• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7700k bad chip?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
by stock i mean default voltage/clocks. at 1.25 volts and stock clocks my 7700k will spike under full load to close to 90c, and forget about hitting 4.7-4.8ghz at stock voltage, mines fails occt within minutes past 4.7 volts at 1.28v regardless of voltage. and as stated i saw no temp improvements despite upgrading from a h7 to a h115i simply because the chip randomly spikes from 60-70c to 80s-90s.

in other words i should be happy that i payed 350 bucks for a potato thats unlocked but cant OC and with good cooling heats up like a space heater. i appreciate they input, but running hot is one thing, and some of this sounds like making excuses for intels quality control issues. ive talked to people on other sites and their chips display no such behavior. and they havent been delidded. theres no reason thermals between chips should be so inconsistent at stock voltage/clocks.

My last post on this subject.

You're preaching to the choir. You should be telling Intel everything that you're telling us. We already know.
We gave you the solution. De-lid.
You don't want to do that then there's nothing else we can help you with.
Continue to play the lottery with Intel until they cut you off......and they will. 2 or 3 RMA's for the same issue starts to look suspicious. Like you're binning on Intel's dime.

just an update... fortunately the place i got it from is cool and they are going to let me exchange it for a third chip. but if after 3 i still have the same results then ill just live with it.

OP I know you do not want to delid, but you have options. You can send it off and let silicon lottery do it. You can hook up with a local member potentially who would be willing to do it.. etc.

There are enough issues with the TIM consistency and the Silicon seal not being uniform that a golden chip with good thermals is very rare.

There is a huge thread on intels forums about this and it is still "under investigation" I expect little of use will come from it, but after complaining about delidding being almost the only way to get temps down and it costing me my warranty. I was told to contact them first if I had a warranty issue and that they would more than likely honor it if I purchased their 30 dollar protection plan. I doubt this chip will die in 3 years and I'm not even sure they would go ahead and help... but that response leafs me to believe they are at least acknowledging there is an issue

OP I know you do not want to delid, but you have options. You can send it off and let silicon lottery do it. You can hook up with a local member potentially who would be willing to do it.. etc.

There are enough issues with the TIM consistency and the Silicon seal not being uniform that a golden chip with good thermals is very rare.

There is a huge thread on intels forums about this and it is still "under investigation" I expect little of use will come from it, but after complaining about delidding being almost the only way to get temps down and it costing me my warranty. I was told to contact them first if I had a warranty issue and that they would more than likely honor it if I purchased their 30 dollar protection plan. I doubt this chip will die in 3 years and I'm not even sure they would go ahead and help... but that response leafs me to believe they are at least acknowledging there is an issue

yeah, like i said, i just dont feel comfortable delidding because with my luck it would somehow F up the chip. if i had a spare 300 bucks, sure, but i do not. so, im just going to exchange it for the third chip and hope for the best... if its not a great chip, oh well, ill just live with it.

Back