• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

issues with ssd freezing and running very slow (11mb/s); benchmark inside

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

randomlylogical

Registered
i posted this on reddit and recieved no feedback so here we are trying to still resolve this problem. here is the copy paste...
OS: win7 hardware: evga 660gtx video card amd 6300 OK @ 4.6 ghz coolermaster t4 pny 240 gig ssd and regular 160 gig hard drive from an asus netbook asus m5a97 le r2.0 motherboard g skill sniper 8gigs of ram OK @ ~1912mhrz corsair cx430 power supply asus dvd drive.

dA0SF50.png

i built this pc about 18 months ago and have had this recurring problem with my ssd when it is tasked with writing(?) i use the ? as i am not sure but based on my benchmark it makes a little more sense. when i am swapping files from phone or action camera to the pc starts off copying the data at a respectable speed(maybe this is when it is reading?) than just turns into a big suckfest, i.e. very lethargic. in the past the pc would lockup completely and only on a couple occasions provide a bluescreen. often when i restart the pc during these freezes the pc will not recognize my ssd for several minutes or i need to discharge the psu several times than select the ssd from boot menu in bios. i have switched around all the sata ports, at some point i did some sort of power drop something or another to the regedit files; i think this was on the older win7 os. i have dabbled with other solutions as well but they are not coming to me at this time. in the past the complete freezes would happen mostly when watching streaming video on the internet; rarely on youtube. i just found some information about changing the ahci to ide but before i start doing this other stuff i will ask for your advice based on my benchmark and details i have provided. if there are any questions you have to bring more resolution to the problems my pc faces please ask and i will do my best to answer. thank you for your time and live long and prosper!is text with your answer.

The PSU is a little weak for an 6300 and GTX660 IMO.
Also are you using a known good SATA cable?

What does S.M.A.R.T say about the SSD?

How much free space is on the SSD? Does it have the latest firmware installed?

Check that TRIM is working and active (HD Sentinel shows this).

The PSU is a little weak for an 6300 and GTX660 IMO.
Also are you using a known good SATA cable?

What does S.M.A.R.T say about the SSD?
i have switched the sata cab;es that came with the motherbaord. i assume they are good but have not tested them: would i just hook up multimeter and measure resistance?
you may be onto something with teh psu being a little over worked. i had read about ssd's havig issues when being under voltaged....maybe during the times it goes into writing my cpu is causing a dip that the ssd cannot recover from? most of the times my gpu is not doing anything and even when i check my cpu it is also under 5% most the time....still could be the root of my problem.

i just found a link discussing msart so i will d/l and run some software for that part of your response.

How much free space is on the SSD? Does it have the latest firmware installed?

Check that TRIM is working and active (HD Sentinel shows this).
167gb open and about 4x.x used. i will try and dl latest firmware as well. i have read of other uses d/ling different versions of achi drivers rather than using the ones with the ssd ; do this sound correct, my memory might be failing me here.

i will work on addressing the two parts to your responses and get back to you guys and possible girls. thank you for your time.

HD Sentinel does SMART, give us the results/screenshots from it and we'll be in a better position to guide you further.

kk. according to windows it says my version of firmware for ssd is up to date but i would imagine there may be a better solution as it seems to be from 2006?
kpTBthn.png
i will now try and copy some files from phone or action camera to provoke the undsired results. it may completely freeze my computer and all data will be lost....at very least i expect my pc to become a turd for the next 30 minutes....it will be a sacrafice in the hopes of fixing this problem.

edit: i have speedfan and will try and log results from smart. thank you thus far!

kk. according to windows it says my version of firmware for ssd is up to date but i would imagine there may be a better solution as it seems to be from 2006?
kpTBthn.png
i will now try and copy some files from phone or action camera to provoke the undsired results. it may completely freeze my computer and all data will be lost....at very least i expect my pc to become a turd for the next 30 minutes....it will be a sacrafice in the hopes of fixing this problem.

edit: i have speedfan and will try and log results from smart. thank you thus far!
That's just the driver Windows uses to talk to the SSD.

The SSD itself has firmware to basically talk back to Windows and read and write data to itself :)
What's the exact model # of the SSD?
That way we can check for new firmware.

a ha...thank you! does this image help at all?
IbaiTrx.png

i just accidentally ran the long test on the 160 laptop hd and it was done in a couple minutes i then started on the ssd and after 15minutes was still left with 80%...f this....pushes me right into teh red zone >.<i will try more later on.

and on a possible related note....these usb ports cause constant issues with not recognizing hardward; i put my phone in and it will make the noise that it picks it up but than does not or it will start than randomly drop out like it just did when transferring a file from the action camera. this happens to my keyboard and mouse too, randomly makes that usb noise as it reconnects itself? if i could have a bought a pc for 2x this and not have any problems i may have considered it. i just want to know which parts of this suckfest are the culprit and i will spend every dying breath i have trying to prevent people from buying this ****...****ing ********

Stop putting it under pressure, it's sounding more and more like a PSU issue, a failing PSU can take drives down with it.

I agree. PSU is being overwhelmed. CX430 wasn't that great to begin with.

Use CrystaldiskInfo to check SMART data instead of Speedfan. Speedfan is not well-maintained.

Make sure you don't have Windows defrag enabled. You don't want to be defragging and SSD on a regular basis.

I Have not seen in this forum for 13 years that I have been here where a PSU solved a HDD or SSD problem.

Do you have a substitute hard drive to test?

Ok looks like some kind of capacitor problem, my best guess would be the motherboard or PSU.

Do you have another PSU to try logical?

I think you should be looking into a new PSU at this point given the USB issues.
EVGA Supernova series are very good PSUs. Worth the money :)

Is the processor overclocked? Is that the 6300 that normally runs at 3.5 GHz?

If I was having any kind of difficulty, the first troubleshooting step I would take is to put things back to nominal speeds. Also an overclocked processor (and probably RAM) will draw more power.

HTH,
hank

i am working on this again today. i have put pc back to default setting and still have issues with the installing of software. the ssd just turns into that at best 11mb/s speed. although it is possible there still maybe an issue with ps i do not have another one to test it with either =/ but my pc is under no stress when this crap happens. i amnot watching any videos, no auxillary programs opened, no broswer opened and i can watch my ram stay low my cpu stay low but my ssd light is begged red. i d/l some trashy pny software and firmware that i recall trying before but will do it again. i will restart my pc and bend my usb ports in a little to help better hold and create more posive contact, that issue may only be related to the ssd problem by way of annoyance. to give some perspective it take my pc 10 minutes to install a 11mb software(adobe viewer just 1 hour ago). i recall a time the ssd was fast all the time but it has been several months. what else can be down to increase the speed at which the ssd writes? i may have to pursue the rma claim again but do not like the idea of installing the os again as it is not easy for me to do.

the pc locked up for the first time in a couple weeks within the hour as well, had to flip switch on ps a couple times so that the ssd will show up in the boot menu, the other hd is always visable only the ssd dissapears durig this problem.

also on the oc, i have ran prime on this oc after i first did it for hours and it was fine.

i will run crystaldisk soon as well. what a big suckfest. thank you for staying with me here.

edit: even slower than i have previously reported
veIfbm7.png

are there any ways for me to try other firmware?

Last edited:
PC locked up?

Well? Do you have another PSU to test with?
Or another computer to test this SSD in?

you have taken the right, first step, remove all clocks and reset system to default.
now pull out the manual, find out which sata port is port #1, plug the ssd to port#1, disconnect all other items plugged into sata ports.
boot into bios, make sure that the ssd is shown installed into sata port #1 and set sata port #1 to ahci mode, reboot the system.
asus sometimes can't seem to be able to locate the sata ports properly in the manual.

Back