• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to read lm-sensors correctly?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

okabekudo

Registered
I had a good lm-sensors setup before but I was forced to reinstall my system, so I completely forgot how to read my temps. Things I want to know are:
What is my socket temp? What's my core temp? I have an AMD FX6300 on a ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0. I found this but I still don't really get it there seems to be two cpu temps one is relative? But which should I look at while stresstesting?
Here's my sensors output:

Code:
 k10temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:        +29.5°C  (high = +70.0°C)
                       (crit = +90.0°C, hyst = +87.0°C)

fam15h_power-pci-00c4
power1:       13.04 W  (crit =  94.99 W)

asus-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
cpu_fan:        0 RPM

radeon-pci-0100
temp1:        +49.0°C  (crit = +120.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C)

it8721-isa-0290
in0:          +2.77 V  (min =  +2.60 V, max =  +0.19 V)  ALARM
in1:          +2.78 V  (min =  +1.76 V, max =  +3.02 V)
in2:          +1.36 V  (min =  +0.01 V, max =  +0.48 V)  ALARM
+3.3V:        +3.19 V  (min =  +3.46 V, max =  +6.07 V)  ALARM
in4:          +1.73 V  (min =  +0.20 V, max =  +0.70 V)  ALARM
in5:          +2.50 V  (min =  +2.33 V, max =  +1.34 V)  ALARM
in6:          +0.77 V  (min =  +0.08 V, max =  +0.30 V)  ALARM
3VSB:         +4.61 V  (min =  +0.38 V, max =  +3.70 V)  ALARM
Vbat:         +3.26 V  
fan1:        1333 RPM  (min =   39 RPM)
fan2:        675000 RPM  (min =  131 RPM)
fan3:           0 RPM  (min =   12 RPM)  ALARM
temp1:        +43.0°C  (low  = +103.0°C, high =  +6.0°C)  ALARM  sensor = thermistor
temp2:        +35.0°C  (low  = -79.0°C, high = -42.0°C)  ALARM  sensor = thermistor
temp3:       -128.0°C  (low  = -85.0°C, high = -75.0°C)  sensor = disabled
intrusion0:  OK

Code:
asus-isa-0000

Your core temps are not showing I think. they should be listed in^ this^ part of the output. Did you run
Code:
 sensors-detect
?

I found a man page that will show where some of the stuff should be @ https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lm_sensors . Arch is considered to be an advanced user Distro (from what I have gathered anyway) but the info should be the same or similar in different distros.

If you want a graphical way to look at the same info:

Code:
sudo apt-get install xsensors

I am not sure if there was additional configuration or if I just had to install xsensors though.

Code:
asus-isa-0000

Your core temps are not showing I think. they should be listed in^ this^ part of the output. Did you run
Code:
 sensors-detect
?

I found a man page that will show where some of the stuff should be @ https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lm_sensors . Arch is considered to be an advanced user Distro (from what I have gathered anyway) but the info should be the same or similar in different distros.

If you want a graphical way to look at the same info:

Code:
sudo apt-get install xsensors

I am not sure if there was additional configuration or if I just had to install xsensors though.

Hi thanks for your reply. I'm actually using ArchLinux as my primary OS for about three years now so I also use the wiki and read this entry. Couldn't help me though.
Yes I ran
Code:
sensors-detect
, actually multiple times.

I already have a gui for lm-sensors called psensors but it doesn't show me much more either because all gui's just use the lm-sensors config! So how do you read your temps? Which temp is what? Is temp2 in my config the socket temp that shouldn't go over 70 degrees C?

if you ran
Code:
sensors-detect

then I do not think all of your information is being read.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=4377797#post4377797
http://blog.felipe.lessa.nom.br/?p=93

both of these pages show additional "temp" entries after the voltage readings. I still dont know which is which though, so I do not know the answer to your question

edit: I dont know why that pic is in this post but dont know how to delete it. I had a portion of my reply that needed it, but went a different direction. the pic is unimportant to what I have said. Sorry for the cunfusion

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    10.7 KB · Views: 3,170
Last edited:
FWIW
K10 is core
Temp1 is socket
Temp2 is board
in2 is cpuVcore

"watch sensors" while stress testing w/wprime to confirm.

Last edited:
Oh sheesh... I didn't see the scroll bar on the code box. That makes my reply completely irrelevant. I still didn't know the answer though. Glad you got it figured out :)

Back