• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video loss issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeff G

I have an issue that just started, not sure how to fix.
I recently upgraded to Windows 10, I started with a fresh start on everything and have all updated drivers.
Two issues I'm also noticing, which I don't know if they're related, is with my bios update I no longer have access to voltage in the bios. I have to use overdrive to set voltages every time I boot up the computer; and when I look at the gpu in overdrive my memory is at 1575 even if I drop it down to 1000 in afterburner.

I've tried dropping my clocks on everything one at a time and nothing helps my video loss issue. The screenshot is what happens, it's random and seems to happen more frequently with video editing. Restart is the only way to get it to go away.

Windows 10 os
Msi 890fxa-gd70 mb
965be cpu
HD 7950 gpu
Catleap 2b Extreme monitor

20160522_172013_zpsrtajxbka.jpg

Last edited:
I know my hd 7970 does not like the newer drivers. I have to run older driver sets to get it to perform correctly.

You mention a BIOS update, I'm assuming it's on the card? Have you tried rolling it back?
The motherboard bios is what I was referring to, but I have updated drivers for everything else. I was hoping when I started fresh with all new updates I wouldn't have issues but I seem to be having more issues instead.

- - - Updated - - -

I know my hd 7970 does not like the newer drivers. I have to run older driver sets to get it to perform correctly.

I'm running the beta drivers now, I'll try rolling back to the last ones. That could be the issue.

Old drivers actually made it worse. I got about 10 seconds of no lines though, and noticed gpu scaling was turned on. Turned it off and it works great even on the new drivers.

And it's back. Turned down my overclocks, no effect. Rolled back to old drivers, still happening. The only solution that seems to work is to drop my monitor to 60hz.

I've never had issues before, but now that Im on Windows 10 it happens very frequently. Gaming, it locks up about 10min in. Open google and it crashes instantly.
Overdrive and afterburner both launch with windows boot up, even at 110hz and full overclocks I can play around in those programs with no ill effect all day.

I just can't seem to pinpoint this. Why does Google Chrome crash it instantly, but games take about 10min?
Ive also gotten a solid red screen a couple times now, no idea what that is. Cold boot is the only solution when it happens.

And it's back. Turned down my overclocks, no effect. Rolled back to old drivers, still happening. The only solution that seems to work is to drop my monitor to 60hz.

I would have thought a bad monitor mainboard...

Back