• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FC2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Greetings!

Just cancelled my pre-order for FarCry2.
FarCry 2
Ce jeu vidéo est protégé par le logiciel SecuROM pour la gestion des droits numériques. Ce logiciel installe sur l'ordinateur de l'utilisateur des modules supplémentaires nécessaires pour la protection
de copie et limite le nombre d'installations possibles pour le jeu. Une connexion à Internet sera nécessaire au cours de l'installation et/ou de la première exécution pour déverrouiller le jeu.

FarCry2 comes with Securom, limited activations and online authentications for single player game.

Just to be safe cancelled all my pre-orders. Will not spend my money in this type of protected games.

Greetings!

Just cancelled my pre-order for FarCry2.

FarCry2 comes with Securom, limited activations and online authentications for single player game.

Just to be safe cancelled all my pre-orders. Will not spend my money in this type of protected games.

if thats true, then the answer is simple for me :) buy it on xbox! :) hehe

...the fact that its an UBI game scares me.

Me too. Theres no way I'm setting myself up for this. Many UBI games have come in at mach 1 on the hype train, and left me staring at a lighter wallet. I'm sure from all we've seen; the dev. video walkthroughs, the gameplay footage will be as described and very much cool. But they're the pros and we haven't seen the cons. My Rainless prediction here is that managing such an open plot with all the npc stories and 'questing at your own pace' is where UBI drops the ball. I don't think they'll pull it off right. Time will tell, and I am going to buy it. I just hope I'm not buying the farm. ;)

Gotta get my HD4850s overclocked and CPU clocked up in prep for this one :D I think I know what I'm going to be doing all Thanksgiving break ;)

if thats true, then the answer is simple for me :) buy it on xbox! :) hehe

I might have to start doing this for all of the securom games. With all of these drm filled games now I know I'll lose track of how many installs I have and when I think I'll be able to install it again I'll find out that I can't. :(

I plan on getting a hold of this game this thursday or friday. If I do, I'll let you guys know what I think. I have a good feeling it's gonna be one of the few games I purchase this month.

when i want a game with either securom or starforce i just buy it on steam, or if steam doesnt have it i buy the game legally but just use a pirated copy.

i dont know the legalities of this but i think its perfectly moral

Greetings!

The Securom DRM scheme is also present in the Steam version.
Definitely not buying Farcry2

fine with me

Publisher Ubisoft has confirmed that the PC its open-world shooter Far Cry 2, which hits alongside the PS3 and Xbox 360 editions on October 21, will use a slightly different configuration of the SecuROM DRM technology found in Spore and Crysis Warhead. Ubisoft forum manager bukowski113 posted the details on the game's official forum:
You have 5 activations on 3 separate PCs.
Uninstalling the game "refunds" an activation. This process is called "revoke", so as long as you complete proper uninstall you will be able to install the game an unlimited number of times on 3 systems.
You can upgrade your computer as many time as you want (using our revoke system)

Ubisoft is committed to the support of our games, and additional activations can be provided.
Ubisoft is committed to the long term support of our games: you'll always be able to play Far Cry 2.
Upon Spore's release, the game's DRM generated a fair amount of controversy, to the point where someone filed a class action lawsuit against publisher EA.
EA CEO John Ricitiello recently spoke out on the subject, admitting that while he doesn't personally like DRM, it is needed to fight piracy and is "something that 99.8 percent of users wouldn't notice."

I wonder if ordering it from Steam is better. I have it on multiple PCs and i just hope the game works like the other source games I have where FC2 can only be played when I'm logged onto steam.

it will be way better in steam..everything is better in steam lol and if it has anykind of drm i think it will be different with steam....

Greetings!
Better hope the uninstall isn't bugged...either on its own or from your computer.
Or you dont forget to revoke the game activation before formating.
All other games that allow revoke need a revoke tool, its not just uninstalling the game- unless Securom improved its software.

PS:
Steam version has the same exact DRM as the retail version.
fc2steamdrmlo9sd7.jpg

when i want a game with either securom or starforce i just buy it on steam, or if steam doesnt have it i buy the game legally but just use a pirated copy.

i dont know the legalities of this but i think its perfectly moral

I'm with you on this one. If I have purchased a license to play a game, no reason I can't use no CD .exe and stuff like that.

I feel your frustration. Also alot of people seem to be under the illusion it uses the same engine as Crysis (which it doesn't, it has its own developed)

Crysis only disapointed people who have an insessant need to play a game on max graphics, for those who only need medium graphics the game ran fine on 3-4 year old machines (well it did on mine, and it was hardly 'top of the range' when I bought it). Personally I loved Crysis, but then again I also loved the origonal far cry. Just playing through the game again now that I have a new PC on very high graphics, sure the odd landscape looks wow, but overall the game experience was just as good on medium settings on my old 6800GT card.

AH well, Im certainly looking forward to Far cry 2, every vid iv seen makes it look amazing :) its on my list of games to get, unfortunatly at this time of the year that list is looong. I also havent decided yet, to get this on PC or xbox :/

on xbox its going to have the same graphics as medium on pc

I am sure it will be like window where you get to call in, wait twenty minutes for tech support to tell you that you have exceeded you number of install and question why you are installing again, and how many computers you have the software on, yatta yatta yatta,

i pre-ordered last Sunday. typically i reformat only once a year... the game will last me five years if i am a complete dumb @$$

Back