• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you color your water?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baditude_df

Northern Senior
Howdy Gents,

If you mix your own coolant, do you color it? Or just leave it clear?

If you color it, what do you use? Where do you buy?

I don't suppose food coloring would be a good idea due to it's ingredients, but I'm not really sure. Anyone tried it?

I use a really big marker to color the inside and then a fine tip marker to color by the lines..

wait my bad, got confused.

Many of the additives have color added. You can also use coolant if you want, or buy actual dye.

BE CAREFUL WITH THE DYE! If you buy the wrong kind, it will settle out of suspension and you will end up with spots of funky colored coolant.

Buy colored tubing. Run just distilled and some Petras Biocide. Seen (read) too many posts about wired clogs, slow flows, growths, and just absolute nightmares with many other things.

Disclaimer: I have seen a few distilled/ etc loops go bad, but the number is small. I have seen, by proportion, many more loops screwed up by 'colored/UV/bling/ 'special non-conductive' liquids.

Car coolant is fine, but is usually unnecessary unless you have a mix of aluminum and copper in your loop.

No, you don't have a car in the computer room. And Albyno, I don't see how your input furthured this discussion. Why do run anti-freeze in your car, and why is or isn't it required in your PC WC loop? Awaiting your input...............

I use pentosin. ~5% yields a nice blue (or red if the red works just as well at 5%).

Ok, first off, thanks for your replies.

Second, I guess I should have been more clear. I've used many types of pre-made coolants, and I've mixed my own(distilled+PT Nuke). The only thing I haven't done is dye the fluid a different color. I was just wondering what you guys used. B4 I try this FeserF1 I want to try it out to see what it looks like and how much I will have to add to get to the desired color.

And Conumdrum, I plan on going with a dark FeserTube or PrimoFlex LRT Black for the next loop to cut down on the amount of sunlight that hits distilled/biocide mix.

Anyhow, thanks again.

Last edited:
FrozenCPU water dye. I bought the UV red stuff and used it for two loops. Never again. It dyed GREAT but stained everything nearly instantly.

No worris bad. What you need to worry about is all the new peeps who find this site. They got no idea what's good or bad. We don't need to sustain the xx is best etc internet myths.

xtreme forums IS the xtreme and is the best place to ask advanced questions. I hate to dumb down what we ned to ask, but maybe with a disclaimer at times. Peeps could just take it wrong. So I made a almost sticky answer to resolve your general question.

What IS a new development is Fesser colored tubing, seems to be very nice. Some UV even. Still able to run a stable non-screwed-gunked up loop and have the coolness of color.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=575676

ANOTHER post to calm down the masses. Please read. I'm almost to he point of not bothering with it anymore. Other peeps problems or preventing them is my issue, it's a common humanity thing. But boy, I'm tired of doing it. I got games to play.

i wasnt talking about anti freeze Conumdrum. Car coolant mix is typicaly GREEN! (and no not all colant has anti freeze in it) therefor it would color his water! what i was asking was would it be BAD if not he could use it and it would color his water..... hence furthering the discussion unlike ur first comment which was to attack me not answer either question

Last edited:
No worris bad. What you need to worry about is all the new peeps who find this site. They got no idea what's good or bad. We don't need to sustain the xx is best etc internet myths.

xtreme forums IS the xtreme and is the best place to ask advanced questions. I hate to dumb down what we ned to ask, but maybe with a disclaimer at times. Peeps could just take it wrong. So I made a almost sticky answer to resolve your general question.

What IS a new development is Fesser colored tubing, seems to be very nice. Some UV even. Still able to run a stable non-screwed-gunked up loop and have the coolness of color.

ANOTHER post to calm down the masses. Please read. I'm almost to he point of not bothering with it anymore. Other peeps problems or preventing them is my issue, it's a common humanity thing. But boy, I'm tired of doing it. I got games to play.

Ok let me put my two cents in here relating to your posts.

OCF is not leet only, if you want that, go elsewhere. We have no problems with people coming in and asking from "how do I overclock?" all the way through circuit design or LN2 questions.

This is not an exclusive club, there is no threshhold that makes it legit to post.

Keep it up and you wont be around a very long time.

Be nice you guys.

Or you'll get a big green peepee slap.

Too late, the peepee slap is coming up right now.

No, you don't have a car in the computer room. And Albyno, I don't see how your input furthured this discussion. Why do run anti-freeze in your car, and why is or isn't it required in your PC WC loop? Awaiting your input...............

Conumdrum, like Adragontattoo just posted, this forum isn't for the "leet people" of the overclocking world; as a matter of fact that's why I can hardly stand reading at XS because they have too many that think they know it all and can't be bothered to help the noobs out except to tell them that they are stupid for even thinking differently from them. :rolleyes: On these forums, if you don't want to help out with beginner's questions, then just don't post. But condescending posts such as these have no place on these forums. Albyno asked a valid question and you answered him like an @sshole instead of explaining why it isn't good. And that doesn't help him out and anyways, he meant something different than what you assumed he was implying. If this is the quality of your "help" you will give here, then you had best move on over to XS instead because I won't permit this kind of posting.

Either help out nicely or withhold posting completely and go play elsewhere, understand!

I have read that taking a highlighter and cutting of the tip and letting a Little bit of it mix into your mixture works well too. I did it once and it worked well but i do not know if it has any nasty aftereffects. can anyone comment on that?

ill throw my thoughts in to help put this thread back on track.

auto coolant is fine to use in your PC, if thats what you want to use.
it isnt going to fugger up your pump, or tubing, and will be just fine for anyone, no matter what parts you use in your loop.

now, if that aint your cup of tea, ( like SolidXSnake) i use the red UV color from FrozenCPU.

while it works good, she/he is right that it stains anything it touches like a mofo. a pink color stain!!!! and it aint comoing out after that.

i also added in a little Zerex to the loop as well, but honestly there was no improvement over the distilled water.

now adays, i just use simple distilled water with a little Zerex and algea eater.

since people were talking about anti-freeze... like i said at the top, if it is what you want to use, knock yourself out. alot of old timers like to use the Zerex, which is basicly a motorcycle coolant. i think the viscosity is a little lower with the motorcycle coolant than with typical auto coolant, but really, if your that concerned with the viscosity rating of your fluids.......

i got taken away from my desk and lost my train of thought... will pick up after a bit

Back