• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4870s dropping like flies (due to user error/BIOS mods)? [Update: BIOS Fix available]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I haven't had any issues yet with my HIS 4870, I haven't modded the BIOS either. Running stock speeds, with 60% fan on CCC. I've cold booted at least 10-15 times for changing overclocks and moving the PC.

Time of ownership so far is just over a week.

Only if it was due to a bad BIOS flash. :burn:

Never touched the firmware. Noticed the problem when I started running Furmark. Refused to complete, would die around 18-24% and the video card would lose video completely. This was at stock mem, wc'd. Trying rhtlibr, it would run, approximately every 30s I would get "driver stopped responding", after about 2 minutes, it would again lose video and had to reboot to get it back.

The final problem was changing to cat 8.6 w/hotfix which resulted in a scrolling white screen as video ouput. <sarcastic :thup:>

Never touched the firmware. Noticed the problem when I started running Furmark. Refused to complete, would die around 18-24% and the video card would lose video completely. This was at stock mem, wc'd. Trying rhtlibr, it would run, approximately every 30s I would get "driver stopped responding", after about 2 minutes, it would again lose video and had to reboot to get it back.

The final problem was changing to cat 8.6 w/hotfix which resulted in a scrolling white screen as video ouput. <sarcastic :thup:>

I was getting the same driver stopped responding error http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=568788 but it worked after resetting the bios to it's stock settings.

...but it worked after resetting the bios to it's stock settings.

@ Hardin, appreciate the input, but in my case resetting my board to stock did not turn up any positive results. Keep in mind, my problem happened consistently when I used Furmark or rthbiltdr.

Action -> Result

1. Ran Furmark[RF] -> Could not pass 14-23% w/o losing video.
2. Reset BIOS to stock[RF]-> Could not pass 14-23% w/o losing video.
3. Removed drives to eliminate psu prob[RF] -> Could not pass 14-23% w/o losing video.
4. Removed 8.7a beta cats[RF] -> Could not pass 14-23% w/o losing video.
5. Re-installed 8.6 w/4800 series hotfix[RF]-> Could not pass 14-23% w/o losing video. Video output displayed all scrolling white.
6. Removed WC block and packed up ready to be sent out for RMA.
7. Purchased new HIS 4870 from the egg. :thup:

I received my Sapphire 4870 last week and I had to RMA it due to overheating within minutes of running the card at stock. Mine simply overheated just after I intalled it. The fan kicked in at 100% I assume due to the noise it was making however the card then shut off. I examined the card and the entire PCB was very hot to touch. Obviously that card was defective. I am waiting for another one to get here. I was planning on putting it on water as soon as I get some benchmarks on air. I will let you know how the next one works out.

Back