• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Do I remove these?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madman7

I hope this is the right place to post this question. I just received a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo that I'm going to install along with a new CPU. I putting this in an Asus M4A79T Deluxe. I haven't removed the board from the case yet but was looking around to determine if the Evo will fit when I noticed that around the CPU socket is a black piece that is screwed to the board. I decided to look up pictures of the board and found that there is indeed a black piece surrounding the CPU socket but also there appears to be a metal piece on the backside of the board. Will these need to be removed to install the EVO HSF on this board? If so, are these the same holes that are used for mounting the Evo?
Thanks

yes i think they do need to be removed, and the back-plate that came with the evo will replace the stock one and you should have an adjustable x shape device (didnt know what to call it) that holds the heatsink to the board. have you not read the instructions?

Have you looked at the instructions that come with the Cooler Master 212 Evo? A few words and some pictures that aren't very good or clear. Look at the instructions and tell me what you think.

they could be better yes, but fairly clear to me, do you need any other advice now you know that you DO need to remove original socket surround and back-plate?

Thanks for the info. I just hope this Evo fits and I can use all my memory slots. My memory isn't very tall so I hope the fan clears.

you shouldn't have a problem with clearance if your ram sticks don't have big heatsinks sticking off the top, it was for that reason i chose the normal height low profile corsair vengeance sticks, just out of interest what ram do you have?

I have the Adata XPG Gaming 1600 memory. Never had an issue. I had to bump the voltage to 1.66 to get it to run at 1600. I found this out at Newegg from other people who had ran this ram. This computer is the first I've built in almost 6 years. I built this a little over a year ago. I replaced an old AMD 3000+ and Asus A7V8X mobo. Boy did things change in that amount of time from the 3000+ until I built my current rig. I getting ready to put in a 980 BE and see if I can get 4.0 or 4.1 gig out of it.

Thanks for the help. I couldn't find anywhere info saying if the Evo would fit my Asus M4A79T Deluxe. I searched for hours but came up empty.

Your welcome, if I remember right it is a socket am3 board, and at least the last 3 amd sockets (am2, am3 and am3+) all use the same mounting holes. Makes it easy for cooler manufacturers to keep compatability.

Back