• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

THEONE01

Trying to set up RAM watercooling on my new build but not sure how to proceed.

Mobo is Asus Rampage V Extreme X99
Only RAM on Compatability list that supports 64gb is Vengance LPX
Now how to get them ready for a Water block???

Any Ideas?

Let me first ask why do you want to water cool the ram. If it is purely for aesthetics then that is one thing if you are expecting to see a performance improvement out of it you will be disappointed.

My next question is why 64gb ram?

If you insist with 64gb of ram there are some dominator kits that are 64gb and you can use the below water block to mount directly to them.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/ek-r...-for-corsair-dominator-ram-nickel-acetal.html

If you want to stick with memory of of the compatability list them you will need some of these.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/ek-ram-monarch-module-black-2pcs.html

They would require you to take off the factory heat spreader and then attach them to work with the water block above.

Let me first ask why do you want to water cool the ram. If it is purely for aesthetics then that is one thing if you are expecting to see a performance improvement out of it you will be disappointed.

My next question is why 64gb ram?

If you insist with 64gb of ram there are some dominator kits that are 64gb and you can use the below water block to mount directly to them.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/ek-r...-for-corsair-dominator-ram-nickel-acetal.html

If you want to stick with memory of of the compatability list them you will need some of these.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/ek-ram-monarch-module-black-2pcs.html

They would require you to take off the factory heat spreader and then attach them to work with the water block above.

1st) Purely for Aesthetics.

2nd) Why 64gb? Why not? lol But seriosuly, dosnt more = better in terms of ram?

3rd) I would really like to stick to compatibility list so I dont run into any issues with booting, ect. Not sure if the Dominator ram will have any issues with my mobo, if not that is the way to go since it is bolt on.

4th) I am not very confident in my ability to take off the heat spreaders without any damage. lol.

2nd) Why 64gb? Why not? lol But seriosuly, dosnt more = better in terms of ram? More ram is better to a point assuming you can utilize it. Most users can get away with 8 gb but 16gb is kinda the sweet spot right now for most users. If you are doing something that can utilize the ram you will see a performance increase otherwise it will sit there unused and offer no benefit

3rd) I would really like to stick to compatibility list so I dont run into any issues with booting, ect. Not sure if the Dominator ram will have any issues with my mobo, if not that is the way to go since it is bolt on.
The deminator should, and I emphasise should, work. Most ram Will work with the motherboard the manufacturer just cannot test and verify it all. If you want to stick with the compatability list I would suggest getting one of the dominator kits in either the 16 our 32 gb flavor as you will be able to use the first option mentioned above.

4th) I am not very confident in my ability to take off the heat spreaders without any damage. lol. see above

The block I linked earlier is not the only one out there, there are other variants from EK as well as versions from other manufacturers so you will have to look around and find what is pleasing to your eye.

2nd) Why 64gb? Why not? lol But seriosuly, dosnt more = better in terms of ram?

4th) I am not very confident in my ability to take off the heat spreaders without any damage. lol.
1. Fair enough... ram blocks are typically restrictive, not that they can't be used. And there is zero reason to do it (outside of looks).

2. If you can use it, its worth it. Otherwise it is a waste of money.

3. They should work. QVL lists show what has been tested. What isn't on the list doens't always mean it won't work.

4. Then you need to pay the premium for the dominators with water built in to it.

I wouldn't bother... its a money and time suck just for looks. BUT, its not for me! :)

Let's see some pictures when you are done!!!

Thank you both for the info. I think for now I am going to stick with the 64gb vengeance ram with the stock hear spreaders. It is actually less expensive then going 16 or 32gb dominator water cooled. So no ram blocks for me.

What do you do that uses, or comes close to, 64GB of ram?

RAM Disk

With RAMDisk you can turn system memory into superfast temporary storage. Put large files, such as game maps, into RAMDisk and watch loading times fly — you'll never again wait to play. The improved 2014 edition of RAMDisk dynamically allocates memory, so unused RAM is released back to the system when it's needed. You'll even enjoy the bonus of protecting your SSD drives, as RAMDisk reduces excessive reads and writes that can reduce lifespan!
Last but not least, the junction function serves as quick links between files and RAM storage. All files are automatically saved and restored to their specific locations on hard drives when you turn your PC off, then go back to RAM when you power on again.

The only downside of RAMdisks is if you want to make the data "permanent". When you turn off the machine, it has to make an image of the RAMdisk and copy it to a non-volatile disk. When you boot the machine, it has to copy the image from the non-volatile disk back into RAM. Depending on the type of disk, this can take some time.

For most games and applications, you won't really notice a difference as compared to a quality SSD.

I have 32 GB of RAM in my system, and use 16 GB for a RAM disk when I am doing intensive FDE simulations...this was quicker/easier than altering my code to use 16 GB worth of RAM.

Good luck!

Running that much ram can also cause problems when trying to run a high overclock. That much ram can be hard on the IMC.

Limits the higher end. That is about it.

IMC = Integrated Memory Controer. It's on the CPU die, whereas a few generations ago, it was in the northbridge.

Are you dead set on using Corsair memory or are you flexible??????

Here is the reason that I ask:
About the middle of last year, I killed 2 sets of Corsair Vengeance/Pro and a set of G.Skill Ripjaw X memory from overclocking. I contacted their Tech Support To request a RMA # and was asked why by both companies. I told both companies that I had computer memory of theirs that no longer worked. Again both companies asked how they died. One of my major faults is that I'm to honest. I informed both companies that their memory died from overclocking.
The Response From Corsair: I was FLAT OUT TOLD that if I had exceeded the timings, speed, or voltage listed on the memory, I had voided any warranty I might have had on the memory!!!! RMA DENIED

The Response From G.Skill: Is there any physical damage to the outside of the memory stick.(like throwing it against the wall) My reply - NO....Their reply - RMA APPROVED and I also received "We are sorry for any inconvenience that this might have caused you.

Thanks for reading

MM

Are you dead set on using Corsair memory or are you flexible??????

Here is the reason that I ask:
About the middle of last year, I killed 2 sets of Corsair Vengeance/Pro and a set of G.Skill Ripjaw X memory from overclocking. I contacted their Tech Support To request a RMA # and was asked why by both companies. I told both companies that I had computer memory of theirs that no longer worked. Again both companies asked how they died. One of my major faults is that I'm to honest. I informed both companies that their memory died from overclocking.
The Response From Corsair: I was FLAT OUT TOLD that if I had exceeded the timings, speed, or voltage listed on the memory, I had voided any warranty I might have had on the memory!!!! RMA DENIED

The Response From G.Skill: Is there any physical damage to the outside of the memory stick.(like throwing it against the wall) My reply - NO....Their reply - RMA APPROVED and I also received "We are sorry for any inconvenience that this might have caused you.

Thanks for reading

MM

Yeah GSkill is top notch when RMA. No questions asked. I had bad experiences with Corsair products and will not use them. I'll use anything else but Corsair.

Not sure if anyone is still watching this tread but I have some updates and some more questions.

So sold my Asus board and now im looking at getting the Asus Rampage V Edition 10 so i can run the new I7 6950x Broadwell.

Not going to worry about w/c RAM anymore, decided that was a waste of time and money. lol.

So now this brings me back to one of my original questions, What RAM should I run?

Yes I am stuck on 64gb.

I would really like to buy the top end Dominator ram, (CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 64GB (8 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model CMD64GX4M8B3200C16)

The highest speed on the comp list is DDR4 2800

So ensues my dilemma. Any help would be nice thanx.

Back