• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

equinox! Challange accepted!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
keep it up, summer heat is beginning for some people so nows the time to make a move. moved my gpus back to team 32 so my production should be back up by tomorrow.

I just broke into the top 20 producers for the first time ever and I'm #18. It's very cool. I'm still working on ditching the 770 and 660 Ti for two R9 280x's but by golly, I'm finally producing.

Two R9 280Xs could produce 300K PPD depending on how they overclock.

New cards coming in.

I just bought two R9 280x cards from fleabay. I got them for about half price. I have no doubt that they were used for mining so I'm gambling on the life that they have left in them. I think I will win that bet. Saphire Toxic.
Newegg link to the same card.

I have a 750 watt 80+ silver PS now. I will probably only be able to run one card for a bit. We'll see how it goes.

I just bought two R9 280x cards from fleabay. I got them for about half price. I have no doubt that they were used for mining so I'm gambling on the life that they have left in them. I think I will win that bet. Saphire Toxic.
Newegg link to the same card.

I have a 750 watt 80+ silver PS now. I will probably only be able to run one card for a bit. We'll see how it goes.
You are right about only running one card on the 750W PSU. In the specs of that card on newegg it says: "1000W (or greater) power supply with four 150W 8-pin PCI Express power connector recommended for AMD CrossFire technology in dual mode."

Nice review of your card at:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/12/02/sapphire_toxic_r9_280x_video_card_review/1#.U6mkRrEQG5M
He got a 1240MHz overclock (beyond the factory overclock of 1150MHz) on it using Sapphire TriXX software to do the overclock.

Again, 750 is way overkill for one 280X

A quality 750 should handle two 280X's without issue......

foldon.gif

I intend to underclock them slightly during the summer. If I don't, the wife will insist that I stop folding to reduce heat in the office. I wish to fold and I wish to keep peace in the home. :attn:

Hopefully I'll get them by the weekend. Other wise it won't be until next weekend before I can really mess with them.

Real world power usage on my computer with two 280Xs clocked at 1165MHz and a i7-860 cpu pull a max of 576 watts (according to my CyberPower PowerPanel software).

576 is only 77% of 750.

I got my two R9 280x's this weekend. I was able to install just one of them last night. The predicted PPD on that one card with CPU is ~120k ppd. About three times the PPD of my GTX 770 and 660Ti.

GAME ON!!!!

:comp:

good to hear don. hopefully the heat wont hamper your fun. you are getting the same hot and muggy weather I am. I wont be up to full speed until next week as im on vacation right now. shut down a few while I am gone.

Just started to get a full days points from my new card and......

Power is out. Big storms (Plural) came through and took out power for 25% of the county. I don't expect to have power for a day or two.

Thank goodness for internet at work. :bang head

Just started to get a full days points from my new card and......

Power is out. Big storms (Plural) came through and took out power for 25% of the county. I don't expect to have power for a day or two.

Thank goodness for internet at work. :bang head

Unfortunately, you are experiencing Murphy's Law.
I'll be watching your progress once you get those new cards folding. I hope to welcome you to the Top 20 PPD contributors for Team 32.
I wish you good luck (you've had enough bad).

We were only without electric for about 36 hours. We had zero wind damage but the areas around us were slammed.

My numbers are starting to reflect the one R9 280x I have in service. Its looking nice. I'll try to get the other 280x installed tonight. Starting tomorrow I begin a kitchen remodel and will not have time to install a GPU. Must fold more.......

Both 280X's are in place. The estimated ppd is well over 200k. I'm not going to catch you but I will mount my biggest offensive to date.

To bastardize a great quote: "I come, I see, I conquer".

Game on.

My system crashed two nights ago. I restarted the system and restarted FAH. I then had to leave it for the day. While everything looked like it was running fine, it was not actually doing anything. I rebooted several times. Ultimately I had to ditch all of my work. That was three nearly completed WU's. Once I got it going again, I had to start all of my WU's over. In all I lost about two days work. :bang head

This is a problem that I have using my main rig as my main folding rig.

I will be resolving this issue soon. I bought a machine almost the same as my main rig in the sig. Once I get a PS for it I will put the two 280x in there and put my 660Ti and 770 GTX in my gaming/folding rig.

I will get the most ppd this way.

You stink. I have a new MB incoming. I will then piece together a Dell XPS with a new SSD, two graphics cards, etc. I think that your update will do more than my update but I'm gonna match you the best I can.

I can't do much until after our kitchen is done but once it is..... look out buddy boy.

We have two nuclear plants in the area and I'm looking to put both of them to the test. :rofl:

You get the remodel done then we will push it. Im just gonna prep a little before hand. Nice job on the house so far cant wait to see the end results.

I have most if not all of the equipment I need to make another push. I'm building another core i7-920 with two GPUs. I'll move my 2x R9-280x into this new machine to keep them folding at full power 24/7 in the basement where the wife could care less about the heat and noise.

In my main rig, I'll put my 770 and 660Ti which churn out fewer points. These two cards are sitting on a desk and aren't producing any PPD.

My AMD cards have been having slight driver problems since I installed them. Nothing major and mostly while gaming. I also have to stop folding on my main rig when web browsing and game playing. By moving those cards to a dedicated folding rig, we will get the most value from them.

:comp:

Bringing this thread back. I have three R9-280x's and one 7970 as of a few minutes ago. Too early to say what my points will be but they should be good.

When I'm not gaming on the weekends, I also have my GTX 770 and 560Ti. I have a GTX 660Ti on RMA and a 460 1 GB on loan. Those will go into the mix somewhere.

At this point I'm just trying to match your output not catch you or surpass you.

Fold on buddy. :clap:

Back