• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Scariest game with nice graphics?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I thought it was a heavily modified version of the lithec engine (y'know, the one that powered Blood2: The chosen?) :S

weird I thought D3 was scarier then fear, mostly from all the creepy crawlies that jump out at you and the always too dark lighting.

invisible hand said:
Sega's "Condemned"....fell out of my seat it was so scary....great suspense, music and atmosphere. Game play is great......a total sleeper of a game.

Yea, I have heard that this game can be pretty intense, although I have yet to play it myself... FEAR will creep you out, definitely :D

I think of the newer games that Doom 3 is the most frightening, I wasn't too impressed with FEAR myself.
But you should check out some of the older ones esp. Undying (scariest game I have ever played)
If you end up getting RE4 its good and is very different than other RE games so don't worry about being lost.

Doom 3 is still my favorite scary game. It's the only game, still, that has had me and 2 of my friends literally reeling back away from the monitor because we turned around into a zombie's face. The graphics are superb, and the game is quite well done.

Doom3 was pretty, and parts of it were fun -

However, I would say it was only scary in the way that Quake was scary, with monsters popping out at you from hidden doorways and whatnot. It mainly relies on keeping things dark and startling you constantly, making gameplay really, really repetitive. If carnival-style shooting range-games scare you then it's alright, but I thought FEAR created an environment where everything, even the ambient noises, could be chill-inducing. Plus watching my friend try to hide from the monitor while playing it on, er, altered states, was hilarious.

Even though it's not technically an FPS I'm going to have to add Thief 3 (Deadly Shadows), if only for the Cradle level and the zombies... oh god the puppets :cry:

Last edited:
Doom 3 was an overrated scare movie.... Everyone exclaimed how they jumped out of their chair, etc. Well... honesty.. I thought it was kind of repetitive. I beat it, but I don't think any part made my heart jump honestly. F.E.A.R, my heart almost lunged when I went into the vents, hear the laughing turn 1 way, noone there, then turn the other way, and that little girl in the red dress is crawling my way like the kid from the Grudge.

F.E.A.R has my absolute vote. The BEST.

I really haven't run into any scary games well at least in my experience.I'm just not easily startled. However Silent Hill series was kind of nifty in regards to how freaky it was I haven't played any of the newer ones so I can't tell you about graphics but maybe somebody else here can comment on this series.

F.E.A.R seems to be a common among "Scariest" games so if you haven't checked that out you should. Besides not even taking into account the scare factor the gameplay is pretty damn good and the story is intriging.

And I hope everyone understood what I meant when I said Doom 3 movie :p

Anyway, Condemned was one other game though that I thought was..... just... twisted..

Another vote for FEAR. at first it didnt seem to scary, cause its just that little girl ghost thing, and then she starts popping up at the most random times when you least expect it, and its like "OMG!OMG!OMG!omg! oh my.... why am i screaming?"

F.E.A.R is one of the first video games to freak me out. That damn little girl ghost is just everywhere giggling. It totally made me jump when i first got my 5.1 setup and she started giggling.

Far Cry. Definately a good game had a nice scare factor also. like those big monkey things or whatever.

FEAR was amazing, although gets repetitive near the end. Epilogue Graphics disappointed me.

Doom 3 lacked common sense. Poorly lit research facility? No Duct tape? Demons from Hell that can be evaded by ducking in the open? I just lawled at it.

HL2 Ravenholm was pretty scary, not the BOO! Scary, but creepy as sh**. The mad Russian was a bit creepy.

Back