• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help me save on my electric bill.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

donuts

I don't have massive resources available, though with the weather warming, I am seeing the electric bill climbing.
I've got 2 cards folding. A GTX 950 and an ATI 7950, I also have a R9-290 not running yet.

What would I be better off with? The current 2 cards, the R9, or chuck them all and invest in a GTX 970?
Opinions? AC has been running and the heat of summer hasn't hit yet, though it has been in the 80's...

I've also got cpu's on Rosetta, once they're dialed in, they may be shut down for the summer. (I'll figure that out as I go.)

I'd ditch the 290 and 7950 being 250W and 225W cards. Perhaps consider getting lower powered nvidia cards in replacement.

There is a list in many places that shows how many PPD /W for each card. I'd use that as a reference.

in my back to back testing the 980 pulls within 10-20 watts of my 970 ftw+ @1500.
970ftw+@1500 = 300,000 ppd
980, non ti, just an msi gaming, = 400,000 ppd at 285-300 watts for the rig.

dumby........
Hey! I resemble that!

FWIW, I just ticked "Finish" on the 7950, should be done in about 10 mins. The 290 is still sitting on a shelf in the back room, hasn't been put into service yet. Been eyeing the Rosetta cpu crunchers also... Currently trying to stabilize what I have before the "shutdown". Living in a trailer in SC, been fighting with the heat already. My biggest power draw is the AC.

If I wait for Pascal, the 980's may drop in price.

you have company up your way, atminside lives in charlotte.
hey!!! that's north Carolina!!!!

Geography lesson passed! lol
Take the backroads s/se and that's me. I commute to Charlotte almost daily.

For those that don't know, Charlotte is close to the border of NC/SC

The 1070 is suppose to be only $380 and releases in June. Not sure of ppd but it could be higher than a 980 and will be very power efficient

Yep. I'm currently watching the market to see what the 980's do before the current stock is gone. I'll be replacing any 7970's/280x's that I can to reduce heat and power yet increase my ppd.

Thought I'd update. GPU's are either shut down or sold. Folding production is 0, so anyone I passed or would have passed, RUN! lol.
I'll be back when the weather cools.

FWIW, most all my Rosetta rigs are also shut down. Good time for maintenance.

Your name was in quite a few of the weekly updates. I am looking forward to your return. If there is anything that we can do to lend assistance, let us know. Otherwise, feel free to continue posting with updates, lend assistance to any other folders and be happy and well.

Back