• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why are laptop CPUs slower?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

i have seen a laptop capable of pulling off 2.5GHz and i think that's the fastest i've seen for stock speed. why do laptops perform at a lower rate as far as CPU GHz? is it because laptops are smaller, or something else? just trying to get a better understanding on this, any insight is appreciated

Don't have room to dissipate all the heat of a desktop CPU, so they slow the processor down so that it makes less heat.

it's quite surprising how far computers have come, and how far they'll continue to go. in a matter of 20 years (if i remember correctly) computers went from a black DOS screen to a CPU clocked at over 5GHz, liquid cooling, and 3 way SLI with GTX 780. it seems there is no limit to how far the technology grows

it's quite surprising how far computers have come, and how far they'll continue to go. in a matter of 20 years (if i remember correctly) computers went from a black DOS screen to a CPU clocked at over 5GHz, liquid cooling, and 3 way SLI with GTX 780. it seems there is no limit to how far the technology grows

One of my former supervisors used to talk about card readers for IBM mainframes and how a popular prank was to drop a fake stack of punched cards pretending it was someone's actual stack. The collated stack of cards literally comprised someone's computer program and had to be loaded in order. Back then programmers didn't get any output from their program until after it had been run and that output came out on a dot matrix printer, which probably encouraged programmers to write it right the first time.

Back