• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should my memory run out the box?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

guapao

Registered
I have a brand new setup, asus maximus x hero / 8700k and with F4-3200C16D-32GTZKW

According to both, GSkill + Asus qvl this memory should be compatible.

I have not done anything to my BIOS other than setting the DRAM from auto to 3200 and enabling intel virtualization + vt-d.

I am not trying to overclock anything at this point, just run everything at its base settings.

Now my motherboard is going crazy(not all the times, some times it passes and runs just fine) with qcode 61 and A2(alternating, 61 should be referring to IDE which are completely FINE from what I could check).

Apparently if I remove the DRAM back to AUTO it stops those qcode altogether.

So my question is rather simple, do I need to further customize my memory on the BIOS with proper timings, voltage to actually use it with 3200? Shouldn't that be usable by default without touching anything but the DRAM mhz?

Would anyone have a detailed guide of what I would have to manually change if that is the case? I am rather afraid of screwing voltages and stuff alike.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
The only thing you should do is to enable XMP. It can be on the profiles list / first option which is usually at auto and at least on my ASUS it has options Auto, Manual, XMP I and XMP II (even though memory has 1 XMP profile then for some reason motherboard has 2 exactly the same options).

The only thing you should do is to enable XMP. It can be on the profiles list / first option which is usually at auto and at least on my ASUS it has options Auto, Manual, XMP I and XMP II (even though memory has 1 XMP profile then for some reason motherboard has 2 exactly the same options).

Thanks, I've done that, and it set up everything for the memory(which was frequency to 3200, timings and the voltage) and left everything else untouched as I wanted, it all passed and worked for a day and next day when I turned the computer on... guess what?

I was blessed with a new qcode which again doesn't tell me anything :( now I get qcode AC which according to the manual refers to:

System has transitioned into ACPI mode. Interrupt controller is in PIC mode.

.... What?

The weird thing is, if I pass the BIOS once it will work all day with those settings but next day it will just qcode me in the face again.

Do I have a potential faulty memory or motherboard? or am I doing something wrong here... im out of brain cells...

If it can't boot after restart then you can try bumping VCCSA voltage a bit so if motherboard sets it at 1.1V then try 1.125V or 1.15V. Current voltage should be greyed out next to the box where you change it. You can also try Maximus Tweak 1 or 2 option as it adjust sub-timings which are not in XMP profile in two different ways. MT1 is usually with tighter timings, MT2 with more relaxed. This option is on top of the memory timings window.

If it can't boot after restart then you can try bumping VCCSA voltage a bit so if motherboard sets it at 1.1V then try 1.125V or 1.15V. Current voltage should be greyed out next to the box where you change it. You can also try Maximus Tweak 1 or 2 option as it adjust sub-timings which are not in XMP profile in two different ways. MT1 is usually with tighter timings, MT2 with more relaxed. This option is on top of the memory timings window.

I've set the memories to MT2 and the VCCSA as said.

Really appreciate the help Woomack and sorry on the late replies, honestly I am having a hard time figuring this out because its so inconsistent right now. Like For the past 2 days everything was running fine and Today, I got a qcode again. Then I went to the BIOS checked things up and passed the qcode and now its not giving me any qcode again... and then all of sudden another qcode... is there a more reliable way I could try the memories and potentially make it fail by stressing it or something that could actually mark the memories as faulty?

It shouldn't be a problem when memory is on QVL. I would ask G.Skill or/and ASUS support about it. Then both will ask you to run some tests and accept RMA if there is any issue with the hardware.

If motherboard arrived with first/initial BIOS then try newer version. Update is in BIOS tools and all you need is a BIOS file on some USB drive. Sometimes it works on NTFS drive but in general it's recommended to use FAT16/32/Ex drive.

From diagnostic software you can try memtest/memtest86/memtest86+. It's free and under memtest you will find 2-3 programs.
You can also try something like AIDA64 stability test. In this case use only memory and cache tests (can tick what you want to use). Don't add CPU/FPU or other tests or memory load won't be high enough.

I already updated the BIOS to the latest available when the issue started.

I will try aida and memtest, thanks again for the reply.

If the tests passes just fine what do you think I can tell the vendor to RMA it? I would like to try RMA the memories and if that doesn't work the motherboard later on. I mean in case the qcode keep happening but I find no apparent issues with either.

Oj2Uyur.png

Like this?

VfuBs3f.png

Last edited:
What codes do you get ? ... only A2 and 61 ? ... this is what you get while standard pass without errors. If it's memory then it stops at 5x, usually 55. When it's memory controller issue so lack of SA voltage then is 23 (or something close to 23).

Run AIDA64 for at least 2h. Sometimes errors are starting after 1h.

Yeah it was mostly 61, A2 got AC once and today it was 26(or maybe 2b?) and 49 which is something memory related I think. NOTE that I did press F1 to go into the BIOS but changed nothing from it from what I previously had and it passed the BIOS, which to me it feels really weird as I would expect it to keep failing till I either set it back to default or change whatever may be the issue.

I will leave aida running and post results once I am back, once again thanks a lot for helping me thru this.

Honestly I am not sure what to look for here, but it ran for 2 hours without issues.

Should I still run memtest as well?

u3KWPP8.png
piEdzes.png
nxexQrE.png
Ly2HmHr.png
xNAiNZr.png
sjclkoT.png
73I6RmW.png

Merry Xmas to everyone :)

Hi @wingman99,

Thanks for the reply, unhappily still having the issue, but now the qcode is consistent to 49.

I've also tried swapping the memory to the other slots to no avail.

I am considering sending it for RMA but not sure how to explain to the store the reason and I would need to buy some memory before so I can still use it since I have no idea how long it will take to RMA it(as I need to mail it over, they most likely will check it, and send either a new pair or the same back?). :(

prior to the rma you will need to contact gskill. they will ask you to run some tests and from there they will determine what the issue is. if its memory they will send you replacements of the same type/capacity you have. im not sure if they will send the replacements before they receive your existing memory tho.
if the return window is still active with the store you bought your memory from you can simply go there and swap. this would be the quickest way to have them replaced. if its a computer store they may test your modules or they may ask that you bring in the mb as well.

prior to the rma you will need to contact gskill. they will ask you to run some tests and from there they will determine what the issue is. if its memory they will send you replacements of the same type/capacity you have. im not sure if they will send the replacements before they receive your existing memory tho.
if the return window is still active with the store you bought your memory from you can simply go there and swap. this would be the quickest way to have them replaced. if its a computer store they may test your modules or they may ask that you bring in the mb as well.

Thanks for the reply, I guess I will do that, I can still send it back to the store, unhappily its not in the same town so either way it will take time so I would still need a pair to keep using the PC which sucks for me because ddr4 is so expensive here ;(, I am thinking of getting https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Memory-Size/vengeance-led-configurator/p/CMU16GX4M2C3000C15R and worst case, I will have a kit I can use on emergency or on a new PC or for pure testing on scenarios like these I guess.

The equivalent then would be F4-3200C16D-16GTZKW? Unhappily I can't get a hold of that anywhere within my country and importing would make it cost twice the price due to taxes.

What a nightmare :( guess that is my xmas+new year gift... headache, feeldbadman.

Last edited:
have you tried running memtest86+ like Wingman suggested? if not, run memtest86+ overnight with both modules installed in the correct dimms. make sure xmp is enabled (dbl check that timings and voltage are set correctly). if you see any errors the next day then you know youve got a bad module. gskill memory is really top notch stuff. they are also among the very best when it comes to customer support. if you do in fact have a bad module they will replace it asap. if your return window is still open and you find that one of the modules is bad via memtest86+ youll only need to tell the store that you tested using aida64 and memtest86+ and found that one of the modules is bad. they should swap out your bad modules on the spot with the same set OR allow you to choose a new set.

Thanks for the reply, I am yet to run memtest but I will.

The problem is that there is no local gskill here and the store is in another town(since I acquired it from a site like amazon but local for my country) and even if its in the same town I would be subject to stock availability since those are imported goodies.

Assuming the store would replace it without issues it would take at least 2~3 weeks to 1) send it over to the store, 2) have them acknowledge it, 3) have them send the replacement. Courier takes anything from 2 to 4 days to delivery not counting weekend/holidays, so I am also waiting for the holidays to end around day 2~3 to do anything.

Last edited:
Once again I ask for everyone wisdom here, and thanks for all the input and help thus so far!

So, tried memtest, nothing.

Went as far as buying a new set of memory not happy with the results and with a strong belief it could be the memories and because I didn't had a spare kit for tests in cases like these but yeah it was a no go.

Plugged in the new memories yesterday and today I got qcode 49, this qcode is not listed on the manual so I have no actual idea of what it actually means.

Is there anything else I could potentially check or do before calling it a day and RMA the motherboad?

The new set I got was F4-3200C16D-32GTZR which is also on the mb QVL, I got these in hope that if the memory was or not the issues I would ended up with compatible memories to go for 64g with no issues, hope this kit was the right choice.

Back