• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case "upgrade/downsize" from Mountain Mods Ascension

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mokrunka

Hey everyone. Like the title says, I'm thinking about downsizing my case a bit. I've recently moved into a smaller place and could use some extra room. Given that I currently have a giant mountain mods case (which I do love btw), there's a lot of room to be gained!

This is however a new problem for me, since I've mostly used very large cases with plenty of room. I'd like to poll the audience and see what you all think about what might be a good option to switch to, given the parts I need room for below... The rig in my signature is the one in question, but I've itemized some of the things I think might be more difficult to accomodate below.

- GTX 1080
- 4X SSD
- 4X HDD
- DVD/CD/Bluray burner (I could probably go without this if I have to)

I'm not even sure what's out there right now, and there are so many options it's overwhelming! Heeeeelp!

Just about any mid-tower would do you... Did you read the sticky in this section already?

What about something like the NZXT H440? Or a Corsair Obsidian 450D? Or a Fractal R5?

Yeah, I looked through it. There are a LOT of cases in there though... I'm hoping to see what else is out there and get opinions on whether a SFF case would work, or other creative solutions.

And I've always liked Obsidian cases, so the 450D is appealing. Just wondering if there's any less orthodox cases that I've missed. For example, someone posted a Case Labs case in the classifieds, I'd never ever heard of that company!

I would think your 8 drives would be your limiting/deciding factor no?

That's what I'm thinking too. And why I'm looking for creative suggestions! SSDs are small so I could likely come up with a custom bracket to stick those pretty much anywhere, but it's the 4 other HDDs that have me worried. And the 1080. I wouldn't mind a really compact case tbh, just not sure if I can make that work.

Thanks Blaylock! I'm trying to steer clear of the full tower to save space for now. I'm starting to look at downsizing my hard drive/ssd game so that I can get the case size down. The bug has also bitten me so I'm thinking about looking at ITX mobos now, since ATM reminded me that my current ATX board won't fit... Plus my ATX board doesn't have an M.2 port. hmmmm.

I am liking that case, Blaylock! Been browsing the micro-ATX boards to see what I could make work. Thank you for pointing this one out for me.

Anyone know if there is such a thing as an mATX board with wifi AND a PCIe 3.0 M.2 port? Looking at the X99 WS from ASUS and the X99 Micro 2 from EVGA but one is PCIe 2.0 and one has no wifi :(

Back