• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Scariest game with nice graphics?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just started playing Condemned because of this thread. Very, very good (by good I mean AAAAAA) so far, and the engine seems to be optimized far better than in FEAR.

Anyone played Silent Hill 2, 3, or the room?

I'm gonna try out Silent Hill 2 or 3 on my PC, supposingly they are very good.

I can't play Doom 3 or FEAR for more than maybe 15 minutes. It freaks me out, dude. I'm serious. Those games literally scare the crap out of me.

FEAR takes the damn cake. That game screws with my head in the worst way. My girlfriend thought I was a wussy. I told her that if she thinks she's all tough, then she should give it a try and then talk. She tried it, and after that, she never picked on me again.

this is going back a bit ... and i'm not suggesting the OP get this game cause it's a bit dated ... but man, playing Nocturne ... at certain points in the game ... were quite frightful. I never finished it cause I literally hated the way the controls worked ... and I *hated* walking into one darkly lit, wooded area after another and having all these near invincible werewolves jump out ...

nocturne_002.jpg

Last edited:
F.E.A.R. is awesome. Great graphics and pretty good storyline (for the most part).

If you don't care really about graphics, I know you want one with nice graphics, but System Shock 2 is considered one of the best FPS/Horror games of all time.

If you haven't played it. Do it now. :)

Thief: Deadly Shadows. I'm not sure if it really fits into the gun-toting FPS genre, but it's always one of the top scariest games. I still never beat the game... it just scared the crap out of me when I saw my first zombie.

HL:EP1 was VERY creepy in that dark room (you guys know what I'm talking about).

Strangely, FEAR didn't bother me. I guess I figured that Alma was misunderstood, and was really trying to help. Yeah, I have issues. :shrug:

Ok...D3 was not the best game in the world but it still a good game as it was one of the few games that was really scary...oooo....[shivers]...FEAR is scary but I kind of felt sry for the little girl and wanted to help her...I know...I have problems...for graphics...fear is just so awesome to look at and d3 is very atmospheric...personally I would play both of them...play d3 1st though...because fear is a treat;-)

Isnt it in the F E A R expansion where its made clear that alma (young one) is trying to help you?.. I remember reading that on Wiki. I havent played the expansion just yet but plan to eventually.

Ok, I'm going to toss out one of my favorites. The graphics are far from today's standard but the game play and story crush anything out now besides HL2.

go to the bargain bin of the game store and grab a copy of Clive Barker's Undying. One helluva scary game. It's got an old ancient celtic occult type horror story line that's really well put together. It's no eye candy by today's standards as it's built from the original unreal tournament 3d Engine but the game play will easily make you forget about the graphics.

As a system shock 2 player, I'm sure you're aware of how easily you can get engrossed in the story rather than how poor the graphics look.

As far as today's standards go, I think FEAR is about as good as you can get for a scary game. It's got a Sci Fi military psychological horror element to it that can really get under your skin. Doom 3 has it's moments and for the most part does really well with the mood lighthing (or lack there of) but the whole "make a monster jump out at you from the dark corner" bit gets old and predictable and about 3/4 through the game, you're pretty much expecting the scripted monster entries and are usually prepared for them so a lot of the feeling is lost.

Fear is totally different as you really don't know what to expect next. They throw little bits and pieces of the puzzle to you keeping you guessing and the whole time putting just enough of the supernatural into the environment to keep you on your toes to balance out the run and gun military confrontations with the soldiers.

Then obviously at the end of FEAR as you get nearer to the source of this creepiness, the amount of supernatural activity increases and things get more and more engrossing.

raccoonone said:
I was thinking maybe Resident Evil 4, since that's coming out around Christmas. But I've never played the RE series.

Niether had I until I got RE4 for the GCN. I would say that you will be rather freaked at many parts of the game, and laughing at others, but overall it is a really good game. RE4 probably isnt THE SCARIEST but I would say that is an amazing game anyway. And Yes I even plan to buy it again for the PC. Thats how much I liked it.

My Little Pony 3d - scary as **** :D

Seriously tho, I enjoyed FEAR and iv heard good things about Condemned as well... Farcry had its moments, as did HL2 EP1 (pitch black room full of zombies whilst waiting for the lift anyone?) ;)

I would vote for Condemed as well actually, I just played the demo of it and its freaky as hell :D

Sir. BOBSONATOR said:
Doom 3 made my **** my pants, turn up the volume, turn off the lights.

OMG SCARY!

Just to ask... How did that scare you o_O Or are you the kind of person that thinks after monsters pop out in the most predictable places, it won't happen again :p

Id say FEAR was a good one as well. I got scared in Half Life 2 at certain times, when those 4 legged ceatures that jump and crawl on walls come at you, and its even better when you play it loud with a 5.1 system (z-5500D:attn:) play it loud and you hear the screams of the creatures behind you and your turn around and see this big *** creature jumping at you biting your face off. good times good times, then you blow things up and stuff, actually just play any creappy dark game with loud noises with a 5.1 system and play it loud i get freaked :bday: :santa:

Definintely FEAR, im actually gonna replay it now on my newer rig. Doom3 was also good along with the expansion. FEAR can be had at $30 and Doom3 at $20, but if you havent played HL2 then its a must get. :D

FastRedPonyCar said:
Ok, I'm going to toss out one of my favorites. The graphics are far from today's standard but the game play and story crush anything out now besides HL2.

go to the bargain bin of the game store and grab a copy of Clive Barker's Undying. One helluva scary game. It's got an old ancient celtic occult type horror story line that's really well put together. It's no eye candy by today's standards as it's built from the original unreal tournament 3d Engine but the game play will easily make you forget about the graphics.

Clive Barkers Undying was wicked scary. Definately up there on the scare scale for me. I quit playing it after about 30 minutes and never touched it again. I dunno why I'm such a wuss, but those games just get to me.

sobe said:
Just to ask... How did that scare you o_O Or are you the kind of person that thinks after monsters pop out in the most predictable places, it won't happen again :p

Well, you are in a dark room, volume up, a mate over, and the game is mostly dark, you have a flashlight, and have to hit a button to switch to your gun, then all ov a sudden out of nowhere a zombie (or whatever it was) pops right infront of you and you hesitate to press the gun and then......

Back