• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Delidded My Intel Core i7 7700K (With Pictures)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SPJESTER

Registered
Delidded my month old 7700k last night. Temps are 20c cooler! Was even able to bring my voltages down a bit!

Before I was hitting 99c on anything higher than 4.8Ghz and throttling me with a Cryorig A40!
So here it is stable with 5ghz before and awful temperature maxing out.

Room temp: 73-75F

LtL4KAP.png

Here is what I used
tKP6xSB.jpg
1AKbigO.jpg

Was in process of cleaning the thermal paste off... lol
WFjPfmy.jpg
wuRuM7e.jpg
AqygnzN.jpg
YNoDQDa.jpg

And here's my after results. 5ghz stable at 1.3v. Barely getting over 80c!!!
Recently had to bump it to 1.310 *Edit*1.360... Battlefield crashed my pc after some time.
6KFIWjh.jpg

My PC Validation http://valid.x86.fr/n29iyw

Attachments

• 6m5xs8.png
    6m5xs8.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Welcome to the club!

I had a account before but apparently was inactive too long and got deleted lol. But good to be apart of the delidded group. Love how my liquid cooler doesnt even spool up the fans hardly anymore.

Any idea why the bios update made the voltage drop like that? But if i use adaptive or auto it still randomly jumps to like 1.4v which is too much. Should be showing 1.310v but it just ignores it lol

Any idea why the bios update made the voltage drop like that? But if i use adaptive or auto it still randomly jumps to like 1.4v which is too much. Should be showing 1.310v but it just ignores it lol

*EDIT*

#UPDATE
- Apparently the ROG versions of CPU-z nor CAM is not working correctly with my motherboard. So i downloaded the ASUS version straight from the motherboard's download section. Steady 1.312.. Kind of odd. Every program except theirs is not correct.

Guess ill just trust the ASUS one? lol
voltage.png

LATEST ASUS CPU-Z
http://valid.x86.fr/s3qe8b

Why do you say every program except their's is giving wrong voltage readings? There is such a thing you know as vdrop and vdroop. And the voltage will go up and down at intervals if you watch it fro a few minutes.

Why do you say every program except their's is giving wrong voltage readings? There is such a thing you know as vdrop and vdroop. And the voltage will go up and down at intervals if you watch it fro a few minutes.

It literally is running at two different voltages, didnt think you could have 2 different voltages at one time. The ASUS one matches what i have in the BIOS. Everything else is 1.2 something. Why is it off? It isn't drooping anything sitting here idling.

when I first started oc'n my 7700K Both HWmonitor and cpuid showed way different voltages than I set in bios. The current update for HWmonitor 1.3.1 now shows better results. I had 4.8 GHz at 1.335 dialed in the bios but cpuid and HWmonitor was reading 1.19 lol

You may have a wonder chip there but you need to stress it longer 111.02 seconds is hardly what any of us would consider fully stable. Load up OCCT or the likes and run it a min of 30 minutes. I'm currently running it at 4.9GHz @ 1.345 fully stable 1 hour OCCT max temp 63c on hottest core (got one that like to keep 5-6 hotter than the rest) average was under 60c so looking at my temps compared to your with less vcore you might want to look at better cooling.

A little about my loop I'm running 2 360mm 60mm thick rads in what some call a rad sandwich with 9 fans during my OCCT run my fans never went over 1000rpm they ranged from 875rpm to 950rpm. Rad sandwich is basically fan/rad/case wall/fan/rad/fan as shown in the image below.

IMG_0609_zpsmlokkryb.jpg

Anywho welcome to the 5GHz club I'm keeping mine at 4.9GHz due to the 1.370 vcore needed to get mine fully stable at 5GHz is way more than I need to push plus whats another 100MHz lol

when I first started oc'n my 7700K Both HWmonitor and cpuid showed way different voltages than I set in bios. The current update for HWmonitor 1.3.1 now shows better results. I had 4.8 GHz at 1.335 dialed in the bios but cpuid and HWmonitor was reading 1.19 lol

You may have a wonder chip there but you need to stress it longer 111.02 seconds is hardly what any of us would consider fully stable. Load up OCCT or the likes and run it a min of 30 minutes. I'm currently running it at 4.9GHz @ 1.345 fully stable 1 hour OCCT max temp 63c on hottest core (got one that like to keep 5-6 hotter than the rest) average was under 60c so looking at my temps compared to your with less vcore you might want to look at better cooling.

A little about my loop I'm running 2 360mm 60mm thick rads in what some call a rad sandwich with 9 fans during my OCCT run my fans never went over 1000rpm they ranged from 875rpm to 950rpm. Rad sandwich is basically fan/rad/case wall/fan/rad/fan as shown in the image below.

IMG_0609_zpsmlokkryb.jpg

Anywho welcome to the 5GHz club I'm keeping mine at 4.9GHz due to the 1.370 vcore needed to get mine fully stable at 5GHz is way more than I need to push plus whats another 100MHz lol

Thanks for a real reply I'll check out OCCT and see what I can do to make it fully stable. It's gotta be close at least lol

No problem let me know if I can help also keep an eye on the min max on vcore I'm betting your CPU is upping the volts to try and keep it stable

IMG_0609_zpsmlokkryb.jpg

Currently up to 1.36-1.376 to make OCCT happy. Been 15 minutes so far all good. Also adjusted my heatsink,unscrewed and tried to screw them back evenly. Getting like 35-36c idle now, Got it to shoot to 81c max so far but hanging around 70 at full load unless OCCT makes it get hot for a moment, hasnt went over yet. I may step down to 4.9 but its nice to see that the chip can do it if i wanted it too. Whats the max decently safe voltage you would run on this cpu? Seems like i got your chips twin brother. Try to keep it below 1.35?

I'm keeping mine under 1.35 for daily use. those numbers look more realistic for 5ghz mine currently at 1.345 for 4.9GHz. OCCT will make it hot for sure if I have some time tomorrow I'll load it up and do a run to show you where I sit. But first thing is the top fan in the middle of my sandwich lol just started making all kinds of noise. going to have to pull it out or at min unplug it

I'm keeping mine under 1.35 for daily use. those numbers look more realistic for 5ghz mine currently at 1.345 for 4.9GHz. OCCT will make it hot for sure if I have some time tomorrow I'll load it up and do a run to show you where I sit. But first thing is the top fan in the middle of my sandwich lol just started making all kinds of noise. going to have to pull it out or at min unplug it

Would you consider my latest safe to use? It passed btw, Core 1 and 3 seem to get the hottest but they come back down quick. Dont think it likes any lower voltage
EspfUu2.png

I myself would stay under 1.35 for daily use but I don't know the long term effects of 1.36 on kaby. My missing parts for my paean case arrived today so I tore it down and redid some things. So I didn't have a chance to do that occt run I also put in another pump and my temps seem a tad higher now than before but I left it running for several hours while it bled out. I'll try to do it tonight

Well i made my fans on my radiator Pull instead of push outwards and low and behold my temps have been chopped down a good bit, seems more stable at keeping its cool for a while. i put the radiator together the way they wanted me too on the box with the pretty fans facing a certain way. But now the NZXT S340 is getting its intake and pushing air out like it should. Its hardly wanting to break 80c on a core now. Also idling 5c cooler!

Before
BM8Mr30.jpg

After
XDpC2Pm.jpg
n7dnLBV.jpg
FErLJUR.jpg
PeJiLtI.png

very nice yeah you were blowing air out the front lol most likely against the front panel of your case.

yeah im going over your beloved 1.35 but not by much, Even with more voltage if it stays under 80 it should be safe as its gonna be from everything i've been reading. Beats the 100c before delidding lol

look at your hw monitor pic it shows 0.68 min and 1.376 max so your needing 1.380 to stay stable. plus looking at that you have something not set right looks like speedstep or the likes is still on. you want it to stay constant when benching and stressing I keep mine constant always. Another thin did you XMP your ram?? if so did you check the sys agent voltage and vciao each manu calls it something different but mine over volted the two and it lead to more heat as well I'm still tinkering mine down but its way under what it auto'd it to. for example sys agent it pumped to like 1.20 which showed white in bios which is good right lol but when you manually type 1.20 in the box it reds it out being a warning. remember thats an example not recalling the actual number atm.

i have it disabled but its like it wont completely just stay at that voltage. It keeps jumping a little but never down always up. XMP is on but dont think i made it do the CPU enhancement bs.

Either way i can post bios screenshots later on tomorrow or something maybe we can figure it out

Back