• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 AMD 6970s and wait for gtx 600 series vs 2 msi gtx 580 lightenings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
3 years? Try 5-7 years. My GTX 260 has lasted(and still going) 4 years, All games are playable with 25+ fps(only the newest games dip below 30, so 25+) Newer games have to be brought down to "Mostly max" settings. But it all works well.

Please merge this post with top, total accident.

:eh?:

3 years? Try 5-7 years. My GTX 260 has lasted(and still going) 4 years, All games are playable with 25+ fps(only the newest games dip below 30, so 25+) Newer games have to be brought down to "Mostly max" settings. But it all works well.

Please merge this post with top, total accident.

No sorry I was incorrect in what i said, he will honestly be lucky to get 3 years out of them... in a multimonitor setup with 3gb 580s your bottleneck is the GPU itself not supporting that much RAM. Great cards dont get me wrong but are only useful if you wanna fill the gap between 1.5gb and ~2.1gb but unless your game runs past 1.5g performance is no different than a Ref. 580 (go figure) and after 2.1 performance drops.

But yes if he were to run the 3gb 580s on standard games that didnt use more than 2gb of RAM then yes it will last him a while but more resolution more RAM used.

3 gb cards are for 3D stuff. Things in 3D hog a LOT more VRAM. but games in 2D(not 3D vision.) only use ~60% of the VRAM on cards, depending on the game.

As to Domino, I'm gaming at 1680x1050, so it isn't truly maxed. The only games that bog me down are: Witcher 2, Dragon Age 2, Metro 2033, and thats it of the games that I own.

I have to bring metro down to mostly medium settings, and in DX10/9(not sure exactly what its set to.) to play with 30+ fps. 8 gigs of DDR3 1600 ram, and my I5 2500k defiantly help. That being said, it has reached the point to where an upgrade is necessary.

Anyway, that info is irrelevant to the OP's stuff.

As to Domino, I'm gaming at 1680x1050, so it isn't truly maxed. The only games that bog me down are: Witcher 2, Dragon Age 2, Metro 2033, and thats it of the games that I own.

I find even a 5850 on 1600x900 is not enough for the latest games. 40-50 FPS averages on Crysis 2 DX9 is discomforting to me.

I can stand 27+ fps, so its not really an issue for me. Also, dropping anti-ailising is a great way to improve fps immensely. x2-x4 is fine.

my 260 is no joke when it comes to handling games(except GTAIV...vram requirement is RETARDED, poorly coded.) as far as fps goes. Even if it IS limited to DX10 or lower.

Not sure if its my whole pc contributing to the good fps,(which it probably is.) but ever sense the new drivers released from nvidia, fps has been 5-12 higher than before.

I think a GTX 560 ti would be plenty "for now" it will handle most every game at max without so much as a hiccup. saves you $100 too.

unless you have $330 to spend, over the $221 of the 560 ti.

:p

Listen man i was about to drop 1200 on 580s. Anyway i was thinking of a 570 because of the fact that i could use it as a physx card when i get my new cards.

Not to be a downer...but with a 570 as physx with two GTX 690's would slow those two 690's down. you would get better fps and performance with those two cards handling the physx.

Besides, The number of games that actually uses the Physx Engine are very few and far apart, and even more so, dont need all that much power to handle the physx.

you WILL have refresh rate, or somewhere around 600 fps on current gen games with vsync off with those two cards at max settings(dependant on the game of course, metro and witcher would be like 120 fps at max.)

Just consuming more power from the PSU, wasting money in electricity.

Even if you WERE ready to dump $1200 on cards, I take money saving seriously, and try to show people the waste in the money.

That being said, a 570 for now is 100% fine, I just think using it as physx later on is a waste of resources.

Last edited:
Not to be a downer...but with a 570 as physx with two GTX 690's would slow those two 690's down. you would get better fps and performance with those two cards handling the physx.

Besides, The number of games that actually uses the Physx Engine are very few and far apart, and even more so, dont need all that much power to handle the physx.

you WILL have refresh rate, or somewhere around 600 fps on current gen games with vsync off with those two cards at max settings(dependant on the game of course, metro and witcher would be like 120 fps at max.)

Even if you WERE ready to dump $1200 on cards, I take money saving seriously, and try to show people the waste in the money.

That being said, a 570 for now is 100% fine, I just think using it as physx later on is a waste of resources.

O alright I didn't know it would slOw them down. I have decided that a 560 would work. Gets decent fps at 1920x1080 which is what I am running and I am going to buy my 3 monitors when i buy my new card. That's the final plan. .Total cost 2596.89 from newegg.com. I cam still open to suggestions and tips though

Come on what an argument... Seriously you talking about someone who wants to use 3 screen with 2 cards in physx and you say *wasting money in electricity* haha !

by the way 25fps is very low ! I cant even play with that kind of fps its looks to much blury and I cant imagine having someone with a 60 inch tv that have 25fps that would look ugly o_O

Its BECAUSE he has all of that that I'm telling him to not worry about it.

Think of it like this:

You get $500 a month in electricity for running that pc with desired specs. 200 more watts used means this can rise up to $550. You want to buy a game to use on your new pc, but have no money. You then realize, if you didn't use that extra card, your power bill would have given you enough to get a game.

Totally blown out of proportion, but trying to make my point. If it doesn't improve fps, and consumes more power, you are sacrificing what little resources you have available to you, preventing you from getting something else you want. Also, selling the 570 after he has his two new cards will give him about $200-250 back to buy some games to stress those cards.

Its BECAUSE he has all of that that I'm telling him to not worry about it.

Think of it like this:

You get $500 a month in electricity for running that pc with desired specs. 200 more watts used means this can rise up to $550. You want to buy a game to use on your new pc, but have no money. You then realize, if you didn't use that extra card, your power bill would have given you enough to get a game.

Totally blown out of proportion, but trying to make my point. If it doesn't improve fps, and consumes more power, you are sacrificing what little resources you have available to you, preventing you from getting something else you want. Also, selling the 570 after he has his two new cards will give him about $200-250 back to buy some games to stress those cards.

HAHA yo got a good sence of humour I hope that the 500$ of electricity was a joke or an example, since I got 3 AC running full time my computer that you can see in my signature and a 27inch screen and my refregerator etc... and I pay 70 $ a month of electricity. He will never be able to sell in one year a 570 at 250$ since nobody want a use videocard for almost the price of a new one. When you buy a video card you know that in a year you lose more than the half of the price if its not more.

Yes, it was a joke. Hence blown way out of proportion.

As for "in a year" it would be 4-5 months, so half a year(thats if the 600 series hits in Q4 2011)

As for $250, i think its reasonable for a used card 4-5 months down the road. $200 would probably be a safer bet, but either way, hes getting cash back towards his new cards.

Not sure if its my whole pc contributing to the good fps,(which it probably is.) but ever sense the new drivers released from nvidia, fps has been 5-12 higher than before.

Whatttt:shock:! Man I can't wait to reformate then, I haven't updated my GPU drivers since the end of last summer. And I'll be OCing the CPU soon which should add an extra boost to the better part of my games. Woot! :thup:

You know Keplar has been delayed to Feb 2012 at the earliest?

Thats what I was telling you its not 3-4 months its in 2012 Q1 .... You can buy the fastest product on the market now and have plenty of time to earn the money you need for the next gen... come on

Thats what I was telling you its not 3-4 months its in 2012 Q1 .... You can buy the fastest product on the market now and have plenty of time to earn the money you need for the next gen... come on

True but my b day in in feb so in some ways this is good because i might not even have to drop a single penny on this. WIN!!:clap:

Back