• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I busted a CAP!!! Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
Ya, thats right I am so [H]ard I busted a capacitor... off of my video card. I couldnt solder it back cause one of the leads was broke very close to the insulator on the cap. Below is a copy of one of the 'intact' capacitors, it is identical to the one which was broken off. I cannot figure out how to decipher this type of cap. Could someone please decipher it for me. And tell me where I can find a replacement and also if any other type/size cap can be substituted.

TY, in advance.
stompah

The capacitor looks surface mount, and the image you have shown seems to sugest that it is 330u

a quick look on the internet told me that the middle number 330 is the capacitance (in u)

and i am guessing that it is 25v - the only reson for this is that most comonents are 25v and the 330u cap is only avalable in 25v.

i found the capacitor in the www.rapideletronics.com catalouge, part code 11-2314 but do a search on the internet for the manufactures code, which is DVCR33025

Ty for your help. Unfortunately the store you directed me to is in Colorado and I am in Massachusetts. I checked Radio Shack (they will be the closest to me) and the best I found was 470µF 35V 20% Radial-lead Electrolytic Capacitor. I take it that this should be sufficient for replacement? The voltage is higher but it should be backward compatible right? I dont remember much about caps.

im pretty sure that you will need a cap of the same voltage as this is part of the way they function. Cant remember much of the electronics course i did, it will come back to me soon :eh?:

I am also fairly positive that the cap you linked to wont work.

It is going to allow 10 more volts run through the mobo, plus that 20% means that it can handle a 20% fluxuation in the voltage. So it can actually go:

35V x 20% = 7V up/down

That means that it will allow 17 more volts than the origional.

I would suggest looking for the exact one, even if you have to have it shipped..........I would rather pay $5 - $10 for the proper resistor than lose a mobo! :D

P.S. - I think I am correct, can't remember everything that i learned from my electronics course. :)

Yeah. When dealing with caps its best to get the same as replacements. Tolerances and nominal values will be different if you use a different cap, and may affect the way the circuit works to point that it may damage it, especially on something like a vid card that has close tolerances.

this may sound dumb or a spam..but like just call the company that made the card....they should know and hopefully will help you out...

Spec

I bought a 25v/330 capacitor... not the exact style replacement but it works 100%.

And it only cost me $1.53

I was just about to suggest to solder a wires to it's leads, solder those to the board, and use hot glue to hold the cap somewhere. But, your solution works, if you're into quick, cheap, and easy. :p

CrystalMethod said:
I was just about to suggest to solder a wires to it's leads, solder those to the board, and use hot glue to hold the cap somewhere. But, your solution works, if you're into quick, cheap, and easy. :p
The original cap had one of its leads broke off real close to the insulation on the cap. Trust me I tried many times. Eventually the only way to get a solid hold was to puddle a bit of solder on it. But that just made it hard to get anything on the longer lead. So I tried soldering the longer lead first... it ddnt work. This worked fine. Even though its not the same it works fine. I would show you my ghetto soldering skills but I dont wanna push my luck ;)

sorry I lost the thred, but i am glad to see that your replacement works.

just to confirm, a higher voltage is fine, most capacitors are rated at 2x the voltage that ges through them anyway, so so using a cap rated at a higher voltage is fine

Ty 'The Overclocker' I used teh specs you agve me and as you see it works!

Back