• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Those Who have been issues OCing 290's and 7970's on new drivers.. its working!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SF101

The Printer Guru
I posted this on another site i visit aswell but i want to post it here too because this was a real issue with people OCing 7xxx and 290 series cards , cards defaulting @ 150 or 300-350 mhz mem or gpu .. this is a real problem, not just me , i found it on 3 personal pc's and i could not OC for the longest time now on those machines with AMD GPU's i found many other cases of this. it started with AMD oc tools messing up 3rd party overclocking tools aka afterburner or Asus GPU Tweak.

I will say i have had some serious issues with AMD drivers for the last probably 2 years and overclocks not working.

Mainly When any overclock or adjustment was changed the cards would lock into 150mhz core 350mhz mem until i actually uninstalled the driver and reinstalled them.

was happening in single or crossfire.

2 entirely different systems one with a dual 290x config one with a dual 7970 HD config both with or without crossfire i could not overclock.

I posted these issues here and overclockers.com almost 2 full years ago now and had many others seeing the same exact thing with same cards.

A week or two ago i rebuilt the guest pc which has 2x 7970 hds in Crossfire and figured heck ill try to OC them with Afterburner.. and amazingly it worked great set the speeds to what i used to have them run at and aggressive at that.

Working fine no issues with this mhz reset or mhz stuck at 150/350

Tonight I decided to try on my main pc also .. no issues yet on afterburner with newest drivers and newest afterburner .

2X 290X's @ 1235 core atm , MV on core upped and 50% load voltage upped. usually any change was enough for it to freak out and default too 150/350 i went through that literally like 100x before giving up , i was truly hesitant to try it but i saw a ray of hope in that 7970 system so i tried and .. no issues ..

Thank god AMD fixed this it was driving me nuts, knowing my water looped cards could run far faster but also couldn't after some mysterious driver issue related to their "global wattman" introduction in drivers.

This made me loose alot of faith in my AMD GPU's. i will burn their HQ down if it happens next driver tho.

TLDR is , It seems you can OC AMD 2xx / 79xx series cards now with at least afterburner again.

Back