• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No more Pc specific sound systems.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When I updated the surround sound system in my family room, I took the old one and connected to my PC.

Optical link.

Playing computer games in surround is...sweet!

You can get yourself a low cost surround sound system! :D

I don't know how much you're looking to spend or how much room you have, but these sound pretty good http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8792VY7451

You'd be hard pressed to equal the sound quality without spending a lot more. By a lot I mean a couple hundred more. Unless you want to build a pair. These http://www.parts-express.com/overnight-sensations-mt-speaker-kit-pair--300-706 sound amazing as near field monitors but there is soldering and gluing required.

Dayton Audio B652-AIR are also a good choice if OP want to spend a bit less.

It has left and right channel out and should be able to power speakers.

TINY speakers, like headphones.

Amplifier
Suitable Speaker Impedance 4-8O
Maximum output power 24.4W (RL=4O, THD+N=10%)
13.9W (RL=8O, THD+N=10%)

If they want something to fill the room and sound decent, they will want a more traditional solution (A/V receiver).

Here's an example with a brand I'm somewhat familiar:

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-CB-20-Bookshelf-Speakers-Black/dp/B001RPZUIY

MINIMUM output wattage is 20W at 8ohm, even for the smaller CB-5 [5" drivers]. The headphone amp he was looking at only outputs 14W MAX at 8ohm.

Last edited:
MikeJ, there's some decent PC speaker solutions out there that won't break the bank.

You will need to get very small speakers to work with this headphone amp, limiting the overall frequency range and volume produced. The benefit is likely a slightly crisper sounding solution (due to decent DACs/components), but for music and gaming you will want more than anything paired with this amp could offer.

I don't know how much you're looking to spend or how much room you have, but these sound pretty good http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8792VY7451

These *might* work, but I can't find a solid minimum wattage value anywhere (not even on Pioneer's own website). With a 4" driver they'll lack a lot of low end. It really depends on how big the room is and what distance you'll be listening, as well as what your expectations/intentions. I'd think that for $250 (amp + cost of speakers) you could get a really nice pair of dedicated PC speakers that will have a fuller overall sound. Does Klipsch still offer a decent 2.1 set?

For near field monitors with the selected amp they *will* produce sound. Low end extension from just about any desktop speakers is going to be lacking. For that, a subwoofer would be required. So far I haven't seen the OP state he wants to "fill the room" with sound.

So far I haven't seen the OP state he wants to "fill the room" with sound.

It's not *just* that, as I've qualified above. The output power has a lot to do with creating a quality sound from the speaker. Poorly powered speakers can sound murky.

For near field monitors with the selected amp they *will* produce sound. Low end extension from just about any desktop speakers is going to be lacking. For that, a subwoofer would be required.

Most people want a full range sound, so yes a sub is usually desired in a desktop setup due to lack of space for floor standing full range speakers. People usually listen to music, videos, and play games on their computers. All of which contain a dynamic range of sounds/noises. Full range speakers are cost prohibitive here anyway.

As I also mentioned above, there's plenty of 2.1 PC speakers available that will come in well under the $250 projected budget that would likely offer better overall playback flexibility. I really don't feel that you'll find a better balanced 2.1 setup for $150:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch...lack/9382232.p?id=1218095770265&skuId=9382232

Most of the newer onboard sound cards/chips are decent enough for most uses. I don't think a dedicated DAC is really going to buy a ton more clarity, so my conclusion: get decent speakers first, then see if you feel like the sound card is holding you back. The odds are the sound card is sending an adequate signal, and the most gains to be made will be in the quality of the playback device (speakers).

Last edited:
You have a headphone amp NOT a speaker amp. In any case I would suggest the
JBL LSR308 8" Two-Way Powered Studio Monitors
~$250, 56 watts, 37Hz - 24kHz. TBH, I would have bought these over the ones in my sig though they are a bit larger with an 8" driver. The LSR305's are $150 and have great specs too. 43Hz - 24kHz at 41 watts.
Source: B&H Photo

Another vote for the JBL LSR308, or if you have more money to blow, Yamaha HS8.

Yeah, check out the Dayton B652 speakers. Really decent for the price.

I stick with fibe out to an S.M.S.L. SD793ii DAC/headphone amp > Nobsound MS10 hybrid amp (upgraded tubes) > Polk TSi100 bookshelf speakers on Audioengine DS2 speaker stands. Sounds fantastic for both music and games although it does show up games with low bitrate sound unfortunately.

Please don't use that thing for speakers. It'll sound like garbage. Outputs 24W at a THD of 10%, in other words, sounds like the death scream of a raccoon. Get a real amp dude. Seriously. Otherwise, just pick up a pair of powered speakers. You'll be better off. Want a great desktop sound system? Pick up a pear of JBL LSR305 studio monitors and an Audioquest Dragonfly. Sounds fantastic.

Another vote for the JBL LSR308, or if you have more money to blow, Yamaha HS8.

LSR's sound better IMO. JM2C.

Seriously OP, you can either spend $800 on a real entry level amp and speakers, or you can spend a couple hundred on LSR305s and have only maybe 10% worse sound.

Having seperate amplification does not magically make for better sound. Lots of speakers with integrated amps sound spectacular.

Back