• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Hardware coming from AMD, Nvidia, & Intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nihilus

So it looks like AMD will be releasing 'Polaris', Nvidia will be releasing 'Pascal', and Intel will be releasing 'Broadwell-E' within the next month or so. Any thoughts or solid information (rumorless) about this new hardware?
Will Nvidia still be the better route? Will even an 8 or 10-core Broadwell-E CPU be worth the price for PPD and PPD/watts. Now might be the last chance to get a descent price on older hardware, FYI.

Your biggest gains for ppd are with video cards. We won't see any video cards until later on this year. Broadwell-E will be expensive, the 10 core is expected to retail here in the US for nearly $1500.

I wouldn't recommend cpu folding on its own, now if you want to get a meaty cpu to power your gfx cards and fold on the side then I would consider the 10core, however buy a board that can take a xeon and go moar cores. Price wise Extra Spicy is your friend. I scored a pair of 12core ivy xeons for £950 last february

Rumor is that Pascal cards will be out in June. Haven't seen a release date for Broadwell-E, but looks like June or earlier based on Intel comments.

I'd guess the 10 core Broadwell-E would produce 100-150K PPD. Even if we assume 200-250K PPD due to a much higher bonus (which seems unlikely to me), this is low PPD/$ compared to a video card. A $300 GTX 970 will easily produce 250K PPD, usually more. While I'd love to have a 10-core processor I can't find a way to justify it.

GTX 970 prices seem to be dropping which makes another 970 tempting. Think I'm going wait and see how Pascal performs.

Given that Pascal will come out in June, I wonder what that will do for the resale market of GTX 970/980 cards. Unless Pascal delivers a significant PPD advantage over the existing offerings, it might be more cost advantageous to catch some good deals from the influx of used GTX 970/980 that hit the market.

EDIT: Better article

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3067...80-and-1070-kick-more-***-than-a-titan-x.html

"The GTX 1080 will cost $600, or $700 for an Nvidia designed edition, on May 27. The GTX 1070, meanwhile, will cost $380—or $450 for an Nvidia edition—on June 10."

"Nvidia’s new GeForce GTX 1080 is far faster than the Titan X, the fastest graphics card in the world today—and even faster than two GTX 980s in SLI."

Last edited:
Back