• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG [3D Printed] The Iron suit project -

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cown

attachment.php

Hello boys and girls.

Time for another project to spend all of my spare time on :eek:

Since my last build, I've acquired myself a 3D printer. Since then I've been doing my best to perfect my own, and the printers’ ability to make the most flawless prints possible.
I’ve been printing, more or less, 24/7 for the past 4 months, and feel that I am now ready to jump into a new, and probably the most demanding project yet.

The idea is to create a full size Iron man suit with a built in, liquid cooled, gaming rig. Now as every part is 100% 3D printed, I expect it will take about 3 months, just to complete printing the entire suit, then comes the rest of the processing, the fillings, the sanding, the painting etc. so I hope you guys will be patient with this one :)

I’ve been experimenting with ABS and PLA and have come to feel that I have perfected both materials in terms of the possible quality of the print contra the speed/time it takes to create a good print.

For this project, I will be using PLA. The main reason for this is not that it is easier to work with or process when the print is done, on the contrary, ABS would have been a lot easier to work with, as it is easier to sand, easier to remove and repair failures (acetone and lighter tricks :D), but it is purely because of the fumes that are exhausted when printing with ABS, and since my printer is inside the house, printing nonstop, I don’t want to expose my children to these toxic fumes, and that’s why I’ve chosen the corn based alternative PLA.

Before I continue, I have to give a great shout out and thanks to DaDave, for having inspired me to make this build as well as even making this project possible. He has, from existing pepakura files, converted everything to 3D and actually built a fully wearable Iron Man suit. Make sure to check it out, it’s pretty awesome :thup:

Now on with the project:

MATERIALS FOR THE SUIT:
- 3D printed PLA parts
- Servomotors and arduino board(s)
- LED lighting and wiring
- Home made or modded mannequin to wear/stabilize the suit
- Polyester filler
- Glue... A LOT of glue... :rock:
- Paint (color scheme not 100% decided yet, I'm thinking matt black :clap:)
- Nuts and bolts and probably a lot more as the project evolves.

HARDWARE:
- ASUS ROG STRIX Z270I GAMING mini ITX or the MSI Z270I GAMING PRO CARBON AC mini ITX
- GFX preferably a 1070/1080 GTX or 1080 GTX Ti

The rest is still under speculation :D Sponsors more than welcome lol :rofl:

Now on with the fun part.

I started with the last roll of PLA filement I had left, which happened to be red/orange, but it doesn't really mean anything, since I will fill, prime and paint it into the color scheme I want. I'm just happy it wasn't pink :shock:

The very first part of the suit, the left palm in the process of being printed:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Fingers:

attachment.php

As you can see below I failed terribly with the supports. The bottom of the fingeres went spaghetti on me and even ripped off when the supports were removed. I've already made new fingers, that are without flaws, but the pics are early stage, so I'm wearing the bad ones:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Helm being printed, sadly I didn't take pictures of all the parts being printed, but I don't think that matters once you see the result :):

The top of the helmet/head:

attachment.php

The Jaw:

attachment.php

Bottom of the face:

attachment.php

And finally the helmet completed:

Front:

attachment.php

Front from the side, closed:

attachment.php

Front from the side, opened:

attachment.php

Here I have the left upper arm being printed, again didn't take too many photos of the process, but I think you get the point by know :):

attachment.php

Arms completed:

attachment.php

The re-seller I'm purchasing my filament from, has upgraded/modified the filament I've been using so far, making it more red, I guess doe to complaints from customers, saying it wasn't red enough, I can only agreed :) Doesn't really matter though, as everything is going to be painted, it has no impact on the final result.

attachment.php

attachment.php

A part of the shoulder finished:

attachment.php

Left shoulder completed, here you can CLEARLY see the color difference between the original I was using, and the "upgraded" version of filament:

attachment.php

Here I've finished the chest. 2 Kilos of PLA filament went into completing it ⭕

attachment.php

attachment.php

The arc reactor, temporarily assembled just for the show of it :) I will be adding LED's to it later:

attachment.php

Mounted inside the chest:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here I'm about half done with the suit, it's being supported by some construction wood I had lying around, nothing is mounted together yet:

attachment.php

I am currently working on painting the helmet.

Here I've programmed my Arduino and mounted the servo for the helmet :D:

Stay tuned for more pics, I hope to have more for you in the upcoming week :)

Thanks for looking :thup:

Last edited:
Update 12-01-17

Hey guys

I've finally finished the helmet/head for the suit.

Here are some progress pics as well as finished result:

Filler added, and a lot of sanding has been going on:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Primer and first layer of paint added. I've chosen matt black, it's not dried up yet in the pic, so it looks a bit glossy:

attachment.php

Faceplate ready to get painted:

attachment.php

First layer of fluorescent signal red added, the camera has bad lighting, making it look more orange than it actually is :-/ I am hoping to add a UV light above the suit when I'm completely finished. This will allow parts of it to glow in the dark :D

attachment.php

The finished result, here you can see the red color better:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Lighting added the to helmet:

attachment.php

In the dark:

attachment.php

Here again a small video of the helmet, now painted:

Hope you like it :)

As always, thanks for looking :thup:

Update 04-02-2017

Hi guys

Time for a little status update.

I'm currently working out of town, and will be doing so for the remaining period of February. I hope to get started on the filling, sanding and assembly as soon as I get back home.

But for now, here's a couple of pics of how the suit is starting to take form:

The back, completed:

attachment.php

The front, completed:

attachment.php

The big picture ;)

attachment.php

The hips and legs are all that remain to be printed. I will start again when I return.

I hope you like it and thanks for looking :thup:

Update 22-04-2017

Hey guys

Time for a small update, just to let you know, the project is still at a go.

I've been having some issues with the primers and fillers I've been using, mainly causing cracking in the jointed sections as well as cracking of the paint.

Here are some pics to show you:

Chest with filler sanded down:

attachment.php

Here I've used polyester filler along with a plastic primer, now from a far it looks okay, but if you take a closer look you can see that the joined sections of the parts have cracked through the filler:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I then sanded some more, switched the filler with a glass fiber enhanced filler and the spary filler with a more professional one from Motip, hooping it would be stronger, and keep from cracking.

attachment.php

Now after that I got careless and tested out the black lacquer spray paint on the chest, not making sure I was finished with the fillers, I then had to sand some of it down and reply more filler... Now comes the epic fail.. The paint was acrylic, causing the filler to crack! :cry:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Now what has my stupid *** learned from this? RTFM! :bang head

So my work is still ongoing with the chest, having to make sure I sand down all the black paint, reapply filler and primer, in order to get to the finishing line :eh?:

More pics to come as soon as I've finished fixing my epic fail :eek:

Thanks for looking!

Update 27-04-2017

Hi Guys

So I've "almost" finished the chest. I've added the right color scheme, still need to fix minor cosmetic issues, but other than that, this is pretty much it :)

Black paint added:

attachment.php

Preparing for the red fluorescent, with the yellow filler, it kinda looks like a bumblebee :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

Red color added:

attachment.php

And done, as you can see, I need to remask and reapply black paint to get perfect edges around the red areas, I should have started with the red, after finding out that if there is a darker color below, it will be visible trough the florescent paint, oh well, I guess it's good to learn something new every once in a while :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Started on the hands, the right one is already sanded and prepared to be primed :)

attachment.php

Hope you like it, and as always, thanks for looking :thup:

Edit: For some reason I can't edit the title of the thread with the right update date, it still says 12-01-2017, no matter how many times I try :eek:

Last edited:
Looking great Cown. I can't wait to see the finished project.

To edit the title try clicking "Edit Post" then "Go Advanced". You should be able to edit the title that way.

Looking great Cown. I can't wait to see the finished project.

To edit the title try clicking "Edit Post" then "Go Advanced". You should be able to edit the title that way.

Thanks mate :) Yup, I've done this, more then once, but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

Very cool build. Which slicer software are you using for your prints?

Glad you like it :) I'm using Simplify3D, and am very happy with it. The configuration options are awesome.

How did I miss this??? I'm so subbed I'm growing a periscope. :thup:

Thanks man, I hope I won't disapoint :D

There's a timer on how long you can edit a thread title unless you're a moderator.

There's a timer on how long you can edit a thread title unless you're a moderator.

Damn, well that explains it :) Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Hey guys

So I've now finished one of the hands and wanted to show you guys how it looks :)

Testing and aligning the glove:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Repulsor added:

attachment.php

LED light:

attachment.php

Final testing:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

So after some burn marks :shock: aligning the fingers, making them stick with hot glue while my hand was inside, I've finished one of them, and am pretty happy with the result.

Hope you guys like it too, thanks for looking :)

Back