• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video Card Driver Version affecting Overclock Stability?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
Do video card driver versions affect GPU overclock stability?

I think the answer is yes. From my own experience...about 6 months ago my 980 Ti and 980 just couldn't hold an overclock (driver crashing in windows to low GPU clock speed, having to reboot my PC to get the GPU running at full speed again.) Heck - while folding, I had to leave the GPU clocks at stock and increase the voltage to keep the driver from crashing.

With the latest NVIDIA driver releases (don't remember the number) I am having no difficulty overclocking my 1080, 980 Ti, and 980. Heck - I am now overclocking the GPU my 980 Ti way higher than I ever did before.

So - is this true and have other people seen better stability with the recent NVIDIA drivers?

Thanks!

Usually newer drivers = higher performance = lower max OC. I guess it's because new drivers are using more graphics card resources but sometimes it's related also to power saving features.

Back