• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Total ASUS fail

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i'm glad i got my 5900x when i did (6 months ago, methinks) on an Asus board. a few months later and i would have spent money on 12th gen intel instead. then LGA possible issues. i also guess i was lucky with the person i got on the phone, at least telling me that my board had new BIOS between my purchase and receipt of the board (Which is probably why my Win11 ready board wouldn't install Win11), prompting a BIOS flash. that flash gave me the prompt for TPM 2.0 , asking if it was a new CPU (always answer YES on Asus BIOS, or it won't turn on TPM 2.0, which means no Win11. yeah, BIOS updates just got more complicated on Win11) speaking of which, i think they just released a new BIOS again. ugh.

but yeah, Asus's Armory Crate software (hardware monitoring and driver/ software update tool) doesn't work right. it doesn't inform you of new BIOS nor Chipset drivers (northbridge chipset, like x570), and the livedash OLED settings don't always work, either. But it's required for aRGB Aura Sync. and their high end stuff is getting obnoxiously expensive. You'd think they could afford better customer service, and programmers that make sure their software works as advertised, but maybe they're using all that extra money to pay lawyers to find loopholes in everything... I didn't even to think to look for current complaints about them, as 4th gen intel board was an Asus, but i forget that things change over 8 years. like BFG graphics cards, GPU lifetime warranties, DFI motherboards, Caselabs cases.... deep pain

PS: @stompah i feel the deep pain also. i live 3 miles from a fry's... sigh. their shelves were almost empty for 2 years before they finally admitted they were going out of business. The closest MicroCenter is 3 hours away. i can get a few things from a local Best Buy (they sometimes have good sales on Samsung SSDs /NVMes, or corsair AIOs), but mostly i buy online now. which means potential shipping damage.

@Woomack good luck with round 2!

I guess that Intel wanted to reduce RMA costs and transfered all expected issues onto motherboard manufacturers.

How do you RMA bent pins? You don't. Plus they feel far more robust than the LGA pins. So, I doubt Intel saw a drop if any when they switched interfaces.

I don't think MB Manufacturers are shouldering more RMAs due to the change either. Look at your specific issue. Those pins are fine. You and I know that. Hell Asus probably knows it too. But I am sure their lower levels are told to find ways out of fulfilling an RMA. And your shadowed pins are their out. Until they realize there is nothing wrong with them.

If they push back again I would ask other than by eye what test do they have to test the pins. I am sure if litigated the judge would like to see more than a shadow that proves their point. I doubt they have any socket benching device. If they did they'd have shown you it's results.

Last edited:
I do wonder why AMD is going LGA...

I am guessing so people using sticky TIMs dont rip the CPU out of the socket anymore. Thankfully that has not happened with me on AM4. It did numerous times on 939 though lol.

Luckily I havent had to use Asus RMA. I dont have a problem with their boards and am 95% content with the quality. Still my go to brand, for now..

It was a conclusion from socket 478 vs LGA775 when CPU pins were thinner (also there were quite a lot of damaged CPUs on the PC production stage that were instantly replaced). When I was working in distribution then we had cases of bent pins in new, boxed CPUs. First LGA sockets had significantly fewer pins and were much easier to "fix" at home. Now there are problems with LGA even on the production stage. In the last gens, we could hear that Foxconn or Lotes sockets had design flaws. Mainly Foxconn was burning under high load. We haven't heard about similar cases with AMD CPUs/sockets.

One more thing is that some years ago when you paid for such an expensive motherboard like ROG Maximus/Crosshair, then ASUS support was replacing sockets or other quite cheap things without even asking how it happened. These motherboards cost now much more than they used to. So I wasn't really sure what to say when the support confirmed that the socket replacement would cost around $30 (!?) ... and the motherboard costs over $500. I wouldn't be surprised if it was $200 or something but 30? I guess it's not a matter of money but the corporate procedures and they simply don't care because of the scale of the problem. Again, $30 is more than the double shipping to the support and back (it goes via store and they covered the shipping).

Last edited:
The new motherboard works fine. I was thinking of selling it, but I'm not sure as there are some more of them on local auctions and prices are already quite low. The RMA took over a month and I wasn't sure how it will end, so I bought something else and now I have one mobo that I probably won't use.

i'd sell and consider it done.
otherwise, if it were me, it'd sit around and every time i come across it it'll remind me of the crappy time i had to get it fixed

I would do that but it's hard to blame the whole company for an incompetent support employee. If I stopped buying products of each brand that caused me problems then I wouldn't use electronics at all. The store support and the (official) ROG forums guy were helpful to solve this problem. The replacement motherboard is new with a full warranty, so I hope there won't be the same problem again. I installed it in my latest ITX box and I'm not planning to replace anything there, so we will see how long it will live.

I already tested almost all high-end Z690 motherboards. Even though I have bad feelings about ASUS right now, then it's still probably the best Z690 motherboard that I had. Before I got the replacement I bought Gigabyte Tachyon but it's not better in anything and cost me more. Since I could return it (and it was barely used anyway) then I did that. The difference that I could get between a Strix Z690 on auctions and the Tachyon is about $150. When both motherboards are about the same for what I do then it's good to have that ~$150.

Btw. the replaced motherboard is overclocking RAM a bit better. The previous one could do 6800 on two slots. The new one can make 7000.

Last edited:
oh i musta missed the part when you returned the one you bought while dealing with them, and yea gigabyte isnt much good any more especially for the price but i havent had much hassle with them for warranty claims.
my main beef with Asus is warranty issues and the crap they put people through but their overall quality has been lacking over the years it seems. I havent bothered with them since the pentium 2 days but i've had to help others that have had their things and oh boy. and sure every company has problem products and some hits but there just seems to be more problems than hits with asus.

i sure do miss DFI...

I'm not missing DFI. Every single DFI motherboard had quality issues and I remember how many of the 754/939 mobos were coming back to RMA. When it was working then was great but the amount of RMA was too high. I was working in distribution back then, so I saw how many of them were coming back. A similar story was with some other liked brands like Epox or Soltek.

I guess that all manufacturers have problems with Z690 mobos, and actually Gigabyte looks pretty good looking at the price/performance and available features.
Many Z690 mobos from all brands have design flaws. Like ASUS Apex/Hero had production issues, Gigabyte Z690 ITX mobos (DDR4 and DDR5) were confirmed to be faulty too and will be replaced to a new version. I know that a lot of LGA1700 mobos back to RMA for socket issues, regardless of brand.
I think that the problem right now is global and isn't related to one brand. Each year hardware is being tested for a shorter period and later users are reporting various issues that eventually manufacturers fix. Every new generation in the last years was the same. A new series, no proper tests or even BIOS for the premiere, 3-6 months of users' tests and multiple BIOS patches. After 2-3 months, BIOS teams were already moving to the next gen motherboards. The same story for AMD and Intel in the last ~5 years.

The same story for AMD and Intel in the last ~5 years.
Feels like it has been this way forever. Even a decade ago felt like this. Some launches and brands were worse than others, but generally feels like not much has changed.

The hardware snafus with the Hero and the Giga ITX felt unusual, but otherwise, normal growing pains.

That said, I wish it wasn't like this. I feel board partners have less time with a production chip than they used to so maybe that's why, initially, bios come fast and furious (among other reasons).

Intel used to have 18 month test period before release of any new generation (I think it was 10 years ago+). Now in 18 months you get two generations with a typical 2-3 month delay for components shipment.
I know that mobo manufacturers get microcode/bios/firmware way too late to have time to test anything right before the new generation premiere, so they only work on a general stability.

On many levels. 5 th os install today. TUF gaming, the freaking crate software crashes it. AMD 570 TUF gaming. I mean after install.

The SB fan is in a PIASS poor spot as well.

Smooth sailing with my Strix B550-F and B550-XE. Sweet stability and excellent boosting action..

And my Asus GTX 580 Matrix Platinum still works :D

Was the OCF review board, maybe that's why :cool:

Back