• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x850xt pe..... ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

newbzg

hey guys i just got the card from newegg today, i install it ...... drivers....etc also connect the power to it since apg can't handle that much power these days, so i am starting dod(day of defeat) and it is all fine i have a 24' screen set the resolution at 1900 1200 and it's just fine, when i started to connect to one of the server there was a beep coming from the machine, and i knew that it was the card, because this has not happened before. basically after i connected to the server and started playing the beep was gone.... after about 15 minutes of playing my computer just shut down...... any thoughts to why it happened i have not overclocked it yet. it's agp.

btw the card is sweet i like it a lot, but i m concerned if there is enough power going in there......

any help is appreciated. thx guys !

how would i check my temp? (is there a program that can show me this).... anyway i turned on nfs 2 on all the highest setting and resolution and it shutdown on me again!! but after i restarted it said overclocking failed WTF!!!! i didnt over clock it yet... how would i solve the heating issue, i have two fans on that machine, maybe the room is too hot? i am guessing it's not the power beacuse mine can handle 430w and it says recommended 350 on the box of the video card.....

Thanks again !

guys any suggestions.... i can't play till i figure this out !!!
plz help !

intel pentium 4
3.2 ghz 1gig ram
asustek p4p 800se mobo

anything else i should mention ????

Antec makes the psu.....

the rails are.....

DC Output +5v +12v +3.3v -5v -12v +5v sb

total wattage and the amps for each rail are more usefull for psu specs....better yet just put a link to the psu, is this a clean windows install? if not what was your old video card, if it was an NV card you should run driver cleaner. another possible suspect is the power draw of the card is rendering your cpu unstable, or maybe you knocked the cpu heatsink loose when installing the card, try prime95 and to rule the cpu out as a culprit, if its not the cpu then, that narrows it down to psu or video card, use a multimeter of MBM5 to check the rails under load, try unplugging all hardware except for mobo- video card- harddrive to lighten the load on the psu to see if it helps, run atitool artifact scanner to see if that will crash the pc..... many things to try, keep us posted

Last edited:
well, I think he asked for a temperature reading program so I geuss ill give you one. :)

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=204

When searching for your motherboard in the mobo list, let the list load completely, scroll down to Asus, expand it, scroll alllllll the way down to the p4p and select your mobo. Then you can configure how you want stuff displayed and tada.

when i run the atitool even to see if i could overclock it the machine shutsdown right after i turn it on, it's like i can't even do anything..i did use it on the older card, so maybe that's why it's shutting down because i overclocked the video card to 300+ and this one is stock at 500+core so i might read still from the other card. before i had ati 9600 series, i did remove the drivers. and installed the new ones from the cd that came with the box. i did not touch the heatsink at all. Ok an i installed the mbm5 monitor and the with selection of the mobo that i have it says case at 95F and CPU at 105F sensor at 3 32F does that sound about right???? I also ran the driver cleaner and selected all of the ati options and removed it.

o btw i have two hdd one is sata 10000 rpm the other ide 7200, and third one is connected to the usb (it's enclosure hdd) that one is like 180GIG but it's slow not sure what the rpm is maybe 5200.....

now i am running the prime95 .... ill let you know how that goes... and how could the video card make my cpu unstable, i think it has more then enough juice. Another thing i will try is to disconnect all the little **** to see if power is the issue which i doubt.

After that i will re-install the drivers, since i removed with the pro cleaner, and other then that i dont know whatlelse. Would you rather guys install drivers from cd or from ati.com

Thank you guys.... I appreciate all the help! :)

Can you post the info from your PSU? You only listed the rails not their ratings which is what people were interested in. The more info from the PSU the better thanks.

the 12v rail on that is kinda weak but should be fine for your PC if its in good working condition, did you prime stable?
also try underclocking your card to something like 400/400 and see if it still crashes, and try bumping your agp voltage up a little
the video card should have a dedicated molex line, meaning there shouldn't be anything else connected to that molex dongle
i suggested mbm5 so you could check the rail fluctuations.. it logs the highest and lowest readings of each rail and there shouldn't be a big difference between the two if your psu good

ehhe that's what i have done, i took the power out from teh cd rom and floppy and some other not needed stuff, and dedicated one power line to the card...... i did use mbm5 but how do i up the voltage to the agp(refer to the post above i listed my temp)..... also if it is the power issue and if after that it will seem fine, which psu do you guys suggest, i dont care about the cost as long as it's not like 200 $ lol

also i have not installed the drives yet, but after i do that i will try to run atitool, which i could not before ill see if that works, and let you know .....

thanks guys ! :)

OCZ520 Powerstream is a great PSU. You still need to look at those temps on the cpu and gpu when running a game.

Last edited:
ok guys so this is what happened, i switched got rid of all of the power that was not needed..... i turn on the game and the same beep :(

i switched to my little 15" screen to see if that made the difference and it does not same beep and then shutdown of the game.....

what i did is i underclocked the card from stock of 540/590 to 400/400 and it seemed fine on the little 15' screen.

i dont know what to do now, how can i measure my gpu/cpu while i am playing... now i will try to get it to the stock speed and see what happnes then.... so after turning down the clock i obviously can't take the full advantage of the card .... what do you guys suggest. should i buy the psu and see what happenes or what !!

thanks again.

Back