• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP!, Trouble overclocking new ram, what do I do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zabak80

I know a little bit about overclocking, but could really use some help on this one.

I recently decided to upgrade some parts of my computer, and adding more RAM was part of it.

I currently use a
- Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 mobo
- 2 x 2 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) timing 7-8-7-24
- Intel core i5 750 2.67
- Seasonic 750 watt power supply

So I have always been able to overclock my setup to 1600 on the ram, and 3.2 on the CPU without any problems.

Recently I added GeIL EVO POTENZA 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) timint 9-9-9-28

All ram works btw, I tested them.

Problem is...

Everytime I add the ram, and run all 4 modules, if I try to overclock to the previous 3.2 cpu and 1600 ram, I get an error on boot up and it kicks me down to 2.1 ghz on the CPU and 1333 on the ram.

I tried overclocking with JUST each set of rams, and they all overclock perfectly and stable without the other sticks installed.

Its only when all the ram is installed when I get overclocking errors.

Can someone please help me???

You are using two completely different sets of RAM each with their own timings and chips. I wouldn't expect them to overclock at all and in some circumstances not even boot with both sets installed.

You are using two completely different sets of RAM each with their own timings and chips. I wouldn't expect them to overclock at all and in some circumstances not even boot with both sets installed.
+1
Never a good idea to run mis-matched memory even at stock, much less trying to overclock them. If it were me, I'd get rid of the old G.Skill kit and the new Geil kit and just grab a set of G.Skill 2X8 Gb (16 Gb) kit. Tridents RipJawsZ, Sniper or whatever, they'll all work good and probably overclock quite well too.

If you want to make it run then try 2x4GB in 1/3 slot and use XMP settings. If it won't run then after enabling XMP on 2x4GB kit check what timings set motherboard ( in BIOS or Windows ) and set the same manually. Can switch memory in slots to check if it's helping but in this case you have to use slower kit settings and that will be 2x4GB. Command Rate 2N and slightly higher memory voltage can help. You can also try higher VTT voltage.

Ugh, thanks guys, for some reason I thought I could mismatch brands..DOH!

I'll just stick with the 8gb and mothball the old 4gb. Thinks were running ok at 4gb, sure the 8gb will get me through another year.

You can, but it does help to pull the bios battery for a bit, and then plug in the ram you want to use. For some reason with my system if I am running 3x2gb and then add another 3x2gb I get all kinds of problems. If I yank the battery out for a bit, then plug in all of my stix it fires right up no problem. It overclocks ok too, just not as well as 1 set does. I only mention this because our systems are somewhat similar in age.

Back