• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob Question: How to choose CPU Cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok cool. I was just making sure I've answered your questions 3 times now. I'm not sure why your still bringing this up. Is it just to get your post count up or are you trolling or is it something different all together?

You can be assured I'm not trolling.

This is my thinking:

I'm worried that if I buy a CPU cooler that's only compatible with socket 775 motherboards and my motherboard dies I'd be stuck with a CPU cooler that can't be re-used...

Am I correct?

Re-read through all our answers. The question has been answered before. Also check manufacturer websites for specific models and their compatibilities. All the information is there.

Thanks, but I've re-read all of the posts and I'm still not sure what you mean?

Is the "Cooler Master Hyper 212X CPU Cooler" still the best CPU cooler for me? I want a CPU cooler that can easily work with CPU's other than my socket 775 CPU so in other words, a CPU cooler that'll work in the future when I upgrade.

I would go for the Hyper 212X it is easy to install, work well also. Mount the back plate lay the case on the side mount the cooler.

Hey guys, I was just told by the store that they don't have anything to help me as the capacitors that are next to my CPU are really close to my CPU...

Is there something else I can do? :'( :'(

Knock it off. You're wasting everyones time. Pick a budget, state your budget, and stick to it. This back and forth crap is really obnoxious. Also, why are you concerning yourself with multi platform support when you're wrangling with 8 year old hardware? If you're going to upgrade, then wait. If you're not going to upgrade in the next couple months, get something to suit your needs.

The people at "the store" clearly have no idea what they are talking about. You mentioned before you were "buying from a friend", now youre "buying from a store". Pick a story, state your story, and stick to it. You have people with a TON of knowledge that are willing to share it for free, and you can't be bothered to stick to a single series of events. Stop wasting their time.

Back