• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got my e6400 and ASUS Commando why does CPUz say its running at 1.6Ghz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I hate to highjack this thread but I'm confused on this strap issue.
I've got a p5b coming on Monday. Could one of you guys explain just what a strap is.:confused:

jivetrky said:
Is it 400 and up or is it 401 and up? (Like to stay at 1066, do I want 399FSB or will 400FSB also work? (for the P5B Deluxe)
try 399-401 and see if there is a difference (SuperPI 1M).. its up to the bios.

youngbuck said:
I already got the D9s: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231065

Can you please show me some examples of these promos or elps you're talking about?

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5033349&postcount=1203
thos c4's i have are promos based and i got those about mid/late june last year thinking they were d9's.

those HZ you got when did you buy them? i aske cause past 5/2006 they are no longer d9 based ic's. if you want to make sure you get d9 ic's i would be buying these Teamgroup ram.
http://www.tankguys.biz/product_info.php?cPath=46_144_147&products_id=1643
http://www.tankguys.biz/product_info.php?cPath=46_144_149&products_id=1692

these gskills here use epl ic's.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231114
those are higher binned verisions of these
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231087

both can oc about the same just depends on how lucky you get with the 129 set. the 2GBHK oc just under d9's, as well the promos/epl's at any speed mactching d9's they put out much less heat.

Last edited:
Peepaw said:
Thanks for the links Audio, my old brain has trouble keeping up with the newer technology. I guess I'll do some benching when my new stuff gets here next week.
I'll try it on both straps and see what the difference is.:)
TTBoMK this is all I know right now and I'm still a n00b on these fsb/straps. It has something to do with dividers so different clock speeds of different chips and even different areas of the processor can still pass the data through the different paths/bus as they communicate.

There are latencies where nothing gets passed for so many clock cycles and this is inefficient but necessary for everything to communicate and sync back and forth. So if you increase speed or clock frequency, things get done faster up to a point. When the strap changes from 1066 to 1333, the latencies increase and this negates any speed gains and actually reduces the efficiency to where less work gets done.

I believe this happens whenever you transition from the top of one strap over to the bottom of the next strap. To get back the speed advantage you would have to move or scale up to the top of the next strap to realize the speed gains again. However the top of the 1333 strap is beyond reach today and most don't even get to the 500 mark. I don't know where the top of the 1333 strap is but I'm sure there are several guys here who can explain it much better and more accurately than I just did.

I'm counting on the experts here to correct any misconceptions and errors in this post.

Evilsizer said:
those HZ you got when did you buy them? i aske cause past 5/2006 they are no longer d9 based ic's.

Are you serious?! I bought them in like early February, completely under the impression that they were D9s. So I assume I am SOL?

youngbuck said:
Are you serious?! I bought them in like early February, completely under the impression that they were D9s. So I assume I am SOL?
PC2-6400 HZ

F2-6400PHU2-1GBHZ
F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ

4.0-4-4-12 @ 2.0 ~ 2.1V

Micron D9GMH (B6-3) 6-layer PCB
Micron D9GCT (B6-37E) (some) 6-layer PCB
Elpida AG-6E-E (before 05/2006) 6-layer PCB

Those are the ic's that were found to be used on the HZ line
if you would like to go thru the list you can here:
http://ramlist.ath.cx/ddr2/

i would pop them in the board and see how they do.

Evilsizer said:
for the commando yes, if you were using the quad gt the 1066 would still be in effect till you changed it in the bios.

That is only BOOTING above 400mhz. You can Clockgen and stay away from the strap switch by booting at 399 and Clockgen'ing above. Thats what I am doing right now.

eightballrj said:
That is only BOOTING above 400mhz. You can Clockgen and stay away from the strap switch by booting at 399 and Clockgen'ing above. Thats what I am doing right now.
thats true but do you want to do that every time you starup your system?

Evilsizer said:
thats true but do you want to do that every time you starup your system?

I wouldn't want to 24/7 over 3.6 anyways. But, no I wouldn't... however clockgen will do it for you at startup apparently(never tried it though).

Audioaficionado said:
TTBoMK this is all I know right now and I'm still a n00b on these fsb/straps. It has something to do with dividers so different clock speeds of different chips and even different areas of the processor can still pass the data through the different paths/bus as they communicate.

There are latencies where nothing gets passed for so many clock cycles and this is inefficient but necessary for everything to communicate and sync back and forth. So if you increase speed or clock frequency, things get done faster up to a point. When the strap changes from 1066 to 1333, the latencies increase and this negates any speed gains and actually reduces the efficiency to where less work gets done.

I believe this happens whenever you transition from the top of one strap over to the bottom of the next strap. To get back the speed advantage you would have to move or scale up to the top of the next strap to realize the speed gains again. However the top of the 1333 strap is beyond reach today and most don't even get to the 500 mark. I don't know where the top of the 1333 strap is but I'm sure there are several guys here who can explain it much better and more accurately than I just did.

I'm counting on the experts here to correct any misconceptions and errors in this post.

Lets see if I understand. Keep in mind that I've never had a cpu with an unlocked multi. I'll be working with a p5b, a e6420 and 2x1g ballistixddr2 1000.

400 fsb for a 3.2 clock and a rated fsb of 1600.
If I understand, this would be a good place to stop. (if I can even get to 3.2)
Am I correct on this point?
450 fsb for a 3.6 clock and a rated fsb of 1800.
If I understand, this would be a good time to show off my overclock but I would lose actual performance.

Would this lack of performance show up in something like 3dmark?
Thanks again Audio for all your help so far.

Peepaw said:
Lets see if I understand. Keep in mind that I've never had a cpu with an unlocked multi. I'll be working with a p5b, a e6420 and 2x1g ballistixddr2 1000.

400 fsb for a 3.2 clock and a rated fsb of 1600.
If I understand, this would be a good place to stop. (if I can even get to 3.2)
450 fsb for a 3.6 clock and a rated fsb of 1800.
If I understand, this would be a good time to show off my overclock but I would lose actual performance.

Would this lack of performance show up in something like 3dmark?
Thanks again Audio for all your help so far.

Well, I'd think with 400Mhz extra on the CPU and 50 Mhz on the RAM (from 3.2 to 3.6) that it will definitely outweigh the higher timings from the higher strap.

I'd say find your highest clock and if it is somewhere closer to 3.2, you might as well stick to 3.2 to get the lower strap....otherwise max out that CPU and RAM! :bday:

jivetrky said:
Well, I'd think with 400Mhz extra on the CPU and 50 Mhz on the RAM (from 3.2 to 3.6) that it will definitely outweigh the higher timings from the higher strap.

I'd say find your highest clock and if it is somewhere closer to 3.2, you might as well stick to 3.2 to get the lower strap....otherwise max out that CPU and RAM! :bday:

That's what I needed to know. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.:beer:
I'll find out around Tues. night.
Thanks

Evilsizer said:
PC2-6400 HZ

F2-6400PHU2-1GBHZ
F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ

4.0-4-4-12 @ 2.0 ~ 2.1V

Micron D9GMH (B6-3) 6-layer PCB
Micron D9GCT (B6-37E) (some) 6-layer PCB
Elpida AG-6E-E (before 05/2006) 6-layer PCB

Those are the ic's that were found to be used on the HZ line
if you would like to go thru the list you can here:
http://ramlist.ath.cx/ddr2/

i would pop them in the board and see how they do.

Well the first two (D9GMH and D9GCT) both appear to be "D9s." Am I missing something? Are there only certain D9s that are desirable?

youngbuck said:
Well the first two (D9GMH and D9GCT) both appear to be "D9s." Am I missing something? Are there only certain D9s that are desirable?
there are different types of d9's yes. some are binned more then other to meet the high speed some ram makers want to put out. not that doesnt stop micro from using lower speed grade d9's and testing them to see if they still meet the needs. that is just a list in order of ic's used on that ram, starting with the 2 types of d9's to now the elp ic's. hmm odd thing is then if the HZ are suppose to nice binned ic's then why do the pk's have tigher timings with the elp ic's. hmmm..

Back