• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help, intel i7 970 and Asus Rampage 3 extreme 4,2 GHz +

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darnold93

hey, im medicore with oc and looking for somebody who can help me.

my specs are

cpu: intel i7 970
mobo: asus rampage 3 extreme
ram: Corsair Vengeance 2x 8 gb 1600mhz
PSU: Antec True power 650W
Cooler: Raijintek Tisis(better than noctua dh-15)

Please help me to get stable 4.2 GHZ im actually at 4.0GHZ with 1.35 Vcore and 21x191 bclk qpi/dram 1.3, idk how set good preset for memory, its black magic for me.

When overclocking with the BCLK the thing to keep in mind is that the memory frequency rises in concert with the CPU frequency and if the memory frequency gets much higher than its factory rated speed it will become unstable. So start the memory below what it is rated for. You also have to respect the limitations of the memory bus for that generation of CPU which came well before the advent of 1600 mhz RAM. I would start the RAM at 800 mhz. The chip is rated for memory up to 1066 mhz but may be able to handle RAM somewhat faster than that if the integrated memory controller voltage is supplemented a little.

Are you monitoring core temps? Regardless of the fact that you have a great cooler you should monitor core temps when you stress test. Use HWMonitor. Don't allow your core temps to exceed 90c.

And are you doing any stress testing? Prime95? OCCT? You need to make sure your overclocks are stable.

What we need are pictures. Please attach screen captures of these four tabs from CPU-z: CPU, Motherboard, Memory and SPD. Use Windows Snipping Tool to crop and capture the images and then attach them with the post by using the Go Advanced button in the lower right corner of any new post window. Please don't link the pics. Attach them.

Last edited:
hey, im medicore with oc and looking for somebody who can help me.

my specs are

cpu: intel i7 970
mobo: asus rampage 3 extreme
ram: Corsair Vengeance 2x 8 gb 1600mhz
PSU: Antec True power 650W
Cooler: Raijintek Tisis(better than noctua dh-15)

Please help me to get stable 4.2 GHZ im actually at 4.0GHZ with 1.35 Vcore and 21x191 bclk qpi/dram 1.3, idk how set good preset for memory, its black magic for me.

I used to have a 970, and it was a bit of a dog, and yours pretty much sounds like my old one.. Mine needed 1.35 for 4ghz, 1.4 for 4.1, then all the way up to 1.5 for 4.2, with full LLC using a Rampage III Formula. It did not like a high uncore speed at all. It did have a really good memory controller, I had some Adata's do 1250mhz with loose timings on it.

Hey! New problem here.. i changed bclk to 200 in turbov program from windows level, put it into prime95 for test and after 15mins get Blue screen and now i cant boot my pc. Stuck on post screen, cant go into bios. Clear cmos dont help... max temps during test was 76c

Back