• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8400 cpu overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

enrico68

Good morning folks, I'd like your opinion on my current overclock. I have an Asus P5-K MB, E8400 cpu, which I overclocked form stock 3.0 Ghz to 4.0 Ghz. The system was tested with Prime95, for almost 8 hours, with max temps under load of 68/70 C, according to Coretemp. The cpu is cooled with an aftermarket cooler, on air. After the stress test, I ran the simulator with pretty much all sceneries I have set to max, which is something quite cpu intensive, and the average temp under load was around 58/60 C.

To reach 4.0, I had to increase vcore to 1.4, as per CPU-Z, overclock the RAM from 400 to about 460, with vdimm set to 2.0.

What do you experts think? Could I keep my system with these settings? The system is stable, it goes through POST with no problem. When no intensive program is running, temp drop to 45/47 C.

In the near future, I am planning on building a new PC, with maybe the next Haswell cpu, and liquid cooling, for better overclocking.

Let me know what you think, regards,

Enrico :)

What do you mean "Seems a little hot"? 70c while priming and 60c while the cpu is Under load, is far from being hot.

Keep enjoying your computer. Everything seems alright to me.

I've had my E8400 running for years at just over 4.0ghz (505x8) at 1.3825v and my RAM running 1:1 at 2.2v. I think CPU-Z showed it more at 1.35, but either way, it was fine. My RAM was rated at 2.2v which is why I had it set to that.

If it's stable like you said, I would keep those settings. :thup:

Back