• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob Question: How to choose CPU Cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There is no 2013. It's 2011-3. 2011 and 2011-3 share the same socket size, and therefore the mounting works for both the same. In the same way, LGA 1156, 1155, 1150, and 1151 all share the same socket. If it works on one it will work on another..

There is no 2013. It's 2011-3. 2011 and 2011-3 share the same socket size, and therefore the mounting works for both the same. In the same way, LGA 1156, 1155, 1150, and 1151 all share the same socket. If it works on one it will work on another..

Ah, thanks so much for clearing that up!

I know my CPU is really outdated now, but this is my plan:

Spend around $110 on a good CPU cooler to use currently with the Q9400 and then when I upgrade to a new CPU in the future I take this cooler with me.

Is this the best thing for me to do? I thought about buying a CPU cooler for around $70 like this one https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-ISGC-200-Side-Heatpipe-Cooler/dp/B0028ACYQ8 and then just buying a new CPU cooler when I upgrade in the future.

Advice?

Your whole idea is somewhat counter productive frankly.. You've got an old machine you want to breathe some more life into. Best suggestion is spend as little as possible on it. Save for a new system which you likely won't even need to overclock because it'll mop the floor with your current so much you won't need to worry about anything like that.

I still stick to my suggestion of a Cooler Master 212 cooler of some sort ensuring it has the brackets for 775, and go from there, because you can ALWAYS re-use that in the next build, as you'd realistically only EVER need to change it if you overclock on the next system (and for most, it's not 'required').

Spend the least amount on your current system, and again a reasonable/cheap ish cooler is most likely good enough for your next as well.

Especially if you plan to upgrade anyway.. Why spend so much?

+1 I would just purchase the Hyper 212 I over clocked my new chip to 4.5GHz it runs cool quiet and I can upgrade.

+1 I would just purchase the Hyper 212 I over clocked my new chip to 4.5GHz it runs cool quiet and I can upgrade.

Thanks, but I don't have access to the Hyper 212. I only have access to these CPU coolers:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7702X1552850X16fb684c5e12ecdfea0d5cdb3073cabe
http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001826
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7702X1552850X08d5b64c7a2a1943e2b5dbb18fee98f3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7702X1552850X2c299dce2e7bbcb61eff0d5e4249bff0

- - - Updated - - -

Your whole idea is somewhat counter productive frankly.. You've got an old machine you want to breathe some more life into. Best suggestion is spend as little as possible on it. Save for a new system which you likely won't even need to overclock because it'll mop the floor with your current so much you won't need to worry about anything like that.

I still stick to my suggestion of a Cooler Master 212 cooler of some sort ensuring it has the brackets for 775, and go from there, because you can ALWAYS re-use that in the next build, as you'd realistically only EVER need to change it if you overclock on the next system (and for most, it's not 'required').

Spend the least amount on your current system, and again a reasonable/cheap ish cooler is most likely good enough for your next as well.

Thanks so much for your input!

The reason I was wanting to spend so much on this CPU cooler is that I'll be able to re-use it again when I upgrade in the future to a new CPU and motherboard.

Which is the Cooler Master 212 by the way?

Thanks, but I don't have access to the Hyper 212. I only have access to these CPU coolers:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7702X1552850X16fb684c5e12ecdfea0d5cdb3073cabe
http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001826
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7702X1552850X08d5b64c7a2a1943e2b5dbb18fee98f3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7702X1552850X2c299dce2e7bbcb61eff0d5e4249bff0

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks so much for your input!

The reason I was wanting to spend so much on this CPU cooler is that I'll be able to re-use it again when I upgrade in the future to a new CPU and motherboard.

Which is the Cooler Master 212 by the way?

Yes but you post previous mentioned buying a 70 dollar cooler, then upgrading later... You've changed your mind a couple times. And you mentioned previously only having access to 'x' coolers, then another popped up later??

Noctua NH-U12P would also be my choice, as I'm sure I've mentioned already.

#1 & 4 are incompatable with those sockets so it would be between 2 & 3 and #2 will win everytime. So if you had to chose one of those four it should be the Thermaltake Frio Extreme.

Edit: Verify that you can fit a 160mm cooler first though. We can't tell you unless you can give us a model number. At least measure it yourself if you have no idea what model it is. You should measure from the top of the CPU to the inside of you case side door.

EDIT EDIT: Of those 4 it MUST be #2 as #3 is not listed as compatable with 2011-3

From pg 1 of this thread.

+1. Just find the best bargain for a 775 cooler right now — and that's going to be cheap precisely because it can't fit any other ('higher') socket out of the box, i.e. without a special mounting kit that costs extra.

By cooler I mostly mean heatsink. It will most probably be cheaper to buy a heatsink with whatever fan the previous owner was using (not necessarily the original fan from the manufacturer, not like that's necessarily a bad thing), but some sellers prefer to keep their good fans and reuse them. So should you. So you could, for example, get a naked heatsink and then look for the best fan that will fit. (Absolutely not under 92mm and preferably not under 120mm). When buying such old stuff, the fan may very well be more expensive than the heatsink.

And the difference goes right in the piggy bank for your next rig. Incidentally, your next rig is likely to be Skylake or a newer 1151 Intel CPU, which is a bit more fragile and has otherwise changed construction a little compared to older 115- processors, which affects heating properties and in some cases even damages the CPU due to excessive pressure with standard manufacturer-supplied mounts (it was serious enough for Scythe to give people improved mounting kits free of charge). Hence, you'll be better off with a dedicated 1151 cooler when (if) you get to that slot.

Or, if you saved $80 but still wanted an upgrade for your existing config, you could very well buy a strong 771 Xeon that's easy to mod into 775 or sometimes comes already modded. Those 771 Xeons require a strong chipset like P45 (check compatibility online) and aren't completely safe to use; some damage to the mobo is quite possible; on the other hand, we're talking about an old mobo that would be cheap to replace or you could just accelerate the purchase of a new computer in the odd event the Xeon upgrade actually caused some damage after like 1 year of use or something, which some people have reported experiencing.

On the other hand, you could legitimately ask 'why bother' and skip the Xeon route. A Xeon could run seriously hot on your existing cooler if it isn't a strong one, and OC headroom could be small regardless. By contrast, your Quad could be a better overclocker with a strong cooler if you bought one (but you'd have to check, as there are no guarantees).

Then there's SSD if you don't have it already; at least for the system and some of your most frequently used applications, to speed up reading and writing, if — and only if — you intend to keep your existing system for a longer while. A 128GB SSD should be very inexpensive right now but would be of little use in a future rig.

Back to the original idea of just replacing the cooler and keeping it for a future upgrade (6 months? 1 year? 2 year?), it can still be a good idea if you do it to have some OC fun with the quad in the meanwhile.

This spring I ended up buying a Thermalright Ultra — once a somewhat expensive somewhat high-end cooler — for like $15 shipped, fan included. I was certainly tempted to delay replacing the entire rig just to have a couple months' fun with my old lapped Wolfdale C2D. I kinda I wish I actually did just that and spent money on something more useful than a computer upgrade (nice holidays or some continued education).

The reason I was wanting to buy the Thermaltake Frio Extreme was because it's compatible with Intel: LGA 2011, 1366, 1155, 1156, 775 so if the Q9400 CPU or my current 775 motherboard died I could easily take this Thermaltake Frio Extreme with me to a new CPU and motherboard.

The Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm is only compatible with the LGA 775 socket so if the Q9400 or my current 775 motherboard died I'd no longer be able to use the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm CPU cooler...

Is this correct?

Link to the Thermaltake Frio Extreme make it easier for you guys: http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001826

Bottom line: you have a computer that works. Save all your money and don't bother upgrading it. The only thing you neeed -- if you don't have one already -- is an SSD. I put an SSD on my wife's E7200, and it flies.

If you are bound and determined to buy a heatsink, get a Noctua NH-D15. There are a couple of heatsink's that cool a little better, but they allow you to overtighten hold-down screws. Noctua is the best of the heatsinks that have springs so that they cannot exceed Intel's recommendations. That will solve your future-proofing desire.

But at bottom, get an SSD. If you already have one, your computer should not need upgrading.

No it is not correct. Per your links.

Noctua NH-U12P SE2 COMPATABILITY: Intel LGA1150 / LGA1366 / LGA1156 / LGA1155 / LGA775
AMD AM2 / AM2+ / AM3 / AM3+ / FM1 / FM2
(backplate required

FRIO EXTREME COMPATABILITY: Intel: LGA 2011, 1366, 1155, 1156, 775
AMD: FM1, AM3+, AM3, AM2+, AM2

Edit: Ed, he doesn't have access to all heatsinks. The 4 he listed are the ones available to him. If it were my money is save up for a complete rig. If he's going to buy a cpu cooler only now with potential to fit the most socket of the 4 listed than the Frio is his best option. I've mentioned this to him atleast 3 times in this thread. This being the last.

SORRY! I just double checked the model name and I linked the wrong Noctua CPU cooler model!

This is the correct model, which only supports socket 775:
http://noctua.at/en/nh-u12p.html

I linked to a VERY similar model which was "NH-U12P SE2". The only difference between them both of them is the "SE2" which I assume means "Second Edition".

Your situation is still the same. That noctua cooler has even less compatability.

I don't understand your question here?

The reason I want to buy a CPU cooler that's compatible with LGA 2011, 1366, 1155, 1156 is so that if my current socket 775 motherboard dies I'd be able to use the CPU cooler when I need to buy a new motherboard.

CPU cooler Link: http://noctua.at/en/nh-u12p.html

Back