• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Inconsistent results with Trackpad on Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro with Windows 10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benbaked

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member
I have an odd issue with my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro, specifically the Trackpad. Under the Windows 8.1 that came preinstalled with it, the trackpad works perfectly fine. However, with Windows 10 the trackpad is inconsistent. It will work fine and properly after a fresh boot, but after a while the tracking speed drops and the ability to scroll get intermittent, sometimes the trackpad quits responding for upwards of 30 seconds and then comes back. As far as I can tell the CPU is not pegged when this is happening.

I have tried updating to the latest Synaptics driver from Lenovo's website and that appeared to fix the issue with the trackpad scrolling intermittently failing but that driver makes the trackpad feel terribly jumpy. The cursor loses its smoothness for tracking and scrolling is the same way, its gets so bad that it is essentially unbearable. It makes the trackpad feel like absolute garbage compared to what you would find on a MBP, a Thinkpad, or even a Dell. There has to be a way to fix this. I can adjust the tracking speed in the mouse settings and it doesn't really help. This Yoga 2 Pro is one of those 2-in-1 laptops that changes to "tablet-mode" and disables the trackpad when the screen is rotated around to use it like a tablet, or "stand" and "tent" modes. I don't know if this is related to the issue. The trackpad on this laptop with Windows 10 is so bad that it may make me sell it. A good solid trackpad is far more important to me than a touchscreen gimmick, especially one that doesn't even allow the use of a stylus.

Given the history you share, obviously this is a driver issue. Windows 10 is fraught with driver issues. Many times it is eventually corrected with a new driver later on as the manufacturer and Microsoft collaborate for a fix. Make sure you let Lenovo know about this. You can try reinstalling the original driver and that may work temporarily but it will get bumped again with the next Windows 10 cumulative update.

My experience with Windows 10 synaptic touch pad drivers is that they are not as full featured as the the OEM drivers that shipped with the laptop and it's original OS. For instance, it doesn't give the option to automatically disable the touch pad when I plug in a mouse.

Back