• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm a total n00b...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tropicaldawn

So my father randomly comes home and tells me he has come into possession of a new PC. (Bit dodgy sounding but let's not go there. :beer: )

Anyways, he says it has no software and would I be able to install it all myself? I said I could.

Now, I don't know whether it even has Windows or not so I'm preparing myself for the prospect of installing Linux.

Is my understanding of Linux correct?

I download Linux on my current PC.
I copy it onto a CD.
I turn on new computer.
I put in CD.
I follow instuctions.
I now own a computer with an operating system.

Yah pretty much... installing linux is easy assuming there are no HW conflicts..the fun starts afterward, when you cant access your CDROM drive because its "not mounted" LOL

Im sure you will get plenty of support here though

Also when you say "copy to cd" You will need an app like imgburn, nero or alcohol to burn it as a bootable CD.

Neur0mancer said:
Yah pretty much... installing linux is easy assuming there are no HW conflicts..the fun starts afterward, when you cant access your CDROM drive because its "not mounted" LOL

I get that with XP too. :santa:

Neur0mancer said:
Also when you say "copy to cd" You will need an app like imgburn, nero or alcohol to burn it as a bootable CD.

Please tell me these come in open source flavours!

I'm not sure about open source cd burning software for windows, but you can also get some linux distro's to boot off a USB key. DSL (damn small linux) comes to mind, but I think Debian can do the same, so that would completely remove the need to burn a cd. if the old PC won't let you boot from USB, you can download boot floppies for DSL that will tell the pc to use the USB Key as the CD drive.

but yes, you pretty much download, burn, boot, install, enjoy.

I am intrigued by the fact it isn't a 200mb download on top of a 700mb ISO download, and doesn't become useless in 30 days.

Will give it a shot.

Phew! False alarm, it came with Win2000 Pro. And a Pentium 4 3ghz HT which was nice. :)

tropicaldawn said:
Phew! False alarm, it came with Win2000 Pro. And a Pentium 4 3ghz HT which was nice. :)

score! Win2k pro is definitely my favorite windows OS.

Back