• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there a way to block tracking cookies?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

Thinking about using a VPN, I am quite sick of tracking on my computer. I'll be passively looking at like a guitar forum, then MYSTERIOUSLY (sarcasm) I start getting guitar ads. Click over to some woodworking stuff, and all of a sudden I start getting wood working ads. It doesn't even appear to be linked together, I'll type in something, and all of a sudden, the ads are tailor focused to my browsing, regardless of the site(s) used.

Will a VPN solve this? Thinking about tunnel bear specifically.

if you go into settings and bring up advanced settings you can check "Do Not Track" under privacy settings. If you go into Content Settings you can then manage and block cookies based on what you are willing to allow.

Gotcha, thanks.

Follow up question ->
"Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed." .... what "background apps" are we talking about here? o_O

Chrome is what use too. I set it to where it automatically deletes cookies every time I close the Browser. There are so many things used these days to identify your PC that it's ridiculous. With clearing cookies and using a vpn (which I typically do both but I often forget to turn it on because I disable run on startup for most programs) that's not even the half of it. If you always do those two it will do a very good job at hiding your identity and location but there are many other identifiers your pc has that sites can recognize. And I have the background sync disabled too.

Gotcha, thanks.

Follow up question ->
"Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed." .... what "background apps" are we talking about here? o_O

I believe it is the google/chrome updater so that it can update in the background

Thinking about using a VPN, I am quite sick of tracking on my computer. I'll be passively looking at like a guitar forum, then MYSTERIOUSLY (sarcasm) I start getting guitar ads. Click over to some woodworking stuff, and all of a sudden I start getting wood working ads. It doesn't even appear to be linked together, I'll type in something, and all of a sudden, the ads are tailor focused to my browsing, regardless of the site(s) used.

Will a VPN solve this? Thinking about tunnel bear specifically.

if you go into settings and bring up advanced settings you can check "Do Not Track" under privacy settings. If you go into Content Settings you can then manage and block cookies based on what you are willing to allow.

All the browsers i have used so far have something like "block all 3rd party cookies" or you can use the addon "Ghostery".

Gotcha, thanks.

Follow up question ->

I believe it is the google/chrome updater so that it can update in the background

Update, downloads, addons.

I never noticed these memory leaks in Firefox everyone goes on about, had 23 tabs open at one point and never went above 3gb usage (with only Ublock Origin, Ghostery and Youtube Magic Actions addons).

Mozilla has made progress with the RAM usage issues, and they don't seem to be universal anymore. I've just never been lucky enough to get around it. I'd probably still use it if they hadn't dropped support for a bit of software that makes checking my email easier. At the moment I'm using Opera and it's a hit and miss mess regarding performance.

Don't make the same mistake i did, having an adblock running on top of the internal adblock :rofl: damned thing was sloooooooooooooooooooooooooow...

I used Firefox till i changed to Opera because its faster/more stable :p do miss the addon store though, half my fav stuff doesn't work on Opera.

I used Firefox till i changed to Opera because its faster/more stable :p do miss the addon store though, half my fav stuff doesn't work on Opera.

Yup. That's me right there. It took me while to find out Opera is way faster with adblock on, though. (Thanks OCF!)

Opera has a built in vpn you can use too. I used Pale Moon browser for a solid two years, one of the fastest browsers ever actually. It's built off the Mozzilla source code, it's earlier versions are totally stripped down. I actually kinda forgot about it there for a little while. I started using the Chromium Binaries and Chrome Canary in September for College because I needed a fully functional Browser and my School id is linked to my Gmail account so I used Chrome. After reading this post I remembered about Opera, Opera was my "fully functional" browser I used long ago. I built this PC right after school started in Fall and just hadn't went full circle yet but I just downloaded Opera again and noticed the built vpn option.

Back