• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PowerColor Devil RX480 overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yea, I am aware of the videos and Power Color's warning about not using it with Furmark. Heck Power color even says Furmark might kill a stock card! From what I've seen it seems Power Color cheaped out on the VRM for this card.

Yeah I have to agree as I've seen the proof in the reviews (videos). Looking at the unlocked bios' settings and my original, they seem identical. As of right now my gpu clock is @ 1330. Wondering if the unlocked bios has loosened the mem timings along with extending the power limits? :confused:

I haven't used Furmark or Msi Kombustor in ages. I've killed a card using Furmark back in the day, lol.

I'm checking around to see if other Red Devil owners have used the unlocked bios with success/failures. I'm might give it a shot, but I need to see other's results with it.

That unofficial overclocking typically only raised clock and voltage limits in msi ab.

I didn't have any voltage control in Catalyst or AB at the time I did that. It unlocked full voltage control for me. It was a few years ago, though. I was using AB because of the black screen issues AMD was having at the time.

I have the worse luck with cards, seriously. My 390 could'nt clock worth a damn, and my new 480 is the same way. ASIC quality is 74.8% :rolleyes: The 390 was 72%. Can't get a little overclock without getting a dam black screen or a video crash :mad:

Again stuck at running stock speeds. I know this is a replacement, but it's getting to a point that overclocking isn't any fun anymore. Just set it and forget it. What fun is that? :censored:

Yeah I read that. This is a RMA replacement for the faulty 390 I sent in. I thought I was getting a 390x back, but they (PowerColor) sent this instead. Guess I should be greatful at least :-/

GPU is fine at 1330 MHz. I haven't played with the VRAM yet. My games aren't very demanding. I can max them out at stock card settings.

Had to update-correction: Catzilla crashes mine at 1350 MHz at the moment.

Last edited:
Wow nice! I wish I can get 1375 on stock volts, but best I'm getting atm is 1350. Stock is 1330 :( Unsure what I'm doing wrong.

Honestly, I don't think you would see any difference anywhere but a benchmark between 1330 and 1375. It's fun to get "more" out of any processing unit, but the benefits are frequently up for debate. LOL.

RX480 stock/reference clock is 1120MHz/1266 boost. You get the highest available versions at 1330+MHz what was tested as max stable by at least 3-4 brands so don't expect much more out of it.
My card runs up to 1400MHz without issues and in benchmarks up to ~1450MHz.
As I said earlier, don't set max voltage or OCP/OVP will lock the card and you get that black screen ( depends from load ). On stock this card reaches ~200W. It's power design is max 225W so what you expect raising voltage and bumping power limits ? I haven't see any RX480 with more than 1x8 pin PCIe power connector and reference cards have single 6 pin and this would be bad for OC.
Set memory clock to the max so 2250 and this should help some more than core clock. At least on 256b cards and less it usually gives couple of FPS more.

When you OC RX480 then first unlock power limit and check if boost clock goes any higher ( gpuz works good for that ). Then raise clocks without any voltage adjustments. Then check the same at max fan speed ( or 70%+ ). At the end when you feel that you stuck, start with voltage adding +10mV each try. Run something like 3DMark with demo or anything else for 10 mins+ to check if you won't get black screen or artifacts.

Simply VRM are good, cards are good, BIOS unlock won't help at all. Cards won't OC better without higher voltage and to stabilize it you have to lower temps and deliver more power. With single 8 pin connector it's not possible. Best results on LN2 are ~1600MHz right now when on air/water you can make 1500MHz on some cards.

Last edited:
The Woomack, but the card is a dud. Overclocking mem results in black screen, 1350 on core is maxed. Anything beyond that is black screen. Powerlimit in Trixx is maxed @ 5. No amount of voltage will help. Only thing that does help is the fan curve I set for temps.

I wasn't expecting anything out of this 480 aside from being sure it worked as it should. Anything beyond that was a bonus.

This is stock speed as is shown in GpuZ. No adjustments made.

*Edit*

After using your suggested settings, the card isn't stable with the mem @ 2250. Best it can do without issues is 2200. I was able to get the core to 1345. Anything pass that caused issues. Power limit is set to +5 (max). Gpu voltage is default and no mem voltage. Temps don't esceed 65-ish under load.

Attachments

• GpuZ.gif
    GpuZ.gif
    34.2 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
I had stability issues using Trixx on my card. It was showing black screen at any OC. Wattman was working better but AB is easier to use. There is also a chance that manufacturer locked something in your card. Generally all RX480 are overclocking to 2250MHz mem. Almost all cards on hwbot have 2250MHz regardless of brand or series as it's max locked in AMD drivers.
I'm not sure why your card is not overclocking higher. I guess that new BIOS can help. I don't believe it's something with the card. More like a software/firmware issue.

I wish BIOS editor for these cards. I feel there can be done some more.
So far I'm not even sure what is the max wattage at full load. I run F@H at full load and AB is showing me 95W max at stock settings and 120W max at +96mV ( when I set +100mV then it actually sets +96mV ). 132W max in 3DMark at +96mV so AB is clearly wrong.

Yeah I noticed that too. When I set 10+mv, Trixx shows me 6+mv after loading. I'm still undecided about flashing to Unlocked Bios.

*Update*

Flashed to the unlocked bios. Power Limit is now unlocked and slides to +50% instead of locking @ +5%. Mem still not stable @ 2250.

Last edited:
After flashing and a few hours, still no joy. 1345/2200 is the max stable. I'm done :rolleyes:

*Update#2*

Gave it another shot. Finally got MSI Afterburner to work. Version 4.3.0 Beta 14.

1350 Core
2235 Mem
+15 Core Voltage
+10% Power Limit

For some reason it doesn't like the mem @ 2250 no matter what I do. Core @ 1350 is pretty much the stablest. @ 1351 it starts to have issues. No voltage settings help. Guess this is the best it's gonna get. Not happy, but not disappointed either. It's an ok card and I am happy I got the free upgrade.

Last edited:
Yesterday I put AIO water cooling on my RX480. Temps aren't as good as I thought but still 10-12*C less and not so much noise. Anyway it let me set max voltage and at 100% load after longer time I saw 185W at gpu in gpuz. +50% power = 225W max but 20-30W will be for memory and everything else so looks like I was a bit wrong in my calculations and these cards should stay below 225W at ~+30-40% or lower power limit so should be stable. 1.25V and +50% power limit will make them reach or pass 225W but maybe OCP/OVP is set lower on some cards ( these black/brown screens ).

Back