• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC can't handle 4k@60fps. How can I make it so it can?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah tried that, but didn't see that specific option.

New GPU, a small upgrade and still having the same issue.

Have you run speedtest.net , to check the actual bandwidth?

For 60fps, you'd need 30+Mb/s.

ALso depends on the compression algo: can go way above 30Mb/s.

I'd bet that where the bottleneck is...

New GPU, a small upgrade and still having the same issue.

Nope, I have a pretty good internet connection. Also I have the same problem playing 4k files offline. Even 30fps will max out my cpu if the bitrate is high.

I'm really running out of ideas now.

It does sound like AMD has poor VDPAU support. Maybe borrow a Nvidia GPU (750 or better) to check?

Try mpv. In my experience, it supports VDPAU better than VLC does. Also try playing the video fullscreen.

A quad core of a recent gen should not be pegged anywhere near 100% for 4k60fps. Much slower computers will manage what you're trying to do without too much problem.

When your CPU pegs, is it ONLY the one program causing it? At idle on your desktop what's the % usage? I feel like there's something else running in the background that's causing this usage..

A quad core of a recent gen should not be pegged anywhere near 100% for 4k60fps. Much slower computers will manage what you're trying to do without too much problem.

When your CPU pegs, is it ONLY the one program causing it? At idle on your desktop what's the % usage? I feel like there's something else running in the background that's causing this usage..

I go generally have a lot of stuff running in the background. But usually 15% idle. However I can close all those apps that're making up that 15% and I still have the same issue.

i5-4670K OC'ed using the genie built into the BIOS. I believe that puts it to around 3.8/9GHz.

Radeon HD 7950 3GB GPU.

My question is, what is holding playing 4k @ 60fps back? The CPU or GPU?

I figured it was the GPU until I looked at what my cpu was doing when playing the footage and seeing it hit 100% half the time.

Could properly overclocking the CPU help? Or will upgrading the GPU to a EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB help out this this? (I literally have this GPU laying around doing nothing).

I have a 2gb 960gtx and just ran a duplicated 4k 60 fps video on both of my monitors at the same time and it ran super smooth. I think you either have a browser issue or a bandwidth issue. I dont understand why cpu would be an issue. 1 of my cores was running at 5% during the test. that was it.

I have a 2gb 960gtx and just ran a duplicated 4k 60 fps video on both of my monitors at the same time and it ran super smooth. I think you either have a browser issue or a bandwidth issue. I dont understand why cpu would be an issue. 1 of my cores was running at 5% during the test. that was it.

It's not a bandwidth or browser issue because offline vids played on a media player create the same problem.

Out of ideas personally...

Though, you said you OC'd via genie. What are your temperatures? CPU temps? 100% use could occur if you're throttling like mad?? Can you download CPU-Z and maybe HW Monitor or your preferred temperature monitor client and check your temps whilst playing videos/doing things etc. I dunno if we covered this already. And I doubt it given a 212 evo but who knows?!

Humour me and go into your bios and set to optimise defaults.. Your stock turbo is 3.8ghz anyway.

Back