• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got my e6400 and ASUS Commando why does CPUz say its running at 1.6Ghz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
greenmaji said:
Audio.. its a better board for running over 400FSB.. 965P motherboards force you to run on the 1333 strap over 400FSB (the reason 975X performs better) the QuadGT gets around this by allowing you to lock down the strap to 1066 in the bios and still allows you to run higher FSB on the 1066 strap then a 975X motherboard.
So if I stay @ ≤400, the 1066 strap is in effect but it kicks in the 1333 strap @ 401 and higher?

Audioaficionado said:
So if I stay @ ≤400, the 1066 strap is in effect but it kicks in the 1333 strap @ 401 and higher?
for the commando yes, if you were using the quad gt the 1066 would still be in effect till you changed it in the bios.

Well if I can get my E6600 running 400/3600 24/7 under full SMP_FAH load with that 1066 strap, I'd be doing pretty well IMHO. No 5GHz or even 4GHz, but very acceptable for a 24/7 desktop workstation.

I'll do my Commando system build and start playing with it next week after I get some other people's systems up and running per some prior commitments.

The Newegg boxes keep saying "Please open us and get 'r done." :p

greenmaji said:
Wizzard005.. What air cooler do you have?

Audio.. the reason the commando is a better benching board is it overclocks ram better.
the strap issue could be corrected with a new bios (if there was enough demand for it) but then the FSB limit of the board on the 1066 strap would be the limit to the better performing strap setting and the QuadGT seems to have alot of potential in this regard (from benchmarks the commando isn't a slouch though)

I forgot the name of it its the XP-120 with a 120mm fan on the top.

Right now I have it running at 2.64Ghz at 38c

Only thing i have messed with is, turned off step step, and put the mulit to 323x

What is the max ideal temps I should stay close too 38 - 40c?

I havent ran prime95 yet, but have ripped 2 dvd's and play wow for a bit with no errors.

Switching from AMD to intel , boy what a difference , its so much better

Thermalright SI-128

It may not be the top dawg anymore (compared to the 120 Ultra Extreme) but it blows down on the mobo mosfets around the processor socket. It also weighs 2/3 as much.

http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_product_si128.htm

9_775.jpg

Wizzard005 said:
I forgot the name of it its the XP-120 with a 120mm fan on the top.

Right now I have it running at 2.64Ghz at 38c

Only thing i have messed with is, turned off step step, and put the mulit to 323x

What is the max ideal temps I should stay close too 38 - 40c?

I havent ran prime95 yet, but have ripped 2 dvd's and play wow for a bit with no errors.

Switching from AMD to intel , boy what a difference , its so much better

For max temps, I'd recommend keeping it under 60c (though I've played around in the 65c area for a while before) Anything less than that should be just peachy. With the stock cooler you can probably expect to get to maybe 3ghz.

This seems like intel EIST (enhanced intel speed step technology) IS the culprate here Do away with it in the BIOS

Wizard.. check your load temps.. if your under the mid 60'sC you should be good for more ;)

Audio.. the 9 multi helps alot in regard to the strap issue :thup:.. clockgen works on the commando if for some reason it you can get stable just over the strap hump and plan on folding 24/7 ;) (you just have to boot at a FSB below the strap jump and bump it up in clockgen)

greenmaji said:
Wizard.. check your load temps.. if your under the mid 60'sC you should be good for more ;)

Audio.. the 9 multi helps alot in regard to the strap issue :thup:.. clockgen works on the commando if for some reason it you can get stable just over the strap hump and plan on folding 24/7 ;) (you just have to boot at a FSB below the strap jump and bump it up in clockgen)

mine looks like the Thermalright SI-128 but its all copper.

I ran Prime95 for 30mins, max temp was 58 - 60c , The 120mm fan i have is only like 1200rpm, so i am sure if i upgrade the fan the temps will be lower. I dont like having the fans be loud in the background, so this works well for me. Idel temps are 32 - 35c

Current Buss Speed 330x

If its copper get a 38mm thick fan.. (and make sure its 120mm rather then 90mm, I dont recall TR making an all copper XP-120(C) )

greenmaji said:

Is there a monitoring utility that can tell you the chipset strap settings real time?

Audioaficionado said:
Is there a monitoring utility that can tell you the chipset strap settings real time?

Interested in this as well. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but what is the strap profile for the P5B-dlx? It sounds like quadgt could give it a run for its money with an e6420 and quality RAM. So thats the question, what are the straps on the high end of FSB clocks for both boards, and which one would you recommend for an e6420 and good quality ram? If someone wanted 500mhz+ FSB, which would you go for?

I just installed the Commando last night. Its a very nice board. No problems what so ever.

BTW, do I have to install any special software in Win XP for the Core 2 Duo other than the Intel chipset drivers?

I was set on the p5b deluxe, but now I'm I gotta look at the Commando and Quad GT. E6420 and 800MHZ D9 mem... which one! Oh yea, I'll be doing RAID too.

i would go with the quad gt for 24/7 usage but if you just out for benching get the commando. as far as mem you can get about same clocks as D9's with promos or elp ic's.

Audioaficionado said:

not that I know of.. but sisoft sandra would be the most likely canidate IMHO

and the strap profile for the P5B-Deluxe is the same as other 965P motherboards, it does jump to the 1333 strap when you boot at over 400FSB.

greenmaji said:
not that I know of.. but sisoft sandra would be the most likely canidate IMHO

and the strap profile for the P5B-Deluxe is the same as other 965P motherboards, it does jump to the 1333 strap when you boot at over 400FSB.

Is it 400 and up or is it 401 and up? (Like to stay at 1066, do I want 399FSB or will 400FSB also work? (for the P5B Deluxe)

Back