• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't update Windows 7 installs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Could you clarify.
Why is visiting Windows Update and going through this problem necessary when in theory, SP2 should apply to SP1 (with or without additional pre-req patch) OFF LINE.

Theory is one thing. What works in the real world is another. What works works and what doesn't doesn't. Life is too short to always have to figure out a nice, neat perfect solution to every problem that fits theory.

http://www.wsusoffline.net/docs/

Are you referring to this? I'm going to try this now next time I install Windows and see how it works out.

Edit: This looks like gold to me, but that could just be the long days and inability to really comprehend new material at the moment fully.

Edit2: This looks like it has the ability to create a SlipSteam ISO as well. Some one correct me if I am wrong?

It will create a limited slip stream ISO. My experience with this product is that it does a far from complete job of gathering updates but enough to allow you to finish the updating process manually with Windows update online. It fixes the bokenness of the Windows update but doesn't find and install the remainder of the updates. The slipstream ISO will contain only the updates tat WSUS gathers. It stores it in a folder called ISO. I haven't actually tried this but I noticed the folder.

If this really does what I think it does I will be so happy.

Sorry habbajabba - this is actually in your MajorGeeks link at the bottom. I should have read into it more!

Edit3: Man, my memory is shot! You posted about this really early on and I missed it somehow.

To recap:
Microsoft released Windows 7 SP2 (even though it's not called that) but that's what it is.
Yet no one we know is able to actually install it, zero people.
And there really is no official Microsoft Web Page for SP2's full download.

Are all these things true?

If you are talking about the Convenience Rollup I have not tried that. I'm pretty sure that's what it does when it finds 230+ updates anyways. The Convenience Rollup is just every update after SP1 and updates before May 2016.

I don't see how this is going to work if your system fails on any of the updates I mentioned in my post. I don't think M$ wants to make it that easy.

Thank you for posting.
Now could you please set me straight.

What is the purpose of the "convenience rollup"?
If not to patch your system with all or most updates up to 2016?

To make the consumer believe that M$ may have actually put forth the effort required to make their product usable again.

This is an old play in their book. They understand perception just as much as the next company.

Most people who have these types of issues think they are just doing something wrong when it fails or give up and upgrade to Windows 10.

Whenever has anything M$ has made been "convenient"?

To recap:
Microsoft released Windows 7 SP2 (even though it's not called that) but that's what it is.
Yet no one we know is able to actually install it, zero people.
And there really is no official Microsoft Web Page for SP2's full download.

Are all these things true?

Apparently, either the "SP2" update is broken or the prerequisites are broken or the information about what prerequisites are needed is wrong. And apparently, what once worked with this SP2 stuff is broken again. And Microsoft doesn't seem to care. They aren't being very helpful in this matter, are they?

Be that as it may in reality, I think we could figure out how to jump through those Circus hoops to install W7SP2. It may not be convenient or easy but is it impossible? It may be a matter of figuring out the sequence of pre requisites?

Last edited:
Be that as it may in reality, I think we could figure out how to jump through those Circus hoops to install W7SP2. It may not be convenient or easy but is it impossible? It may be a matter of figuring out the sequence of pre requisites?

I've done roughly 10 or more installs of Win 7 Enterprise since June 20th. I've also reinstalled Windows 7 Pro on my own machine. Every single time it was a different update or series of updates that needed to be installed manually. Some machines required more than others. I had an HP ProBook 650 G2 that installed all updates flawlessly after running the Readiness Tool.

I should add that I also ended up troubleshooting different issues with each one. Some the services were shot. Others just failed updates over and over until I manually applied the correct prerequisite.

The 2 HP 640 G1's I had were a pain in the ***, straight up nightmare scenarios. I don't know if the model has anything to actually do with the issues because I had several HP 6200 towers that were all inconsistent with each other.

I don't think there is a clean cut way to solve this right now.

The only thing I can ask you or anyone reading is this. If OFFLINE, someone installs W7+SP1.
They cannot just apply the downloaded SP2, correct? No one can?

Then could you link to the few patches that you think may be the pre requisite so that someone, and if that someone doesn't come though, then me, can test the pre requisites to find which ones result in the OFFLINE SP2 finally going through,

I've done roughly 10 or more installs of Win 7 Enterprise since June 20th. I've also reinstalled Windows 7 Pro on my own machine. Every single time it was a different update or series of updates that needed to be installed manually. Some machines required more than others. I had an HP ProBook 650 G2 that installed all updates flawlessly after running the Readiness Tool.

I should add that I also ended up troubleshooting different issues with each one. Some the services were shot. Others just failed updates over and over until I manually applied the correct prerequisite.

The 2 HP 640 G1's I had were a pain in the ***, straight up nightmare scenarios. I don't know if the model has anything to actually do with the issues because I had several HP 6200 towers that were all inconsistent with each other.

I don't think there is a clean cut way to solve this right now.

This!

The only thing I can ask you or anyone reading is this. If OFFLINE, someone installs W7+SP1.
They cannot just apply the downloaded SP2, correct? No one can?

Then could you link to the few patches that you think may be the pre requisite so that someone, and if that someone doesn't come though, then me, can test the pre requisites to find which ones result in the OFFLINE SP2 finally going through,

According to Microsoft you must first execute a script:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3125574

I could not get the script to execute.

Then, install this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369

I couldn't get it to install. It appears to simply be a new version of the update tool which turns and turns and never gets anywhere.

Then lastly, install the Convenience Roll up

I am currently battling the fact that there is no Enterprise SP1 image of Windows 7 available. Go figure.

It appears there is on the VLSC, but when you go to download it it is just the .exe files for 32 and 64 bit to install the updates. No mtu or any documentation on how to slipstream SP1 into your image.

The how-to-geek article is spot on for DISM usefulness, but what it describes is useless without having SP1 integrated before hand. I am attempting to use the Windows System Image manager to see if I can somehow integrate the updates from the SP1 .exe into the .wim file.

Edit: Wow, there is no official release for SlipStreaming SP1 into any version of Win 7.

Working through this now - will let you guys know how it goes. There has to be a way to get this working so a fresh install of Windows is complete with updates...

Last edited:
I am currently battling the fact that there is no Enterprise SP1 image of Windows 7 available. Go figure.

It appears there is on the VLSC, but when you go to download it it is just the .exe files for 32 and 64 bit to install the updates. No mtu or any documentation on how to slipstream SP1 into your image.

The how-to-geek article is spot on for DISM usefulness, but what it describes is useless without having SP1 integrated before hand. I am attempting to use the Windows System Image manager to see if I can somehow integrate the updates from the SP1 .exe into the .wim file.

Edit: Wow, there is no official release for SlipStreaming SP1 into any version of Win 7.
I never saw an official Windows ISO where you can choose 34 bit or 64 bit.

Welcome to the forums.
File ei.cfg controls which version of Windows 7 is automatically installed.
It is located inside the /sources/ folder.

If you remove this file, you will be prompted which version of Windows 7 you wish to install.

Or you can edit this file in Notepad and set which version of Windows you want installed automatically. For example, if the DVD is for Ultimate version, simply change the word 'Ultimate' to any other version you would like to install automatically:

* Ultimate
* Professional
* HomePremium
* HomeBasic
* Starter

I never saw an official Windows ISO where you can choose 34 bit or 64 bit.

You can download an ISO here using your CD-Key: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

I have a Volume License Servicing Center account with my company - this allows for us to access all of Microsoft's products and their respective ISO images for installation.

You should always be able to choose between 32 and 64 bit - most installers contain both. At one point I had a 43-in-1 installer that had every version of 7 you could think of on it.

Welcome to the forums.
File ei.cfg controls which version of Windows 7 is automatically installed.
It is located inside the /sources/ folder.

If you remove this file, you will be prompted which version of Windows 7 you wish to install.

Or you can edit this file in Notepad and set which version of Windows you want installed automatically. For example, if the DVD is for Ultimate version, simply change the word 'Ultimate' to any other version you would like to install automatically:

* Ultimate
* Professional
* HomePremium
* HomeBasic
* Starter

This is true, but if you want to have both 32-bit and 64-bit on one disc the process is a bit more involved but there are step by step tutorials out there that even I can figure out. I am sure this is taken for a given, but you also will need a product key for the appropriate version, meaning, if you install Ultimate you will only be able to activate it with a key meant for the Ultimate version.

I was able to integrate SP1 into my Enterprise 64-bit installer using that guide I posted. It was tedious, but worth it just for that.

I don't know if the convenience update was applied right now it is searching for updates and I'm going to give it sometime before giving up on it and assuming it's bugged.

Edit: It looks like it worked up to the April Service Stacking update... so the Convenience Roll up did nothing even though I added it to the catalog with DISM.

Last edited:
Back