• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacing a Laptop mobo??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
Hey guys!

So as it seems, my dad has a laptop with a "broken motherboard" heading my way.

Not sure what make or anything really, I just know I should have one headed my way soon.

One of his co-worker's daughter had a laptop, and now it won't work and here friends said the "motherboard died".
I'm skeptical about the mobo actually being dead, but if it is, how hard is it to replace a mobo in a laptop?

I'm wondering if it's worth repairing if it really is a dead mobo.
(I'm praying it's not an apple laptop, if so, straight to the garbage dump it goes)

Depending on the model, difficult enough that its better to just buy a new laptop.

Depending on the model, difficult enough that its better to just buy a new laptop.

Pretty much what I was thinking.....
Rats.

Well when I get it, I'll post here what make/model it is and if it's actually dead.

Pretty much what I was thinking.....
Rats.

Well when I get it, I'll post here what make/model it is and if it's actually dead.

Its mostly determined by whether you can get a service bulletin for it or not.
I had one for my XPS M1730 and it was relatively easy to work on because of that.

That said, smaller laptops, especially without a service bulletin, will be a pretty terrible job.
Also, if its already a few years old, the mainboard + time spent usually costs more than a new (faster) laptop will.

Its mostly determined by whether you can get a service bulletin for it or not.
I had one for my XPS M1730 and it was relatively easy to work on because of that.

That said, smaller laptops, especially without a service bulletin, will be a pretty terrible job.
Also, if its already a few years old, the mainboard + time spent usually costs more than a new (faster) laptop will.

Thanks! :D

Well, time will tell, when the laptop shows up I can give you some more details on it.

Just got the Laptop now.

Acer Aspire VA70 (V3-771-6410)

Works fine... except no video on the screen.
Works fine when I attach my monitor to it thought :thup:

Hmmmm. Thoughts guys?

I'm home all next week, so if you think it's worth opening it up, I'll give it a shot!

EDIT: Got it! It's the backlight :-/
Seems like it went dead.......

If its showing a picture without the backlight, its most likely not a cable.

If its showing a picture without the backlight, its most likely not a cable.

Which it does.

So looking into this issue, there is a chance that it's just the "inverter" for the backlight.

~ $16 USD on amazon :shrug:

That laptop is at least 2 years old already, make sure they wouldn't want to just get something new before tearing into this thing and spending a bunch of money.

Without a proper test shop its impossible to know 100% that the LCD will fix the issue.

That laptop is at least 2 years old already, make sure they wouldn't want to just get something new before tearing into this thing and spending a bunch of money.

Without a proper test shop its impossible to know 100% that the LCD will fix the issue.

They?
The previous owner?

AFAIK this is now mine to keep. Her dad bought her another new laptop. (Over $1000 I'm told :eek: )

I'll have to open her up and see if it's the light or just that inverter.

Okay, she's torn apart....

And I'm not sure how to test if the backlights themselves are gone, or if it's this inverter thingy.

The only part attached to the case is the screen, I haven't dis-assembled it yet.

I'll try to get some pics up for you, maybe you guys will have some insight on what the next step is?

EDIT: Pics, as promised.
IMG296.jpg

IMG298.jpg

As you can see, everything is in great shape. No burn marks, no signs of shorts..

So I'm thinking that I'd need a new screen.
Or since I have it still open, should I open up the screen and see if I find anything?

I can't buy any parts for it really, I have no money to put into this.
Then I have the issue of selling it.... No paypal, no heat and I've never shipped anything before :-/

Last edited:
Back