• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 SSDs what to do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Melhisedek

Well I've decided to upgrade HD in my wife's Macbook Pro to SSD and have bought "Samsung 840 Evo Basic" than I went out and checked it against Crucial m4 in my main rig and it seems that 840 isa a fair deal faster at least in benchmarks.

So the question is, should I bother/is it worth it to back up everything, take out m4 from my main rig and put it into MBP so I can have 840 in my main rig or the difference is not that noticeable?

Both of them would be used for day-to-day stuff nothing fancy except for main rig which is used for gaming.

When going from a HD to an SSD the difference is noticeable, in your case going from a older ssd to a quicker newer one, I would bet the difference would be marginal at best. If you used the drive and made a lot of read and writes off it then yes you would but for normal computing I doubt you would see the difference.

I see, it is as I have thought than :) I'm so happy with my m4 and if the difference would not be noticeable I get to save me some time and just put 840 into MBP.

Thanks fellas

Just make sure you don't create a headache for yourself for this minor upgrade. I've learned the hard way... making MAJOR changes for MINOR differences is never worth it in my opinion.

What would you be imaging with on the Mac anyway, if you were to do this?

Well in case of Mac I wouldn't clone anything as there isn't a lot to backup. I would just format it and install everything anew.

In case of my desktop, now that would be a procedure :) Installing everything and such... I've never used cloning tbh and have always just used format.

Well in case of Mac I wouldn't clone anything as there isn't a lot to backup. I would just format it and install everything anew.

In case of my desktop, now that would be a procedure :) Installing everything and such... I've never used cloning tbh and have always just used format.

With MAC cloning isn't as simple (or free). On a Windows desktop I find it easier. You could see if you can get your hands on Acronis for free (Western Digital hard drives, if you've bought them, sometimes offer it), or CloneZilla. Actually, Clonezilla may even work with MAC...

For MAC there is a software called Carbon Copy (something like this) its free copying software and works great for HDD - SSD copies. Used it a few times on a co-workers PC.

BTW, if for me, I would of course put the faster one in my Desktop (more potential to using it) and put the slower one in the MBP. Depending on how old it is, might not have SATA III port so its going to bring it slower and the M4 is more suited for that (not as limited). As I see it, speed is speed. If I can get more from it, really using it in the PC will probably out do anything on a Laptop hands down for utilizing the speed. But that might just be me :)

Back