• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't update Windows 7 installs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
mini update tool is a bust as far as I'm concerned. And I have the latest version as far as I can tell. The links in Mr. X's post in that forum you link (Wilder Security) Kenrou are no longer valid except for the first one which is in a language I do not know. WSUS does work.

Too bad, sorry i couldn't be of more help :( My father says its working well with he's Win7 Pro 64bit but he's the type that installs, updates and then doesn't check for updates for months/years in a row (said it's been 8 months since last time he installed, so that might have something to do with it :shrug:

Yeah, I think minitool update is out of date. It seems Windows 7 update gets busted all over gain with practically every new round of Windows updates. There seems to be no once and for all fix for the problem but rather a running battle. Obviously, Microsoft is not willing to invest the resources necessary to fix the root of the problem but seems to be just patching it on the fly with band aids. For the time being at least, WSUS seems to provide a working third party solution.

Could someone clarify this please, if you have the Microsoft Rollup that equals SP2 downloaded, can you not just apply the couple or few of pre-requisite patches, also off line, to then apply SP2 and be updated like that before even connecting to see how long of a wait it would be, which it shouldn't be if you are off-line updated to Rollup SP2 like that... Why go to Windows Update before the off line Update Install?

Could someone clarify this please, if you have the Microsoft Rollup that equals SP2 downloaded, can you not just apply the couple or few of pre-requisite patches, also off line, to then apply SP2 and be updated like that before even connecting to see how long of a wait it would be, which it shouldn't be if you are off-line updated to Rollup SP2 like that... Why go to Windows Update before the off line Update Install?

I haven't tried it offline - and maybe that's the key - but otherwise I have not been able to get this approach to work. I can't get the prerequisites to install.

Well with a massive amount of patches, surely that's key.

Maybe people can post just what these pre-requisites are (for them) before the SP2 download finally could be applied?
Who has applied Win7 SP2 successfully, and what did it take for you?

The August ISO rollup was ~600mb and on my sys I used a total of 4 little security patches, one for IE, and it didn't help updates at all. It's for multiple OS's. Imho, worthless.
I think when using the OS's built-in update function, the windows update service shoiuld be started with delayed auto. Using wsus or minitool it should be off and manual.

All right. Is there anyone here who has successfully updated their system using the rollup download and if so how did you do it, after applying what pre-requisites exactly on your system?

Its either a zip or iso download of folders for the different flavors of windows. Self-explanatory. You have to extract them manually.

I think anyone who has Windows 7 installed on a machine and is current on the updates had better start creating images of it on a regular basis in case they ever need to do a reinstall. You just can't count on being able to get the update to work when you want it to.

And I do know that with WSUS you nee to start it with the computer not online. That does not seem to make difference one way or the other with mini tool. I couldn't get it to do anything either way.

Last edited:
FFS, my tablet's backup instructions say to use what's built in (backup or image). Neither works on a fresh oem slp install. I've tried acronis, macrium, drive image, redo backup, and one other. Either they can't restore, or the boot media doesn't boot. I tried clonezilla, coukldn't be easier and I can bet money it will reimage when necessary. Haven't tried it yet though. My tablet has 4 parts but I think I finally found the free working solution. BTW, clonezilla's image is over 3gigs smaller than the gui based macrium image I made earlier. Macrium's boot disc sucks. My backup media is a wd elements 1tb usb3 drive formatted exfat (with tons of data on it already) which isn't even on the clonezilla filesystem list.

The thing with Macrium is they issue frequent updates and your rescue disc has to be made from the same version as the image you are restoring from or it won't work.

I have noticed that newer laptops fight you when it comes to booting off external media such as USB sticks and optical disks. You need to make sure Secure Boot has been disabled in bios and maybe some other bios settings like CSS or CCS or something, whatever that is. And then pray it will boot from the rescue medium. Went through this very recently with a customer's laptop. I think this is all related to a growing obsession with security. Makes IT a nightmare when passwords are not known or hard drives die.

Last edited:
Yes, you also need to enable the legacy mode on some of those laptops. It all can be done but time consuming, unless you write down exactly which setting needs to be changed and where it is for next time ;).

Someone here should format, fresh install Windows 7 + SP1, make an image, and then begin experimenting what it would take to install the roll up on freshly installed 7+SP1. It's crazy counting on Windows Update, even if it goes through it would take forever compared to Rollup/Win7SP2.

Yes, you also need to enable the legacy mode on some of those laptops. It all can be done but time consuming, unless you write down exactly which setting needs to be changed and where it is for next time ;).

Someone here should format, fresh install Windows 7 + SP1, make an image, and then begin experimenting what it would take to install the roll up on freshly installed 7+SP1. It's crazy counting on Windows Update, even if it goes through it would take forever compared to Rollup/Win7SP2.

You wouldn't have to make an image. Just create a restore point immediately after the fresh install w/SP1 before attempting updates.

My tablet defaults to uefi but legacy is nbd. It has hardware buttons for booting to bios even if it won't boot. When I finally got update through MS working it took a tad over 30 minutes to get the 120 downed & installed. Pus a couple reboots for a couple other small ones. The drivers it suggested were wrong. One thing to consider is each time you successfully use windows update it messes with your hosts file to reenable telemetry bs which may or not have been disabled or deleted in tasks. I open HostsXpert, make writable, rerun antibeacon, and gwx panel just tbs, then have to relock the file when done.
TG windows 7 keeps control with the user. 10 is just not gonna happen ever it seems.

This last update issue I had was because I deleted services I do not use. Defender, backup, error reports, etc.. It's ridiculous but expected that by removing useless services MS gives update problems for a fully functioning brand new oem $$$ device.

Last edited:
Whatever works in experimenting to replicate exactly what is needed for SP2 to kick in to updating SP1.
It's beyond crazy there is no write up on this. If I couldn't make my 8 be identical to 7, I would be all over this but my 8 has 7's UI complete with Media Center so there is zero reason for me to waste time on this other than for archival purposes.
We need another volunteer.

All right. Is there anyone here who has successfully updated their system using the rollup download and if so how did you do it, after applying what pre-requisites exactly on your system?

It's completely random and varies machine to machine, at least in my experience so far I have found minimal consistencies. Today I applied the Windows Readiness Tool first - KB947821. You know this is successful when it takes a bit to install. On some machines it applies within 15-30 seconds, but does absolutely nothing. You restart and you can apply the patch over and over again with zero results. After I applied the Readiness Tool I ran the Updater Troubleshooter because I could tell already Updates were timing out. It came back and told me it had fixed previous failed installs (even though none had failed yet) and that it had fixed the service registration from being corrupt or missing. Then I restarted and Windows found 161 updates and went fairly smooth from there. It took all day to install that section of updates so I don't know if there are any more updates being found after this point yet until tomorrow, but I feel confident that this one might be okay from here on out.

Other machines like I've previously posted about are a total nightmare. I was purely in a state of troubleshooting the "current update" issue at hand when I was applying these so I was still playing whack-a-mole with what was wrong. This particular machine would install some updates - then go back to an infinite loop searching for updates.

This is what I have been using mostly for Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit - I used a few (4 or 5) on my own PC which is running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

Here is the list of patches I had to manually install by date of release. This first is important despite its contents.

Windows6.1-KB2506143 - Description of Windows Management Framework 3.0 for Windows 7 SP1 - This is an update that enables developer/IT related tools (PowerShell, WIM, OData IIS Extension, etc) I think it is necessary for Framework 3.0 to function properly. It has a lot of requirements check out the page for the details - there are a lot. Ain't nobody got time for that. 1/4/2013

Windows6.1-KB947821 Windows Readiness Tool (also info about DISM tool in there) October 2014

Windows6.1-KB3020369 April 2015 Service Stack Update - This one is definitely key/Important.

Windows6.1-KB3078601 Security Patch from 8/18/15

Windows6.1-KB3102810 This is supposed to be a fix for slow installing/searching of updates. From October 2015 - last revised in Nov 2015.

Windows6.1-KB3109094 Security Update 12/8/2015

This is where I usually find anywhere between 160-230+ updates available for install after a restart. I install those updates and sometimes it breaks again after this point.

Windows6.1-KB3138612 Windows Update Client from May 2016

Windows6.1-KB3161608 June 2016 Roll Up - Important, but gets removed later on to some extent. See July 2016 Roll Up.

Windows6.1-KB3164033 June 14 2016 Security Update

Windows6.1-KB3172605 July 2016 Roll Up - Fix for Bluetooth drivers, removes June Roll Up to an extent. There was an article posted about this that is in this thread already.

Windows6.1-KB3179573 August 2016 Roll Up

After manually patching these I finally got that one nightmare laptop fully updated and was able to install Office 2016.

-- Diagnoistic Tools I used--

There are also these guys which have helped me troubleshoot (kind of, if you can call what they do actual diagnostics/troubleshooting you could have fooled me).

WindowsUpdateAgent-7.6 - This has only worked for me on one computer, my own personal PC with Windows 7 Pro.

WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab Supposdly diagnoises what could be wrong with your updates. Was really only useful for letting me know the service registration was missing or corrupt.

This is a walk through for resetting update components. This helped unfreeze the updater sometimes. There is a FixIt that does the same process, but I find it isn't very useful (it does nothing most of the time) and you are better off going the manual route.

To reset the services I would type this in cmd prompt (Run as Administrator or you'll get permission errors):

net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc

Then start them again.

net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc

Doing this will also help you see if a service is the issue and you can try to troubleshoot getting that working again prior to throwing random updates at your machine.

I have yet to try this, but this is the method I will be using to slipstream the updates into my installer to hopefully avoid this issue in the future. This might prove helpful in creating a better installation so in the event of needing to reformat you can do so without the pain.

How to Slipstream Updates into Windows 7 Installation

Credit for this guide really belongs to everyone in this thread mentioning updates and diagnostic tools. I wouldn't have gotten as far as I did as quickly as I did without the suggestions I found here.

I hope this helps those of you still stuck. :salute:

Last edited:
c627627, I already know how to fix the brokenness of the Windows 7 updater and that is to start the update process offline using WSUS. It will restart several times and when it is done there are about 9 updates it has installed. But the important part is it fixes the problem with Windows update being broken. At that point I get back online and finish the update process with the native Windows update which quickly finds 200+ more updates and installs them without issue in several steps with several restarts in an efficient way. No need to experiment anymore as far as I'm concerned. If I need to deploy a machine with Windows 7 I now have a scheme that works for the updates.

Could you clarify.
Why is visiting Windows Update and going through this problem necessary when in theory, SP2 should apply to SP1 (with or without additional pre-req patch) OFF LINE.

c627627, I already know how to fix the brokenness of the Windows 7 updater and that is to start the update process offline using WSUS. It will restart several times and when it is done there are about 9 updates it has installed. But the important part is it fixes the problem with Windows update being broken. At that point I get back online and finish the update process with the native Windows update which quickly finds 200+ more updates and installs them without issue in several steps with several restarts in an efficient way. No need to experiment anymore as far as I'm concerned. If I need to deploy a machine with Windows 7 I now have a scheme that works for the updates.

http://www.wsusoffline.net/docs/

Are you referring to this? I'm going to try this now next time I install Windows and see how it works out.

Edit: This looks like gold to me, but that could just be the long days and inability to really comprehend new material at the moment fully.

Edit2: This looks like it has the ability to create a SlipSteam ISO as well. Some one correct me if I am wrong?

If this really does what I think it does I will be so happy.

Sorry habbajabba - this is actually in your MajorGeeks link at the bottom. I should have read into it more!

Edit3: Man, my memory is shot! You posted about this really early on and I missed it somehow.

Last edited:
Back