• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PowerColor Devil RX480 overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I remember reading a post by a famous overclocker. It went something like: 'Non-reference cards will already be set to the highest possible frequency. Reference cards have a higher potential, while non-reference will usually max at their current set or turbo setting'. Searching for post atm.

Edit

Couldn't find it. :(

I remember reading a post by a famous overclocker. It went something like: 'Non-reference cards will already be set to the highest possible frequency. Reference cards have a higher potential, while non-reference will usually max at their current set or turbo setting'. Searching for post atm.

Edit

Couldn't find it. :(

I'm way over stock on my non-reference card

I've come to the conclusion that this particular card is already maxed with it's stock 1330/2000 speeds. Anything over that is not stable. Since it's a non-reference card a full cover waterblock is not an option. A universal wb is always an option to go water on it. Maybe just selling/trading it for a 390X is also another option for me. AMD really dropped the ball with the 480 by neutering it to hell.

Thx for the positive advice guys! ;)

I think the 480 is delivering where it should, but advertisement and a gamble on a new VRM style has caused some issues.

You will always get cards that don't OC well. Its part of the process.

I think the 480 is delivering where it should, but advertisement and a gamble on a new VRM style has caused some issues.

You will always get cards that don't OC well. Its part of the process.

Of course. The's the name of the game ;)

Somehow 1330-1338MHz was tested as max turbo clock in all highest RX480 series. Some brands set 1330MHz and were shouting that they have the highest frequency so others set all 8MHz more. It's about max without voltage and power limit adjustments. I don't think it has anything to do with power section as it's not that weak. Maybe controllers are acting weird, I'm not sure but general specs look good.

390X is about the same as RX480 but RX480 will get more driver updates ( 390X is already 3 year old chip ). I see no reason to go back to much higher wattage card only because RX480 is not overclocking as high as you wish. Most of those who are showing 1450MHz in benchmarks won't play at more than ~1400MHz anyway.

Somehow 1330-1338MHz was tested as max turbo clock in all highest RX480 series. Some brands set 1330MHz and were shouting that they have the highest frequency so others set all 8MHz more. It's about max without voltage and power limit adjustments. I don't think it has anything to do with power section as it's not that weak. Maybe controllers are acting weird, I'm not sure but general specs look good.

390X is about the same as RX480 but RX480 will get more driver updates ( 390X is already 3 year old chip ). I see no reason to go back to much higher wattage card only because RX480 is not overclocking as high as you wish. Most of those who are showing 1450MHz in benchmarks won't play at more than ~1400MHz anyway.

Sapphire and xfx are both sitting over that consistently.

I understand that, but the fact of the matter is this particular card does not clock anywhere near 1400, much less 1350. I would be ecstatic if it reached 1400. Hell I would dance the cha-cha-cha it it got 1350. That's only 20Mhz!

Mine goes from 300 MHz to 3500+ MHz on its own. I don't know what qualifies as Turbo.

correction: Catzilla crashes mine at 1350 MHz at the moment.

Last edited:
Do these cards even turbo? The one I reviewed was at a constant clock...

Depends on settings my card stock should turbo to 1342mhz and it wont hold that clock unless you bump the power limit in wattman.

wattman-gaming.png

These are the settings I game with it keeps the fan nice and quiet and doesn't get too awfully hot.

Update: Correction on my earlier post. Turns out I do have stability issues on higher clocks. Catzilla crashes it at 1350 MHz. I haven't played with the voltage much so I'll work on that and see what happens.

My card seems stable at 1400MHz in games but when I run F@H and try to make anything else in this time then I get blue screen ( noticed that yesterday ). 1338MHz is in fact stable clock on HIS, not turbo even though it supposed to be turbo.

Mine goes from 300 MHz to 3500+ MHz on its own. I don't know what qualifies as Turbo.

correction: Catzilla crashes mine at 1350 MHz at the moment.
Turbo is above its listed clocks... power management is what you are seeing. When the card is idle, clocks drop...when under 3d load, it ramps up.

I know I promised not to look at this thread, but I figured I might as well update it with my final results:

Tried again for the final time clocking this card. Found that it doesn't like voltage. So I played around again with the clocks and managed 1345/2200 with a tiny bump in voltage/power limit (15%)

Anything past 1345 on the core results in lock-up/crash. Anything past 2200 on the mem results in white screen/crash. Voltage increases makes it worse. So the happy medium is 1345/2200.

Guess I just have to accept it as is and just run the card. Maybe I'll get another one and run xfire instead of wasting money on a waterblock that it will not make a difference.

Wait, how come you guys are not applying 20% to Power Limit?

This is required to be max if you want any success in OC with RX 480.

Back