• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird Happenings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

So lastnight I reinstalled Elder Scrolls Online AGAIN and this morning I get up and steam and all it's games, plus a couple other non steam games are all deleted!
I am so pissed! However Elder Scrolls Online and 1 other game survived the deletion. I ran Malwarebytes, Kaspersky, Spybot and even Hitman Pro and nothing was found.
Sound like a failing hard drive? What could have happened?

Buggy Steam? Are you running Steam Beta? Checked all your Steam settings/preferences?

Someone in the household who would rather you spend time on something other than games? (And with the knowledge to remove them or at least google how to do that?)

If the drive was going bad, I would expect some kind of error messages if mass quantities of data were getting lost. And why games and not the OS?

Someone in the household who would rather you spend time on something other than games? (And with the knowledge to remove them or at least google how to do that?)

If the drive was going bad, I would expect some kind of error messages if mass quantities of data were getting lost. And why games and not the OS?

^ My first thought. Does this mean we're paranoid, LOL? :chair:

We're going to feel really bad about throwing virtual rocks at the OP's family if it turns out to be some innocent glitch, or the cat walking on the keyboard. :shock:

No one uses this pc except me and the OS is on my ssd. Oh, and chkdsk found nothing wrong.

Last edited:
are you sure you didnt accidentally delete them off of there? or are you sure they were installed before hand?

Found out at bleepingcomputer.com that this is a known problem with Elder Scrolls Online. I now know what NOT to do next time I install it.

Bleepingcomputer.com is a computer malware/virus detection and help site. The problem with Elder Scrolls Online is if you don't put it in a created folder and just let it install onto the drive it can delete games/programs. This last time I just installed it on the drive without creating a separate folder for it. From now on I'll be making separate folders for ALL games and programs I install.

Or not use such an invasive application? Why should one have to create a folder outside of its default location/installation path (unless they want to, not HAVE to) because some jenky application deletes it? Stop using the application!! You really don't need 'one-offs' in your system.... I can see future thread now, "Where is Elder Scrolls installed?" when you forgot you did that (I would!).

weird ESO never did that to any of my games on any of my machines, and i just used the default install setup, next, next ok, ect.

It appears to be a CD installer/uninstall 'thing':

There is a major and frankly inexcusable bug present in the installer included with the on-disc version of The Elder Scrolls Online. Basically if you change the install path from “%systemdrive%Program FilesZenimax Online” to anything else that does not include the “Zenimax Online” subfolder, the installer will delete everything else in the folder you select. Depending on your folder of choice, that could be as severe as wiping an entire hard drive!

https://gamerhorizon.com/2015/01/28/psa-dont-let-elder-scrolls-online-delete-files-folders/

Back