• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New shiny toys :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

So finally got around to buying my new parts, and am looking for a bit of help with the Support - Driver & Tools on the mobo section, which ones do i need/don't need ? Even on W10, its a lot of stuff to download and install every time i change my system (BIOS update goes without saying i guess), feels like i'm back in WinXP/W7...

Replace sig with these :

i7-6700K - http://ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz

Maximus VIII Hero - https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO/overview/

F4-3200C14D-16GVK - http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14d-16gvk

Good to know about the memory, latest is 1402 :) i should flash BIOS before trying to install Windows then, how do i go about it if ram is not recognized ? don't have any other DDR4 lying around :(

What about all the drivers (Ai Suite aside), will W10 have all of those updated already or do i need to download the lot ? have no idea what half of those are for, coming from AMD.

Intel(R) Management Engine Interface V11.0.0.1136
Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility V10.1.1.7
Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.7629(SonicSuite V2.2.16)
Intel(R) Graphics Accelerator Driver V20.19.15.4285
Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Driver V20.2.4001.0
ASMedia USB 3.1 FW update tool (?)
Asmedia USB3.1/3.0 Driver V1.16.26.1
RAMCACHE V3.01.00
ASUS Lighting Control V1.01.09 (?)
KeyBotII V1.01.02
Asmedia SATA Controller Driver V3.1.6.0
Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Driver Software V14.5.0.1081 / Intel(R) AHCI/RAID Driver

it will boot, just not at rated speeds, Put new BIOS on thumb drive and use the flash BOIS in the tools section of the BIOS

It is easy, you simply point it to the directory it is in and hit go

just grab latest drivers ,

I only install what I need... here is how I do it...

1. Windows
2. Chipset drivers (from ASUS website).
3. Intel ME drivers (from ASUS website).
4. GPU drivers from Nvidia (driver and physx only - not GF experience, HDMI, etc as I personally do not need them).
5. Install all Windows updates.
6. Image base install.
7. I do NOT install things I do not need (extra sata controllers, AI Suite, etc). If you want to use the features, then install them.

As far as updating your BIOS, you can do it before you install windows or after. Your choice. A borked BIOS doesn't bork your windows, just the ability to GET to windows since hte system wont post. Doesn't the hero have a dual bios anyway? Regardless, just throw the latest BIOS on a USB stick and do it through the BIOS. Easy breezy.

Once all my applications and such are installed, I image again. So I have a base image post basic driver and windows updates, and a full blown image (which I take monthly and keep the last two on top of the base image).

But as far as i remember i can't just unload the BIOS file in a fat32 USB, there's a name/extension change involved (or was that only for the Crosshair) ?

I didn't have to do that for the Formula or Extreme. IIRC, it comes in a zup file, you extract it and viola, there is your BIOS file. I leave the file on the root directory so I don't have to drill down. If it sees it, you don't need to do anything with it.

i changed the 1402 BIOS file M8H.cap as per the manual for the Hero and didn't have any dramas updating through the flash back usb port...

Just got the 6700k (surprisingly heavy), still waiting on the mobo and ram, they sent me a weird thermal paste i've never heard of - Halnziye HY710, anyone knows it ? google doesn't show any reviews. Have my NT-H1 ready regardless :p

Last edited:
Just got the 6700k (surprisingly heavy), still waiting on the mobo and ram, they sent me a weird thermal paste i've never heard of - Halnziye HY710, anyone knows it ? google doesn't show any reviews. Have my NT-H1 ready regardless :p

Use the NT-H1. That stuff is just some cheap **** they sent.

Back