• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR2 2GBx2: not sure what's wrong with memtest86+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeyRicardo

I have tested the sticks separately and they pass the test.
I also tested with another program (pc check 5.0) and they pass the test.

But when I put them together the test doesn't even start (though red + is blinking).
I have tried on two different MB (both AMD chipset), and if I boot into win7 they cause all sort of BSODs, HDD corruption and freezes. Or they just don't start, that is reset the CMOS for instance.

RAM is KVR800D2N6/2G (2 pairs)

One pair which I already had, always worked perfectly.
So I am not mixing different RAM (though I was able with no problems by 2x1GB from corsair, 5-5-5 also)

On M2N-SLI Deluxe I could change DDR2 voltage as well as clock, for instance; but not sure what's wrong and how to solve for good.

What can I assume? Is RAM defective or just it does not match up?
Can I adjust some parameter manually to be able to use it with the sticks I already have?

I am not sure it is defective and be in a position to claim for replacement.
What would you do?

thx a lot in advance, ricardo

You state that you have 2 sets of 2? 4 sticks total?

My first guess is that if you look at the individual chips from one set and compare them to the other set, there is a difference. If that is true, then the two sets may just not be compatible. With that as the case, update the BIOS on your MB and see if that does not clear up the issue.

Another option would be to swap which set is in which slots. The slower of the two should occupy the first channel. If the faster set is in the first channel, it will try to force the slower set to go beyond its capability. If that does not work, then the two sets just may not like each other.

My first guess is that if you look at the individual chips from one set and compare them to the other set, there is a difference. If that is true, then the two sets may just not be compatible. With that as the case, update the BIOS on your MB and see if that does not clear up the issue.

Another option would be to swap which set is in which slots. The slower of the two should occupy the first channel. If the faster set is in the first channel, it will try to force the slower set to go beyond its capability. If that does not work, then the two sets just may not like each other.

Yes, chips are different between the older and the new kit; and I am under last available not beta BIOS.
I'll try in a few hours what you suggest with pleasure and hope.

I just wonder if it's only a problem of "speed" why the two DIMMs of the new kit, on another AMD MB, which has two slots only, still does not boot with both (but it does with either of the two).
I guess they should with some kind of manual adjustment, perhaps.

(well, provided they are not faulty, as each one passes the test, I wonder how they do not match up each other, and it doesn't make any difference ganged or unganged as I tested in both conditions; and I am talking of two sticks of the new kit, having same chips of course)

My update. I realized that the new kit is "reg ECC", which I 'd completely overlooked.
So on the machine with two slots only I enabled it in the bios and it seems ok.

Where I was supposed to use it, instead, with other 2 sticks, non-ECC, I am not sure what to do, because if I enable ECC and mix them up not sure whether it will work.
I'd like to test it, maybe running memtest86+ with ECC enabled, but if you have some advice your welcome to point out...

I never would have guessed that this was the problem. Good catch and good luck.

Back