• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 8350 or I7 4770k!!!help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, it depends on the title, agreed on that, but one CPU is a limiting factor on mmany games (you have to agree on that ;)) when the other is not.

Edit: argh, time wasted!

Yes, checked them. My crysis3 link goes against it...

Honestly. I don't really care. In 5 minutes of searching I have found enough to have a quality counterpoint. Thanks though, but don't waste your time as we will go in circles posting up links. Either one will be fine, but if you go SLI/CFx with high end cards, you will likely want an Intel to push them, yes.

:grouphug:

No, I don't agree.

perhaps both consoles will use 8 core cpus and graphics from amd . when they port they will need tojust make it run. :D I can see that the ports will work very good with the current amd architecture.

Last edited:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6985/choosing-a-gaming-cpu-at-1440p-adding-in-haswell-

A CPU for Dual GPU Gaming: i5-2500K or FX-8350

Looking back through the results, moving to a dual GPU setup obviously has some issues. Various AMD platforms are not certified for dual NVIDIA cards for example, meaning while they may excel for AMD, you cannot recommend them for team Green. There is also the dilemma that while in certain games you can be fairly GPU limited (Metro 2033, Sleeping Dogs), there are others were having the CPU horsepower can double the frame rate (Civilization V).

After the overview, my recommendation for dual GPU gaming comes in at the feet of the i5-2500K. This recommendation may seem odd – these chips are not the latest from Intel, but chances are that pre-owned they will be hitting a nice price point, especially if/when people move over to Haswell. If you were buying new, the obvious answer would be looking at an i5-3570K on Ivy Bridge rather than the 2500K, so consider this suggestion a minimum CPU recommendation.

On the AMD side, the FX-8350 puts up a good show across most of the benchmarks, but falls spectacularly in Civilization V. If this is not the game you are aiming for and want to invest AMD, then the FX-8350 is a good choice for dual GPU gaming.

Why delidding? Haswell@stock is faster than the [email protected]. And you can achieve 4.5GHz with a good air cooler on the Intel CPU.
Together with a $130 MoBo and a 500W PSU when you need a $180 MoBo (990FX-UD3 new revision do not play nice anymore with the FXs), 600PSU at least and a H100 to keep it cool...

EDIT: I am no fanboy at all. My rig plays everything maxed out@1080p (except Crysis 3), but it has a 40%+ OC, when a 2500k would give more FPS@stock.

That's a very good point.I agree!!! You need a high end motherboard to overclock because a better vrm circuit is needed.Sure a Gigabyte 970a-ud3 is a budget board, but it can handle a higher overclock.I would not push mine much farther than I have now, at 4.4g.Why? The nb is not suited for that abuse.Very small for the work it has to do, and a better chipset would help. It seems that the rev 3 boards are throttling down fx chips with some bios changes too, so I'm done with budget boards and fx cpus.

Not comparing fx to Haswell, but the heat issue on Haswell, just bothers me alot.Knowing I could drop temps down from the start, increase longevity, get higher overclocks, and sticking with air vs water, is almost enough reason.

Last edited:
That's a very good point.Another consideration is fx cpu's require a high end motherboard to overclock because a better vrm circuit is needed.Sure a Gigabyte 970a-ud3 is a budget board, but it can handle a higher overclock.I would not push mine much farther than I have now, at 4.4g.Why? The nb is not suited for that abuse.Very small for the work it has to do, and a better chipset would help. It seems that the rev 3 boards are throttling down fx chips with some bios changes too, so I'm done with budget boards and fx cpus.

Agreed.

Which means that a i5 Haswell setup does not cost more than a FX8320 one.

I think we all agree that the i5 is the way to go, but I'm just saying the FX-8350 isn't a bad choice for dual GPU gaming.

Agreed.

Which means that a i5 Haswell setup does not cost more than a FX8320 one.

This seems to answer the original question.A 8350 or a 4770 ? I love amd. I will always run an amd system, but those i5 Intel's are hard to pass up when you look at the facts, as far as gaming.Its not all about benchmarks.Motherboard choices on the Intel side have more diversity in quality.

Intel = Quality
AMD = Budget
:facepalm:

They are both QUALITY CPU's... you should get it out of your head that just because something costs less automatically means it is less quality. In some things, that is true, yes. But it sure as hell isn't in Intel vs AMD(CPU) or NVIDIA vs AMD(GPU)... :bang head. Facts are facts there Cul.

Last edited:
To summarize, I'd say that if you already have a good AM3+ MoBo, go for a 8320/8350 and just swap the CPU's.

If you build from scratch, grab a 4670k system.

I think we all agree that the i5 is the way to go, but I'm just saying the FX-8350 isn't a bad choice for dual GPU gaming.

Ok, but which i5?

Below was some feedback from the article you referenced. http://www.anandtech.com/show/6985/choosing-a-gaming-cpu-at-1440p-adding-in-haswell-

Preliminary indications are that for the majority of overclockers (those who do not want to spend as much for a custom water-cooling loop as for the CPU itself), a 4770K is a worse bet, as it apparently runs hotter than even the 3770K, and the gains in 'Instructions per Clock' likely do not make up for what would thus be a reduced 'Maximum Stable Overclock.'

How long will Ivy bridge be around.Another year ? I have no clue, but thoughts, insights ? I'm lost on the Intel side, but I will make up for that with alot of reading.It never ends :)

Last edited:
and the gains in 'Instructions per Clock' likely do not make up for what would thus be a reduced 'Maximum Stable Overclock.

I believe the opposite is true. The difference in max stable OC is what, 200MHz? Assuming, under equal cooling (high end air, for example), you can get Haswell to 4.3GHz consistently and IB to 4.5GHz consistently. That's a 4.65% improvement, and the IPC gain of Haswell is definitely more than that.

IB is phased out immediately. Haswell is the direct replacement.

Which i5 to go for, IMO, is completely dependent on the price you get it for.

^Yep.

A used 3570k with the 3 years Intel warrantly would be my choice. Sure you can grab one for $150 or less.

They are both QUALITY CPU's... you should get it out of your head that just because something costs less automatically means it is less quality. In some things, that is true, yes. But it sure as hell isn't in Intel vs AMD(CPU) or NVIDIA vs AMD(GPU)... . Facts are facts there Cul.

Facts are facts in that you get 100% performance and 120% price with Intel, while with AMD its like 80% performance and 90% price.

Plus if your going to overclock you need a better AMD board because of inefficencies and how much power overclocking an AMD proc takes, its really just a cascade of expenses that makes the difference between them even worse for AMD.

But yeah, I'd go with a 3570k or its Haswell 4570k.

It would be helpful, in order to understand what you actually meant, to post what you actually mean. Quality has nothing to do with the performance of the CPU/GPUs. And just not going down this rabbit hole as it is an exercise in futility.

Back