• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel 6850 or 6900

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

H2mike

Registered
I want to build a 4K video editing machine with either a 6 core 6850K
or a 8 core 6900K.

I am worried about keeping these under 80 degrees C at full load using Prime95.

I want to overclock both about 15% which would be 4140 for the 6 core 6850K
or 3680 for the 8 core 6900K.

Is it possible to keep either of these CPUs under 80 degrees C at full load with 15% overclock?

I plan on using water cooling, but my current 6700K 4 core overclocked to 4650 is hard to keep under 90 degrees C on Prime95 and it is only 4 cores.

Corsiar H110i GT watercooling is what I'm using now on my 6700K at 4650mhz and it is barely enough.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

Any reason why you are looking to keep things under 80C while stress testing? We always say 90C... the CPU protects itself at 100C. Does 4K video editing get as hot as a P995 stress test???

It is possible, however you will want a good custom kit like above or just go custom all the way.

Use a custom loop, definitely. I agree with ED hoever, that under 80c isn't necessary, unless you're just looking to keep ambient temperature increase as a result of the machine to a minimum. But if you can afford to run the power for a 6850 or a 6900, I'd imagine a few more dollars for the AC shouldn't be an issue, eh?

Can you save us all 10 minutes and say what the point of that video is? :)

More than 6Cores wont make much of a difference, The maximum was like 10 mins.
He tested I7 6700k, 6800, 6950, And a 22 core xeon or something like that.

If OP has the money he should go with the i7 6900, But if he is a little short on money he should go 6850 and invest the money saved on a custom loop.

Use a custom loop, definitely. I agree with ED hoever, that under 80c isn't necessary, unless you're just looking to keep ambient temperature increase as a result of the machine to a minimum. But if you can afford to run the power for a 6850 or a 6900, I'd imagine a few more dollars for the AC shouldn't be an issue, eh?

Vishera, I don't understand your comment about keeping ambient temperature increase down? The system will produce the same amount of heat no matter What the cooling means.

More than 6Cores wont make much of a difference, The maximum was like 10 mins.
He tested I7 6700k, 6800, 6950, And a 22 core xeon or something like that.

If OP has the money he should go with the i7 6900, But if he is a little short on money he should go 6850 and invest the money saved on a custom loop.

Mark I am going to have to disagree with this blanket statement. He even says that his testing was done for a specific usage scenario and was geared towards stream encoding. Yes the 4 and 6 core performed better when assisted by a gpu, but if you are not gpu assisted the higher core count helps. This will also be effected by If you are running a program that can run multiple encodes in parallel. This is supported by his statement at the end of the video that he recommends testing based on your individual program and codecs as some will utilize cores better than others and his results and usage scenario will not directly translate to other setups.

Last edited:
I can't find detailed specs but these CPUs are ~140W at stock voltage with enabled power saving ( C states etc ). Simply every cooler specified at 200W will handle them at about 80*C or less and there is no need to buy water cooling. Actually AIO are not much better than good air coolers while custom loop is much more expensive.
Personally I would look for something like Cryorig R1, higher Noctua or something similar.
Without raising voltage these chips should run at 4GHz without issues and depends from luck up to 4.2GHz. In some cases you may need to set ~1.15-1.20V what still isn't generating much more heat comparing to stock.

Thank you very much for all the replies.
My room is air conditioned and I keep the ambient room temp around 70 F.
WooMack thinks I can keep the 6900K or 6850 below 90 C at full load with a Cryorig R1. That would be fantastic.
This machine will run all cores at 90-100% load for many hours at a time doing rendering.
The video editing software I use doesn't get much benefit from My GPU except for special effects so most all of the work will be done with the CPU.
You do get diminishing returns over 8 cores, that's why I'm not going Dual Xeon. Overclocking 6 or 8 cores seems to be the sweet spot for encoding.
As for the 80-90C, I just didn't know if running 90C for hours on end would shorten the life of my CPU. It is an expensive CPU!
Thanks again everyone!

I'm not entirely sure that running at 115%, at 90C, 24/7 won't end up with a shorter lifespan than the average user. Given the stated parameters, I would still lean towards custom water, but that's a personal preference I guess.

It will be a shorter lifetime... but, it should still last through its warranted life and more than likely its useful life.

Last edited:
Can't stand the heat... get out of the kitchen... or, pay the extra $25 and get the additional warranty from Intel. ;)

I have never build a custom water loop system before.
I did use a Koolance Exos for 11 years on a Dual Xeon that was overclocked 145% and it is still running. Granted those old chips didn't create much heat.
I was reading stickys on water loops and it seemed like for 1 CPU it didn't make much difference on tubing size, 1 degree C.
With that being said, would the new Koolance Exos with 3 120mm fans do a good job of keeping a 6900K cool when overclocked 115%
They are easy to install and can be moved from Computer case to Computer case pretty easy!
If I have to I will learn to install a custom water loop with your help.
Thanks!

Whatever you are going to do ( except maybe running new Prime95 24/7 ) won't make your CPU to run at constant temps above 80*C. Even during rendering or video editing there will be breaks when CPU temps will drop. I also doubt that you will work 24/7 in these applications. 140W TDP isn't so much when all these higher series coolers can easily hold 200W+. I haven't been testing Cryorig cooler on 5820K but my brother has Ninja 4 in his PC and he is running [email protected] for couple of months without issues.
I don't think that Intel would release CPU which requires large water cooling to only run at safe temps.
If you have money then get water cooling. I'm not saying it's bad, It's just waste of money in this case. I would say if you are going to add graphics cards in the loop then get water cooling as it will really help in graphics cards temps.

Thanks Woomack!
Well the Cryorig and the Ninja 4 are much cheaper than Water cooling and beings I'm not trying to cool the GPU I think I will give it a try.
The Cryorig looks like it might be slightly better. If it doesn't cool enough, I'm out less than $100.00 and can always use it on one of my lesser computers.
I like the fact that your brother is running a 6 core 5820K at 4.2GHz with no problems.
Thanks

Cryorig R1 Universal was about 2-3*C better in my tests on i7 [email protected] 1.2V ( so maybe ~110W ) than Ninja 4. I'm testing everything at 4.2GHz as it's about max at which most processors can run at stock or not much higher than stock voltage so all users can set it without issues. Simply easier to compare in reviews when I always use the same clock ;)

Back