• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Cortana, you're fired!"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Anniversary update locked Cortana to Edge for web searches and I don't think the default search engine for Edge can be changed (Bing). I think. LOL

I have Cortana disabled... well, she still runs as a task. Forgive me for not making the leap (reading, lol) that you were talking about the cortana/search bar while we were talking about searching in the broswer....

No Forgive me for not making the leap Alaric was talking about Cortana to Edge web searches lol.

Does anybody miss XP? The good old days, when all you needed to worry about was a spare 3-4 hours to install an OS and track down umpteen million drivers? Me either, but I'm closer to it than I was a month ago. LOL

Win 7 was/still is my favorite. No version of Windows was without issues. That's what you get when they release beta software to the public lol.

W7 is my favorite, too. I miss the simplicity of OS' prior to W8. The worst problem was breaking it and having to reinstall. LOL

Windows 7 is also my favorite I did not have to reinstall it all the time like I did with XP. With all this telemetry going on in the background of windows 10 to help find problems with the OS I can't believe Microsoft still has huge amount of update fixes that I keep track of with every patch Tuesday. When is Microsoft going to fix almost everything in the OS it's 10/1/16?

I know M$ has a long history of screwing up their OS but they really outdone themselves with Win10 haven't they ? Every new patch seems to bring new problems. I know this happened with WinXP/7/8 but not at this scale ?

Last edited:
For most users, winten is ok. It's mostly picky power users who hate it. Well my wife hates it too and she just browses and plays online games.

This thread is a 400 post hodge-podge of Microsoft bashing and often times repeated circular criticism by the same people.

The original poster is not interested in the thread title so that the very purpose of this thread has become a never ending Microsoft hate fest. Some say that answers are allegedly scattered in this 400 post monster thread. That is not an acceptable answer because this thread will get search hits and ocforums gets #1 Google search hits and not rarely either... People tend to find what they are looking for when they visit us here.

In this case, will they find out how to disable Cortana when they come here? They certainly will *not* read four hundred posts to find something that may or may not work.
It is October of 2016. At some point the repeated Microsoft hating posts by the same people need to switch to coherent requests about Windows 10 that 9/10 times can be accomplished.

Yes we get it that "you shouldn't have to..." but if you need to use Windows 10... to that end, if you are reading this post and want to contribute in a meaningful way, make a numbered coherent precise list of what *exactly* you have on Windows 10 in regards to the thread topic that you cannot modify?

1. ?
2. ?
3. ?

That way, we can definitively establish what can and what cannot be resolved.
I am on the latest build now and can definitely test whether things can be implemented or not.

The original poster is not interested in the thread title

More accurately, no longer interested in the original problem.

I have gone through my posts here and cleaned up as much as I can. I deleted irrelevant posts where possible. Posts with links were left in the thread. The original intent was how to work around things that were annoying and irritating in W10, so a certain amount of complaining was inherent to the subject. I have put my disclaimer in the OP. There is a lot of good info in this thread and I previously tried to put most of it in the OP for ease of use. Since I no longer have or care about W10, I'm outta here. I'll be happy to come back and continue adding relevant links/instructions to the OP if desired. I can be PM'd for that. Thank you all and good luck.

More accurately, no longer interested in the original problem.

I have gone through my posts here and cleaned up as much as I can. I deleted irrelevant posts where possible. Posts with links were left in the thread. The original intent was how to work around things that were annoying and irritating in W10, so a certain amount of complaining was inherent to the subject. I have put my disclaimer in the OP. There is a lot of good info in this thread and I previously tried to put most of it in the OP for ease of use. Since I no longer have or care about W10, I'm outta here. I'll be happy to come back and continue adding relevant links/instructions to the OP if desired. I can be PM'd for that. Thank you all and good luck.

TL,DR; The fix to Windows 10, is to get rid of it. :thup:

I think that's all 390'ish + post summarized.

This thread is a 400 post hodge-podge of Microsoft bashing and often times repeated circular criticism by the same people.

Yes we get it that "you shouldn't have to..." but if you need to use Windows 10... to that end, if you are reading this post and want to contribute in a meaningful way, make a numbered coherent precise list of what *exactly* you have on Windows 10 in regards to the thread topic that you cannot modify?

1. ?
2. ?
3. ?

That way, we can definitively establish what can and what cannot be resolved.
I am on the latest build now and can definitely test whether things can be implemented or not.

I agree with the Windows bashing but sometimes is necessary to vent the frustration M$ so loves to put upon us. Think about it like this, if we didn't give a damn about it we wouldn't be pitching in to help. I have posted several times that its a decent OS. No longer on par with 8.1 for multiple reasons but still decent.

If you want to help as well and are in the latest version then try out the links in the first page and find out which ones work, which ones don't so we can keep updating the thread :)

I am finishing up my re-installation of Windows 10, since now you have to re-modify Windows 10 with every major new build.

I already knew how to "disable Cortana" as far as just using the search and not Cortana.
I already knew hot to switch away from Bing, I am writing down every step of my modification process.
When I am completely done with the new build I will post a new thread dedicated to just Cortana and this thread can remain a Microsoft basing thread that it is, maybe just change the thread title to Microsoft, you're fired! to reflect the thread topic better.

One thing i usually do and works well against the "dreaded" update page and other nasties on wife's setup, install Win10 completely offline, as in physically plug out the internet cable. Do an offline account, don't plug it back on until you use SU10 or go through your own anti-M$ list and use 3rd party updater's so you can pick and choose. Takes about the same time as a normal install. The rest is somewhere in the links on the main page :clap:

<sarcasm> I don't know what this thread is talking about. Win10 is a miracle worker. </sarcasm>

My laptop has a problem where it won't shutdown all the way without long pressing the power button after shutdown has completed (and cannot restart on its own without another manual press of the power button) this bug has kept me from getting updates to Win10 since the initial forced upgrade. I had not received the anniversary upgrade yet until last night (or some sort of major update came through last night). Win10 in all its miracleness found a way to make my broken lappy restart normally all the way through the update!
That is purely amazing to me because this thing has been acting up since I upgraded the proccessor about a year ago. I looked for the cause but never found it and decided I didn't care about a small issue like that. Of course now that the magic upgrade is done, the laptop is back to normal behavior ( must hold power button to completely kill power after full shutdown).
In case anyone is wondering about what point I am trying to make: this laptop has received 0 Windows Updates since it was forced to Win10, even though it asked to install updates at every shutdown. Last night it apparently got tired of missing updates and temporarily repaired itself to be able to install the AU.
Am I making a mountain from a molehill or is that the kind of story that inspire horror movies? Up until now I've been trying to work with Win10 on a provisionary basis (I thought I would give it a fair chance to score points) , but I think I will be using the ISO from the other thread to head back to Win7 for this particular machine.

If this is going to continue to be another w10 'hate' thread... we have one of those already...

We dont want to close it, but if the OP is not going to assist and keep it updated in line with the title created, perhaps another thread is warranted and we will close this one. Two rants threads are one more than needed. :)

but if the OP is not going to assist and keep it updated in line with the title created, perhaps another thread is warranted and we will close this one.

M

OP gets your point.

I get your point. And I didnt think posting what happened with my laptop was ranting, Ill revise my opinion.

And I didnt think posting what happened with my laptop was ranting, Ill revise my opinion.

I LOL'ed but i'm weird like that :rofl: ATM were pretty much stuck until Win10 users starting trying out stuff and tell us if they work or not so...

For the record, again. I deleted rants/complaints, etc.. I edited several posts to leave the issue/concern and remove the editorial. I left my posts with links that I felt were relevant, containing either instructions or information, and I have offered to continue doing so for the duration of the thread. I started it and will continue to try keeping it coherent and useful if that's what is desired. The only solution to my original problem was Windows 7. That was a personal choice. Windows 10 simply will not provide all the things I want from my OS, and the things it will do "my way" take a ridiculous amount of jumping through hoops and having to do it all over again every time it updates. That isn't a rant, it's a statement of fact. I don't like it, I no longer use it. As for the "other" W10 bashing thread, that one struck me as more of a fanboy forum, IMO, and I'm locked out of it. That is, in part, why this thread exists.

I have no wish to denigrate anyone who chooses W10. That is a personal choice (in most cases). If anyone felt I was disparaging of them for their choice of OS, I apologize. That was never my intent. I left the thread because I don't have W10 anymore, I won't be privy to the updates/issues, or be able to find solutions to any problems because I don't have a W10 OS to work with. All I can contribute is organizational in nature. I'll follow the thread, and try to move solutions/answers to the OP so people looking for those answers can find them without having to follow Alice through the Looking Glass.

edit: I haven't been able to figure out how to change the thread title again, or I would have done so.

Back