• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4870s dropping like flies (due to user error/BIOS mods)? [Update: BIOS Fix available]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have kept up with the thread at Xtreme since I have one of these coming. If I remeber correctly, all the dead cards have been flashed except for 4 of them. That was a company that has some in their machines and they put 4 of them in Xfire (2 x 2 in 2 different machines). They died after that but the single machines are still working. As to it being the Qimonda chips, it was not the chips themselves that died in the 8800GT's. My GTS has the same chips but the power circuitry has been beefed up vs the GT, hence no problem with the GTS's. I would wait awhile before blaming the ram chips.

[edit]
BUt I do admit I may not be fast to list my GTS on the classifieds, just in case ;)

Your right about the qimonda chips in the 8800gts but the qimonda chips in the 8800gts were also not gddr5. As for the memory controller dieing like it did in the 8800gts from overvoltage I don't think that is the problem here with the 4870's has people are killing the cards without touching the voltage and besides the 4850's memory overclocks pretty well.

The ironic thing is that most of the time the cards are fine, it's just that the BIOS is telling to card absurd things (to do). Like one thread on XS mentions a guy who had a good flash, the card failed the next day. He used it in slave mode (booted up under different card) then viewed GPU-Z on the card. It was clocked upwards of 20000MHZ!!! Basically, without the proper knowledge of EXACTLY what bit in the bios does/affects, things can go crazy. It is also worth noting that most failures are SOFTWARE failures, which can sometimes be recovered.

GPU-z reports that because the registers on the card aren't initialized and everything gets reported back to GPU-z as 0xFFFFFFFF which ends up as those funky numbers. IF those registers aren't even initialized yet there's no way its gonna even make it to read the registers and set the clock.

The main reason for these card failures is because people flash and mod these cards without testing it properly determining it's limits, I don't think it is a RAM flaw or design issue at all. Once Rivatuner brings us an update we can test the cards the proper way before flashing the bios with OC profiles

I don't think people are going past the limit but as far as experimental bios flashing seems to be the problem as there a a bunch of similar posts to this: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3100116&postcount=2

So is the modified BIOS actually 'killing' something, or are the cards just bricked...possibly able to return?

**Too lazy to read through all the threads.

:beer::beer:

So is the modified BIOS actually 'killing' something, or are the cards just bricked...possibly able to return?

Good question. I'm waiting on that answer too. I think some people already tried to reflash the BIOS to the original form but maybe the program they used to dump it in the first place didn't configure it's size correctly. I hope these guys can recover their cards. I really, really do.

If the BIOS bricks the card, you can't return it. But in some cases you may be able to fix it yourself by reflashing with a PCI card to hold the fort. Guys don't go about flashing the BIOS till you are absolutely sure that it works.

PS# David, I'll get you man...:D

If the BIOS bricks the card, you can't return it. But in some cases you may be able to fix it yourself by reflashing with a PCI card to hold the fort. Guys don't go about flashing the BIOS till you are absolutely sure that it works.

I don't think he means returning it to a store, I think he means returning it to the previous state. Like when you brick a cable modem by flashing different firmware on it, starting over from scratch can bring it back to life.

I don't think he means returning it to a store, I think he means returning it to the previous state. Like when you brick a cable modem by flashing different firmware on it, starting over from scratch can bring it back to life.

Yeah, I mean returning it to a working state...not returning it to the store.

I look forward to your payback!

:beer:

Wizzard's article on a possible recovery scheme-->http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/152

Wizzard said:
In the past all (consumer) graphics card BIOSes were smaller than 64 KBytes. With the introduction of GDDR5 additional space was required for the memory training code. Since ATI could not fit that piece of code into the 64 KB available, they increased the BIOS size to 128 KB (1 MBit).

For an unknown reason ATI's flashing software Winflash/Atiflash does not correctly detect those extra 64 KB and forgets to save them when you dump your BIOS to a file. The same happens to GPU-Z (new version that fixes that will be soon). So everybody who extracted their HD 4870 BIOS ended up with no GDDR5 microcode.

From what it looks like, Wizzard's fix is bringing the cards back to life. That makes a guy waiting on his 4870 rest a bit easier. I figured it had to be the bios since it seemed to be a limited outbreak of dead cards, and all seemed to be at one place.

Also, it just might be easier to flash to Diamond's BIOS when it comes out...http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8200&Itemid=1

Fudzilla said:
Diamond is prepping its ATI Radeon HD 4870 XOC Black Edition graphics card that will be available exclusively with Smoothcreation's systems. The new card is designed with a custom firmware that enables this card to reach a rather impressive core and memory clocks.

The default clocks for the new HD 4870 XOC Black edition card are 800MHz for the GPU and 1,100MHz (4.4GHz effectively) for 512MB of GDDR5 memory. Diamond's custom firmware unlocks the GPU and memory clocks so that they could be raised to 950MHz for the GPU and stunning 1,200MHz (4.8GHz effectively) for the memory.

I seriously doubt that Diamond will make any changes to the reference design PCB. If these cards can do 950MHz on the core...we have a destroyer of the worlds on our hands! :D Heck, Wizzard may have done it already!

Also, it just might be easier to flash to Diamond's BIOS when it comes out...http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8200&Itemid=1

I seriously doubt that Diamond will make any changes to the reference design PCB. If these cards can do 950MHz on the core...we have a destroyer of the worlds on our hands! :D Heck, Wizzard may have done it already!

I'm glad I put off buying a 4870 at least until the OC versions start shipping...I don't think I'll be able to hold off until th 4870X2 ships...

Dam, the card hasn't left the starting gate yet, and already they're dying? Wtf?? :confused:

It is mostly due to user error. There is no mass death of cards from what I can tell. A few people jumped the gun, edited their BIOS and had a brick on on their hands. But, W1zzard really helped out these guys who revived their BIOS AND THEIR CARDS ARE FULLY FUNCTIONAL!

There are no PCB or Hardware problems as far as I can tell.

Yeah just saw taht... Whew tahts quiet an OC there.

26.6% on the Core
33% on the Ram

Yup tahts defintly some OC there.
They probably just upped the voltage since it was mentioned by Jason in another thread that teh 4850's could be bios's modded to up the voltage similar to the 8800GT's. So I'd guess the same would apply here as well.

i just gotta say w1zzard is a huge asset to the community, idk what we would do without this guy. he writes all kinds of things like GPU-z and ATItool and then sees something like this and just sits down and fixes it.

Well guess no one would knew there was a new bios size. Its been 64kb for a while who would of guessed that they jacked it up to 128kb for the GDDR5.

Where is the bios chip on the card anyways? If its not in the GPU itself it would be a good indication of or if GDDR5 is even possible on the 4850's.

It seems fitting my Sapphire 4870 needs to be RMA'd after starting this thread. ROFLMAO. shoot.gif

Back